Need your opinion on the recovery process...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Need your opinion on the recovery process...

Postby buttmachine » 15 Mar 2009, 14:45

Fissy has it right. I hadn't heard of that either, until it apparently happened to me -- and the doc assaulted me with a Q-Tip as a result.
There's no discharge, and I've never seen any pus in the area. Granted, it's probably a little harder to see when you're looking in the mirror with a flashlight and you're not a doctor. There's really been no change in my discomfort level for the past couple of months, save for the two really painful trips to the doctor's office.
So his point was that even if it does roof over, as long as it's not causing me pain or getting infected, he can always look at it under anesthesia and lay it open later.
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 15 Mar 2009, 17:05

Go with the flow Buttmachine !

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Mar 2009, 00:40

Thanks for giving Fissy a pat on the beck Buttmachine :D She feels very proud Image
I wish you complete and fast healing :paddysmiley1:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttmachine » 28 Mar 2009, 11:02

Hi everyone,
It's been about two weeks since my last post, and I think things are looking up. To my untrained eye, the fissurectomy incision looks more closed and less angry than it did when my doctor finally agreed to a more hands-on approach.
I've been taking the bus and subway and walking instead of riding my bike, doing the bath about three times a week, antibiotic ointment before bed, and a little dab of Carmex before and after a movement. Don't know if it's time, routine or what I'm applying back there that's doing the job, but I'm hoping my next visit to the doctor in about three weeks is nice and easy.
Have a great weekend!
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 28 Mar 2009, 11:17

I hope your next visit has a great outcome ! Image Keep up the good work Buttmachine ! Image

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Mar 2009, 11:37

That's wonderful news BM (pun intended)!!
Really, the best indicator is gonna be how your butt feels, I'm not sure if I'd want to visually try to determine that, but it can't hurt beyond adding to your anxiety unnecessarily. Let pain or lack thereof be your guide.
You'll be off that bus and back on your bike soon. Just don't rush it, so you won't have any further setbacks and this can all become just a bad memory all the more quickly.
Deleted User 5

Postby buttmachine » 29 May 2009, 09:29

Just got back from the doctor's this morning -- first checkup in six weeks. He says I'm still not completely healed, and he's concerned about it -- that something more serious, like an abscess, is not likely to happen but could happen.
Meanwhile, on my end, I feel absolutely fine. I have no pain, no spasms, no bleeding, and I've gone back to riding my bicycle as of a few weeks ago. So I'm a little puzzled as to what he's seeing that I'm not feeling, but then again I never had a very painful fissure to begin with.
He's given me three options at this point:
1. Let him thoroughly examine me under general in the OR, or local in his office, and more than likely lay the incision open to make it finally heal properly.
2. Have a new colleague of his, who just joined the practice and is a CRS (mine is a general surgeon) examine me and see what he thinks.
3. Do nothing, come back in 8 weeks, and then choose #1 or #2.
I was noncommittal and didn't even make a follow-up appointment. My every instinct is telling me to just leave it alone and not even go back in 8 weeks, unless I suddenly develop pain or some kind of infection. I don't have a problem being examined by another doctor (though my examinations by this one are not exactly pleasant). But the idea of going under the knife again -- when the surgeon may have been a little over-aggressive last time by doing a fissurectomy that still hasn't completely healed -- and going through that recovery process yet again, seems INSANE to me.
Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 May 2009, 10:09

I think if it was me, as long as I am feeling fine, I would opt for #3. I agree, another thorough exam right now might be a bit much, especially given the "aggressive" methods he seems to employ.
I'm not quite sure why you are worried about going under the knife, that doesn't seem to be at all necessary. You are doing Ok, the fissure just hasn't completely healed. As long as you are not in severe or even moderate pain, I would just be extra careful diet- and otherwise, keep the stools soft and see if it doesn't continue to heal
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 29 May 2009, 10:26

I would go with #3 also.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 29 May 2009, 15:32

I wold go for the second opinion :roll: Non healing fissure definitely can have some underlying cause Image CRS saw more butts than general surgeon and might have better insight (if he is competent and experienced - of course !!! ) If any of them suggest silver nitrate again - I would run for my life to the new doctor !!!
Best of luck with whatever you decide !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61