need opinion on surgery...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

need opinion on surgery...

Postby val » 02 Apr 2009, 12:27

Well, today I got a call from the nurse at the hospital to go in for pre-op swab tests before the end of next week, to have surgery within 3 weeks. But my situation at the moment is......
mini-spasms sometimes,
retears every 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes for 3 weeks at a time, but the last time only about a week,
bad pain all day when it does retear, but mostly tolerable,
fairly ok most of the time, although odd swollen feeling there a lot.
Based on this, would you bother to go ahead with the flap advancement? Especially with my track record of things going wrong!! And the fact that my back is in a very fragile state and they ain't very careful with their patients!!
Thanks for any input! xx
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: need opinion on surgery...

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2009, 15:00

It’s a tough call Val after all you have been through just latley but there is just that chance you could have none of those butt symptoms - wouldn’t life be grand !?? Image
You have a very competent surgeon Val, the same one who fixed you up before that in itself is a blessing !
The hospital would have to be careful with you they must know about your recent surgery of course you can tell them all this and insist they be extra gentle :roll:
Go with your gut feeling ..

Postby juney » 02 Apr 2009, 15:15

i say go for it. if you can find a solution to your butt probs once and for all, might as well give it a try! your symptoms now don't seem horrible but you're still having symptoms and that's an indication all's not well.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby cherylk » 02 Apr 2009, 16:17

I agree with Tabby--go with your gut feeling, Val. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Apr 2009, 18:33

Gee, Val. I find it hard to accept that the hospital would be an unsafe place to move you around in, especially during and after surgery. Is there anyone on your medical staff you can discuss that with?
If they helped once, I'm sure they can help again. There's no denying the initial recovery days would be rough for you. Still, you know how to take care of your butt better than anyone...
As for your track record of things going wrong, I don't buy that, I don't think you are cursed. Not at all. In fact, the odds are in your favor something will go right for a change.
You do have to ultimately go with your gut, I third that!
Three weeks is quite soon!
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 03 Apr 2009, 01:10

Image thanks for your opinions! My gut feeling is to run away from it Image
I do have the same surgeon (well, hopefully!!) but its in an NHS hospital this time, not the private one. And Kim - I'm not sure it's very safe in our hospitals - after all, last time I went in for a neck op and came out with a free gift of a back disc put out!! Image That HAD to be their fault as I came around from the anaesthetic not being able to move my leg.And I have had a really terrible thing happen in hospital about 8 years ago, so that's why it makes me freak out at the thought of going in there!
Its true it could cure it once and for all - but...... it could make it worse! Yeah, and 3 weeks isnt long to decide! Hmmmm...........!! Image
val
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 03 Apr 2009, 02:21

val wrote: I went in for a neck op and came out with a free gift of a back disc put out!! Image
Could you talk to them and tell about all that has happend, and what you worry will happen? I understand you being sceptical after what you have been through, but wouldn't it be good to kill that fissure for good? You became better after first LIS didn't you? Maybe one more would do the trick?
It is only you who can decide this Val, and there's no guarantee for anything, but sometimes surgery is the last option...
Image Image :sprinkleheart: Image Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby val » 03 Apr 2009, 14:27

its not a second LIS, its the anal flap advancement! Even my GP today advised me not to go ahead with it unless it was absolutely necessary as it was really painful op and was a long recovery. He said to just stay on the nitro!
val
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 03 Apr 2009, 14:48

OK, sorry I don't know what that that is. What is it supposed to do/why do you need it?
Painful op, and long surgery...is that what you need now Val? You have been through a lot. Is it guaranteed to help?
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2009, 15:10

A procedure called anal advancement flap may be done instead of sphincterotomy. In this procedure, the edges of the fissure are removed, and healthy tissue is sewn over the area.
Kerrbear is the only boardie we have for first hand info here :roll: I wonder how she is doing !
Its a tough one Val Image