need opinion on surgery...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: need opinion on surgery...

Postby juney » 03 Apr 2009, 15:32

it is such a huge decision to have more surgery....i wouldn't go thru recovery from my last surgery again for anything in the world...unless God Himself gave me a 100% guarantee i'd be painfree forever Image
kerrbear seems to be making quick progress after flap surgery, but i wonder how typical that is. and since you have other health/pain complications it could be even harder for you val.
i don't know what you should do!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby pinky » 03 Apr 2009, 16:02

Dear Val,tough decision to take in such less time.i know things have gone wrong for you before but you cant be negative now.there is a good chance you can be free of your butt problems with this procedure.it is a very painful procedure and recovery can be long too but everyone is different.isnt kerrbear recovering well after this procedure?
is it possible to postpone it for a while till your back gets better?do inform the nurse at preop about your problems and they will take more care.
noone can tell you what to do val.you have to weigh the advantages over the disadvantages and take the decision for yourself.Good luck val.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2009, 18:42

Yeah, this is a tough decision for sure. I would be scared to get anything else done too. But, you have been dealing with the fissure problem for so long that it might be time to try something new. But when it comes down to it we have to trust our instincts. I can completely understand your hesitancy.
How is your leg and back and neck doing?
Sorry if my posts are kind of short and garbled-I know how it feel to try to type all bungled up now. Sometimes I can only use one hand.

Postby Guest » 16 Apr 2009, 03:37

Any thoughts about the surgery, Val ??

Postby val » 17 Apr 2009, 10:19

I cancelled it today!!
I rang and asked if I could have an appt. with my CRS to discuss whether I really need this or not and she said the first appt. she's got is in september!! Sooo,I shall ring his private secretary next week and get a private appt. hopefully within the next few weeks.
When I rang, she said they dont decide whether to do the flap advancement until they do the EUA. But I want a choice!! I dont want my CRS to decide while I'm asleep, without giving me options !
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby cherylk » 17 Apr 2009, 10:51

What is the EUA, Val??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby val » 17 Apr 2009, 12:18

Examination Under Anaesthesia! A lovely pain-free way to have a butt-probing Image Image (apart from the needles of course!! Image )
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Apr 2009, 13:06

I am sure you are doing the right thing, Val, and I really really really hope things start to resolve themselves soon
I don't know what to tell you about the choice or lack thereof about the anal flap procedure, but surely it must be something they just won't have a handle on until they actually begin the operation?
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 17 Apr 2009, 13:49

Gosh! Good luck, Val. You have been through sooo much.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Apr 2009, 18:13

I agree Val Image !!!! You need to recover from all of the surgeries and have your back and leg healed before undergoing ANOTHER GA and not to mention post-op pain , baths , etc. Image . If you can tolerate butt discomfort and it is under control- there is no rush - couple of more months will not make fissure worse now that your sphincter is somewhat looser than it originally was Image . My CRS also told me that he will examine it all before surgery and than decide what to do and it was like that LOL - I expected LIS and woke up with LIS and 5 more cuts Image ! I was horrified at first and thought that I would NEVER heal and was in MUCH worse condition than before - but at the end - it turned out that he did everything right Image ! It is soooo, sooo hard to trust doctors after so many mistakes they make - I completely understand you, sigh... Image They like to do investigation under anestesia because they can put special chemical in outer sphincter (the one that keeps anus closed- one that we see in the mirror). Than anus relaxes completely and is 5 inch in diameter - Image - eeeeeek !!!! Yeah - the glory of colorectal aparatus LOL !!!! Anways - when it is so relaxed it has NONE of the folds or crevices and they can examine it in detail since it looks like sretched out tube. There is no way a fissure can hide that way and they can examine it in detail as well as color of the anal tissue , look for inflamation, internal centenial piles and such. That is how my CRS explained it to me. Mine second fissure could not be seen at all before he cought it on camera during colonoscopy, for example. Four CRS's did anoskopy and NONE , inclooding him could see it at all !!!! BUT, he was the only one who said that even though he could not see it during regular exam, that he was almost 100% sure that the bugger is there but hidden in the folds - and he was right !!!! All other CRSs just told me that I have some iritation going on and to try this and that , blah blah blah ...
To make the story short , my dearest buddy - maybe it is necessary to "make a call" on the spot sometimes Image - it was necessary with me ...
I wish you the best of luck our Image !!! You will resolve it all one day - I have no doubt about that !!!!!
XOXOOOOOOOOOOOO Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61