Wondering if I should get LIS over break or wait - help!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Wondering if I should get LIS over break or wait - help!

Postby crimeofpassion » 24 Feb 2009, 18:17

I've had a fissure since last April/May. I've been on diltiazem cream as well as nitro cream (I'm still using the latter, actually), but I'm still experiencing discomfort. I used to have pain constantly, but the nitro has helped to the point where I generally only have pain during/after a BM, or after I'm sitting for long periods. Of course, there are always exceptions. Lately, though, even the BM pain hasn't been horrible, which is nice! Image However, I still get painless muscle spasms/twitches, which tells me that the area is still too tight to fully heal. The nitro just can't keep the area relaxed enough.
I scheduled LIS over my spring break (I'm a college student), but am wondering if I should cancel and reschedule it for summer. I only have a week off for spring break, and while my surgeon says that should be sufficient, I'm just not sure... College involves a lot of walking around (very quickly!) and sitting on uncomfortable chairs all day, which makes me nervous. I recently had my wisdom teeth removed and it didn't go that well. I'm still having pain almost a month later. So I feel paranoid now. :roll:
On the other hand, I want this thing to start healing as soon as possible. Its been almost a year already. I want to study abroad in another year or so, and this thing REALLY needs to be healed by then! Image
What do you guys think? I just don't know if I should go for it or play it safe and wait. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Wondering if I should get LIS over break or wait - help!

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2009, 19:17

Tough call! But IMHO, I don't think Spring break is long enough for you to heal from this. I think you would be rushing your recovery and then with all the sitting and walking you might set yourself back and be in worse shape then you are now. I think probably you need LIS but if you can maintain right now and make it through the semester I would do it during the Summer.

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Feb 2009, 19:17

I would wait for the summer - it is around the corner (3.5 months) and since you are fully functional now you have a luxury of waiting it out Image ! Why risking going into midterms and finals in possibly more pain - however unlikely that scenario is. BUT, only you can decide what you can endure and I wish you luck with whatever you decide . Image
And yes, you definitely want that fixed before you leave the country !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby crimeofpassion » 08 Mar 2009, 18:45

How long does it generally take before one feels good enough to go back to school/work/everyday life after LIS?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Mar 2009, 18:58

COP, that is not an easy question! Image It will vary from person to person, and from CRS to CRS. I have known a few on this board just go right back to work in a couple days, I have even known of people who had LIS done as an outpatient procedure and they walked home afterward!
On the other hand, my CRS told me two to three weeks recovery, and I was back at work in a week and a half.
I think one question to ask is how bad is your BM pain *now* ...that might give you a general idea...as the spasm pain will (should be) gone immediately after the operation.
I want to agree with Tootie, you need as much time as you can get. But waiting until late May or June might be difficult, too. Is there anyway you can tag on some extra days in addition to the spring break?
Conservatively speaking, I would have to say 2-3 weeks because unlike many other surgeries, there is really no way to know exactly how long the recovery will take.
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 08 Mar 2009, 20:48

Spring back is only 9 days (counting the 2 weekends). :(
The surgery is scheduled for this Friday. I have to decide by tomorrow morning if I want to do it or not...
I'm thinking I won't. I really want to get this over with, but I'm terrified of what will happen if the 9 days isn't long enough! I'd be, well, screwed.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2009, 04:35

Nothing is ever as bad as it seems Crimesofpassion !
What you have to weigh up is your life if you dont go ahead with the LIS :roll:
If you need extra recovery time would it be an option to do college work from home ?

Postby Corsi » 09 Mar 2009, 06:24

Difficult...as Kim says, people/fissures are different.
2 weeks since my surgery now, I am not fit to go back to that kind of active lifestyle yet...
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2009, 07:18

I know the majority of us recommend just waiting since you are able to function. Then you wouldn't feel so rushed and panicked about healing.

Postby crimeofpassion » 11 Mar 2009, 17:30

Well, I decided to cancel. I've just got too much homework over break! Plus, I don't feel a week is long enough to heal.
I'm a bit bummed, since I'll have to deal with the pain for even longer now (I'll have had this fissure for a year in April - who would have thought?!), but there's nothing I can really do.
Thanks for your advice, everyone!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist