new to forum - question about pain location

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new to forum - question about pain location

Postby pcherry328 » 04 Jul 2009, 19:28

Hi all - i am new to the forum. Really glad i found it. I am a fellow AF sufferer. Scheduled to have LIS on 7/24. I am in a significant amount of pain currently - but it is very different from when i first got the fissure about a year ago. Currently i have pain just under my tailbone just above my butt crack. I know TMI - but that was the best way to describe the location :0). It feels very sore and very hard to sit down in a chair without leaning to one side or the other. I told the CRS this when i went. But when she went to examine me - she couldnt see anything because of all the spasms and pain i was in and she didnt want to hurt me further. Said it would be best to put me under to explore to see what was going on and then do the LIS if necessary.
Just wondering if anyone else has had pain in this location - could it be a spasm or what???
Any help is much appreciated!
pcherry328

Topics: 1

Re: new to forum - question about pain location

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Jul 2009, 17:52

Hi Pcherry and welcome to our little board!
It is possible your fissure is nearby the location you describe, they are often visible without an exam and can be in any position aroung the circle of the anus. As for the spasms, I can best describe the ones I had as a painful, spasmodic clenching that came in waves for several hours after the morning BM. It was a very distinct and recognizable "pain."
So you really don't know what is going on down there and won't until after the surgeon puts you under and checks, it seems. If you do get LIS at that time, be prepared for a 2-3 week recovery (check our surgery board if you haven't already) although many people recover quicker, and a few take a bit longer.
Good luck and hopefully they won't find any fissure when you are checked and it will be something simple to take care of! Let us know what happens later this month!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2009, 06:50

I agree with Kim. I had pain similar to that and it felt different than the burning and farther up. I'd say if you have had the fissure and spasms for a year, you'll be so relieved after LIS. My fissure is taking awhile to heal itself, but spasms are next to none and I am 80 percent better! Let us know how you are doing. My guess is if you have been dealing with this so long you have already tried creams and such?

Postby pcherry328 » 18 Jul 2009, 21:26

Yep - i was given the usual... analpram, nifed, and nitro was the last one i tried. it seemed to help in the beginning - but then after a month and a half it stopped. Tried the fiber increase - but that just made me go more often each day - aggravating the condition even more.... So like so many on here - i would get better, then worse, then better and worse. My surgery has been moved up to Monday the 20th now. i am a little nervous about what the pain afterwards will be like - but i just tell myself i have been in pain for almost a year now - so how bad can this be???
thanks so much for posting a reply. i will give an update later in the week after the surgery. thanks for all the info on this forum. I am very grateful for finding it. Nice to know i am not the only one that suffers with this.
pcherry328

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Jul 2009, 07:09

Hmm, so is your surgery today, Pcherry? Let us know how it turns out, if so...! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby pcherry328 » 22 Jul 2009, 18:47

Hi all - just wanted to let you know... I had my surgery on Monday July 20th. CRS confirmed i did have a fissure and it was so deep it would have never healed on its own. She also removed a skin tag. While i was very nervous about having this done - i would not change my mind for nothing. i have already begun to notice the pain i described in my original post is gone.... Yeah!!! I do still have soreness from the actual surgery site - but that is a piece of cake and easily handled with tylenol. I will have to admit - pain on the day i got home was horrible - i would have gladly delivered 10 babies as opposed to going thru that again. But 2 days later and i feel 100% better. First BM was a little scary - but doing the sitz baths have worked wonders. i take 4 or 5 a day. Have not been back to work - but plan to go in for a few hours tomorrow as i have a desk job. So anyone out there - have the surgery. I suffered for a year with this and agonized about having this done. Wished i had done it back in November when the dr originally suggested it - but i didnt. I would have had months of my life back if i did. But either way.- i am on the road to recovery and look forward to a life without daily pain and having to work my life around bm's and pain.... Thanks again for all of the wonderful info on this forum. it has been a lifesaver.
pcherry328

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Jul 2009, 19:08

That sounds like a great start, Pcherry, except for perhaps the terrible pain the day of the surgery. Did they not give you something strong for the pain right after surgery, they did for me and I sure needed it. In fact I took all they would give me that first day, and never had any bad pain after initially waking up. Glad to hear you made it through the first BM and you are finding out how soothing and comforting those sitz baths really are post surgery!
Just do not sit on your arse anymore than is absolutely necessary for the next couple weeks, at the very least! Stick to a good, AF friendly diet and enjoy all the warm soaking baths you can (they will assist in healing, too!) -- and remember your fissure still needs to heal and that will take a few more weeks -- in fact, most likely a couple months or longer.
Sounds great for now, though, you will get your life back regardless! Better late than never!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 23 Jul 2009, 06:15

Pcherry,
Glad to read of your good news. Image Best wishes for a rapid recovery from the surgery.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46