I'm confused...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I'm confused...

Postby Michelle » 28 May 2009, 12:03

I had LIS in April and my Dr. has told me that I should start using the nitro cream again. I'm confused. Shouldn't the LIS be enough to heal the fissure and if it's not healing I probably need a second LIS because he didn't cut enough?
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: I'm confused...

Postby Corsi » 28 May 2009, 13:29

What did the doctor say? Why does he want you to use it? To help the healing?
How are you doing now, do you think LIS has helped you?
Corsi (LIS February 23rd)
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Michelle » 28 May 2009, 13:41

I went in for a check-up at 1 week and he told me to start using the nitro. I then went back at 5 weeks post-op and wasn't any better. He looked and said I had some sort of skin tags growing that was keeping the wound from healing. He put silver nitrate on it to burn them off and was explaining this at the same time. It hurt so bad that I almost passed out so needless to say I had a hard time paying attention. I felt like I was healing and almost no pain with BMs but just this week I had two spots of blood and could feel it rip a little. Ugh.
How are you Corsi? Are you healing up???
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2009, 22:37

I would suggest you to go to another CRS for second opinion !!!! None of what he did or advised is correlating with standard protocol Image . Most CRS advise to stop using Nitro after the LIS unless absolutely necessary and skin tags do not prevent healing - they are result of body trying to heal after the inflicted trauma !!!! Skin tags can become problem by themselves if they become too big , but that is another story ! Silver nitrate is RARELY used nowadays in CRS office due to it's HIGH toxicity and I NEVER heard skin-tags being burned with it ! I am strongly advising you to go to another doctor for a second opinion.
Wishing you the best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 29 May 2009, 07:56

Thanks for asking Michelle :)
I had problems from 11th - 16th of May, I ripped a bit on the 14th of May and that week I had a really tight feeling. I was very stressed the weeks before and the week it happend, but I honestly don't know what it was. I heal I guess, but it is VERY slow this healing process...we have to be patient Michelle.
It feels so bad when we have these setback, but I guess for some of us they will come and we just have to accept them.
Image Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 30 May 2009, 08:18

I say you need time to heal Michelle at 5 weeks i did not feel anywhere near healed !
Do you feel spasms/tightness still ??

Postby Michelle » 31 May 2009, 14:55

I never actually felt the spasms. I can feel the little cuts though whenever I sit. I'm just so frustrated. I'm going to start the nitro again and see what happens. I have a hard time believing that will solve the problem but maybe I will be surprised.
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Postby crimeofpassion » 04 Jun 2009, 15:33

Well, my doctor told me not to use my cream anymore, which confused me, as I'm still having spasms! I had my surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I'm still getting the spasms. They're really freaking me out, because I'm wondering if the surgery wasn't a success. And my surgeon told me it wasn't common for the spasms to continue like this.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Jun 2009, 15:50

COP, you are entitled to a second opinion, even a third or forth if you wish. Why not seek one out. Fissy had a second LIS and *that* seemed to be the charm for her. Not saying your case is the same...but if you feel there is basically no improvement after LIS, then you need to see another doctor. After all, medicine is a "practice" and some practice better than others...
Just a thought. Hope you feel better FAST!
Deleted User 5

Postby Michelle » 29 Jul 2009, 18:58

Just an update...I went to a CRS mid-June and he saw two fissures (the same ones I had before surgery) and spasming. I now think I have a third fissure. (It was the first one I had and I think it retore.) He gave me nifidepine to try and said that if I don't heal in 2-4 weeks with the cream then the cream will never bring healing for me and I'll need surgery. It was nice to get an honest answer. I have a second surgery scheduled for the end of August and am hoping that will do the trick. Oh, I know every CRS is different but mine said that using silver nitrate is "old school" (big surprise there) as is a fissurectomy. He said a fissurectomy is used only when absolutely necessary. Wish I would have know that before!
Michelle
Fibre Addict