Trouble due to antibiotics?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Trouble due to antibiotics?

Postby small_flower » 02 Dec 2008, 21:23

Hi boardies,
I have gotten a bacterial infection, and so I am on an antibiotic which has a side effect of constipation. I am not truly constipated, in that, I am still going to the bathroom every day, but the BMs are hard to pass because they are big, and so I don't know if this is because of the meds, or if I am not getting enough water.
I have upped my Magnesium glycinate to 200 milligrams. For those of you on the same thing:
1) have you noticed that you have had to up your dose after awhile? Did your body build up a resistance?
2) Do you find that it works better if you take it during the day, rather than at night? (perhaps your body has more time to digest and use the magnesium this way?)
3) any other advice.
Thanks boardies. I hope that you all had a wonderful thanksgiving. Right now I am a long term substitute in a kindergarten classroom, and I am having a great time! Things a bit a stressful, but, the kids are great, along with the parents and other staff. I have plenty of support, so thats great. Who knows, maybe my problems are a combination of stress+antibiotics+not enough water. I know it will pass, but I just got a little upset when I saw blood on the toilet paper this evening. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Trouble due to antibiotics?

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Dec 2008, 01:17

So sorry Kete Image I am sure by now you know how to make it even softer for a time being - until things settle down with poop and antibiotics. I am sorry that I can not offer any advice since I never get constipated , but try to add some extra fiber and proven ol' prunes and /or Colace.
Best of luck Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2008, 05:54

Sorry to hear that Small Flower Image
I am a newbie to magnesuim but so far i have had really good results using 100-150mg , I take mine with my last meal !
Absolutely try taking acidophillis twice a day while on the A/Bs !
I do sympathise A/Bs wreck havoc with the digestive system Image

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2008, 08:03

Hi Kate,
I think you should up your mag glycinate by one pill while you are on the antibiotics. I haven't built up a resistance and have used it for 1 1/2 years but when I have to take something constipating I will up my normal dose since I am out of my normal rhythm. Are you on metronidazole by chance?
I would just start with this since you are still going every day. Prunes work too but for me they can be a bit acidic coming out and burn but it does cause peristalsis of the digestive tract so you should be able to improve your motility and reduce the size of the bms if things are moving more quickly.
Your job sounds fun and exhausting! I have one in Kindy this year.

Postby happyass » 03 Dec 2008, 11:37

stress+antibiotics+not enough water
i think that is definitely enough to do it!
definitely drink more water and/or green tea.
keep taking your antibiotics as prescribed. i would add a light yogurt and pre or probiotics yogurt. maybe you can eat one for breakfast and another later in the day as a snack.
and reduce your stress by either just stretching, taking a walk, or just giving yourself a few moments alone or just prepare to have a really good sleep.......
you'll soon get through this.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby small_flower » 03 Dec 2008, 19:46

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for all the replies and support. I always know I can count on kind words and reassurance here.
I took 200 mg of Magnesium last night and things were absolutely fine this morning Image
I am trying to drink more water, which is hard when you have 18, 5 and 6 year olds who need your constant attention. I'm getting there though.
And yes, Kindbum-- I am on Metronidazole. I don't enjoy it. I'm almost done. I'm just glad that the AB's haven't given me a yeast infection. I was afraid that was going to happen, but it hasn't.
Thanks for your help!
:redlove:
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby happyass » 03 Dec 2008, 22:35

ahhh. little bear has to take metronidazole every day for the rest of his life to help his liver shunt.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74