Need your opinion on the recovery process...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Need your opinion on the recovery process...

Postby buttmachine » 07 Mar 2009, 19:49

Hi everyone,
I won't restate the whole story because it's in my earlier posts. But I had LIS, fissurectomy and skin tag removal a little less than three months ago.
My last trip to the doctor was somewhat reassuring at least while I was there, because he says I'm healing -- just a little slower than usual. He says there's no sign of infection or fistula, the wound is clean, and he's never had to re-operate after doing thousands of these procedures. Still, he insisted on using the scope, which was painful, and he did another round of silver nitrate, which was again worse after the fact than when he was applying it. (It was a much more thorough application this time.)
He has decided he now wants to see me every week, after I talked him down to every other week last time I saw him. He says there's nothing I can do differently to expedite the healing process, and in fact, I should go back to riding my bike to work because it's good exercise and shouldn't hurt the wound. (I had stopped for two weeks to try to heal some more and because it's been very cold and snowy here.)
Beginning almost immediately after my doctor's visit, the burning from the silver nitrate was so severe I had trouble walking and sitting down. I don't remember being this uncomfortable since a day or two after my surgery, and I'm thankful I had the day off so I could go home and rest afterwards. Meanwhile, I'm frustrated because when I look at myself in the mirror, upside down with a flashlight, I have no idea how to spot improvements in the situation or what I'm supposed to look like when I'm healed.
My question to the group is this: based on your experience, does any of this sound right? My worst days are when I come back from the doctor's office. Ordinarily, I have very little pain or discomfort at all during a movement or while cleaning up. But I just don't understand how having painful, invasive examinations and irritating the wound with silver nitrate to the point where it hurts and starts to discharge is supposed to help me heal, and now I have to go do this every week. I'm not a doctor and I have to live with this thing, and my instinct tells me we should leave it alone and let it heal on its own. My doctor takes a more hands-on approach. (Ouch!)
Any thoughts? Thanks again.
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Need your opinion on the recovery process...

Postby val » 08 Mar 2009, 03:18

I think if I was in your situation I would get a second opinion! I've had such bad experiences with incompetent doctors and I think you should trust your own instincts! Different doctors have different approaches and different thoughts on all this so there can't be a "right" or "wrong" way or they would all have the same opinion on it!
It's your butt - it should be your choice what happens to it!
Glad things are getting better for you!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Corsi » 08 Mar 2009, 05:55

I have had 3 Botox shots and now LIS 2 weeks ago so my situation is a bit different from yours, but what I have experienced is that different CRS poke around inside you in different ways...
After my first Botox I had so much pain during BM and during the days - it was terrible, and it lasted for a week. My butt was badly bruised as well, I had so many colours down there.
After the second Botox, and another CRS, I expected the same pain again, but to my surprise it was just minor pain and only for 1 - 2 days - and hardly bruised at all. The same CRS has done 3rd Botox and LIS, and I have to say - he is very gentle.
I have also asked him to be careful when inserting the ultrasound, etc. I told him to not push against the fissure and such.
I do think they can mess around too much and they can cause damage, and I don't think they are very much aware of it. They don't know the pain we have, how can they?
I think if he wants to check up on your butt every week he has to be very careful, very careful. I would not let him do ANYTHING painful...I agree with Val, it's your butt!
Good luck :)
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Mar 2009, 19:06

I think a good question is, why is he using the silver nitrate, what does that do to speed healing?
Deleted User 5

Postby buttmachine » 08 Mar 2009, 19:18

He says it cauterizes the wound and reduces granulation tissue. I've done a little quick research online and found that silver nitrate is used for cauterization fairly often, especially with nosebleeds and that sort of thing.
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Mar 2009, 19:28

Oh, yes, that's right! I have seen it used for nosebleeds.
Next question, (pertinent I think since you state the procedure seems too invasive) is why is he using it in your case, is this something he typically does post-op for most of his patients or is it because you are healing slower than normal? Something to ask since I haven't seen any post-LIS boardies here who have had silver nitrate offered them.
As for you, the question is, are you staying off the bike? :)
Deleted User 5

Postby buttmachine » 08 Mar 2009, 19:32

He says it's because I'm healing slower than normal -- which might have something to do with the fact that he forced the wound open with a cotton swab a couple months ago.
As for the bike, the doctor says it shouldn't affect my healing process... and I'd very much like to start getting exercise and fresh air again!
buttmachine
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Mar 2009, 19:55

You seem determined to get on that bike and I respect that!
I for one could not even remotely imagine riding a bike while I had my fissure or during my recovery process. It just sounds counterintuitive to think it would not affect your healing.
For me it would be a matter of priorities if I was an avid biker. A few months without the same level of exercise pre-LIS would be a small price to pay.
I don't want to sound entrenched and hard-headed, but serious medical conditions can cause serious lifestyle changes and you're quite fortunate that you get the option to heal and get your life back. I personally don't believe the biking could help things. I'd heal first then get back to my routine.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2009, 04:54

Hi Buttmachine !
I would tell your CRS how you feel, i can totally understand your concerns to being probed everyweek ! BMS are bad enough right !
I agree with Kim about bike riding :roll:
Just give yourself time to heal and strengthen the area first then you can bike until your heart is content :)

Postby Corsi » 09 Mar 2009, 06:16

buttmachine wrote:As for the bike, the doctor says it shouldn't affect my healing process... and I'd very much like to start getting exercise and fresh air again!

Image I would NOT listen to that doctor...they say a lot of things those doctors. They should be more humble and not pretend to know what is right all the time.
I was told that I could go to the gym and lift weights with a fissure who was 3x2 cm by my GP, and I did! The pain I had that day and the following days was Image
We would all of us like to start exercising and be more active buttmachine, but the last year has taught me that I can "want" to do things as much as I want...it doesn't matter if I'm not in charge...my body is, or rather this evil fissure is in charge and is the decision maker when it comes to what I can do. I hate it, but I still have to accept it.
I agree with Kim here...
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18