I'm Back and need some help.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I'm Back and need some help.

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2008, 13:36

Hi all! I'm back. Good news is that the fissure is all healed. Knock on wood. The bad news is that for the last 3 months I've been having terrible itching. Used creams, powders, etc... to no avail. Nothing to stop the itching. Well finally figured out the source of the problem. Seems like I'm unfortunately having some issue with leakage. Its very minor, so much so that I hadn't detected it until my CRS suggested I use a cotton ball. However that minor leakage is irritating the skin. Of course some days are better than others.
After some test my CRS says the muscle is strong and my control looks good. In fact I have no problem holding gas. He was quite surprised that I'm having the issue. Basically told me to do Kegel exercises and see how things go.
Has anyone on the forum run into a similar problem?

Re: I'm Back and need some help.

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2008, 14:46

If you aren't having problems with continence I wonder if your stools are too soft and you are having leakiness from them being too moist. You are right it stings a lot!!! My husband uses calmoseptine and says it really helps with irritation. Another boardie recommended Gold bond powder to help keep the area dry.
One of the CRSs I saw mentioned putting a cotton ball in the crack so that it absorbs moisture.
Sorry to hear about your setback but hopefully you will be able to get it under control soon. Maybe try some probiotics??

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Oct 2008, 15:31

Vaseline can make physical barrier between anal skin and any kind of fluid. My first CRS recommended it after I had LIS and my fissurectomy wound was still leaking fluids and it helped a lot.
Hope you will get rid of that nuisance soon !!! : )
PS: In my experience , fluids leak easier than gas LOL ; ) I never had problem keeping gas but wounds managed to drain out and that is actually good for the wound , but with fecal matter it can probably be VERY itchy and annoying . I think that anus makes its own lubricating fluids and that the left-over of previous BM gets mixed in and than can leak Image Just my theory Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2008, 15:58

Thanks Guys! Lecia your thought about the soft stool is interesting. Maybe I should try adding foods that will "bulk-up" my stool. It is quite soft at the moment. I think Rice and bananas help. Any other suggestions?

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2008, 16:57

Bulk forming fiber like Konsyl or my old standby All Bran Buds! That will absorb fluid from the colon.

Postby happyass » 08 Oct 2008, 19:22

so you are suffering from itching!
well combining a good wash, then a complete dry with blow dry on cool setting and then applying a thin thin layer of palmers or vaseline (don't apply all the way inside, but just coat the outside of the anus as this will make its way into your anus eventually)....and then put in place a nice little square or rectangular piece of thin cotton to help absorb any moisture.
this will help with the itching.
if you know you are leaking, then have baby wipes with you so you can at least wipe gently the leaking if you are at work and don't have access to shower - or even shower 3 or more times a day depending on how many times you leak.....and then pat dry. and replace cotton square in place.
this is good for ani pruritus (aka anal itching) and what was recommended by my CRS.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Jen » 08 Oct 2008, 22:08

Bum issues -
I am so happy your surgery has been a success. It is so nice to have someone come back healed.
Have you tried metamucil or benefiber to put a little bulk in those stools?
Lecia - What is Konsyl? What are the All Bran Buds. I have heard you talk about them before, but I went to the store and could not find them. I looked in the cereal isle because it sounded like a cereal to me. Do they work well for you? BTW - Your house is beautiful!!! Image It looks like a doll house - so pretty! I am sick of living in the desert in my stucco house! Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2008, 05:53

Good theory Fiss!
I have been a little leaky too because of botox :roll: I find vaseline works a treat for stinging/ irritation it will help to protect the skin!
Nice to hear of healing Bum Issues !

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2008, 06:30

Hey Jen-did you see the smiley I put on here for you? Image
The konsyl is a bulk pysllium based powder that I think works better than metamucil. It is a little harder to find and sometimes I have to ask at the pharmacy of the drugstore where it is.
The All Bran buds are a cereal. It's put out by Kelloggs and I often find it on the top shelf of the cereal aisle. They look a lot like grape nuts. I know they make a difference in my potty time. I hope you can find some.
You need to get stationed in the south where homes are cheap! We have some in our neighborhood that have been on the market for almost a year!

Postby cherylk » 09 Oct 2008, 07:35

Lecia,
Why do you think that Kynsol works better than metamucil?
cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46