Bad News

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Bad News

Postby suzyljank » 08 Sep 2009, 14:58

I'm very upset. Just got back from the CRS, a follow up from my LIS surgery almost a year ago. My fissure healed but I was still having pain and spasms sometimes. Turns out it's what the CRS called a mild stenosis from an old surgery and when I have a bm the area doesn't stretch much at all so I still get mini tears on occassion and they cause pain until they heal. Then sometimes I go months and I'm fine but then it will happen again and it's such a vicious cycle. He thinks the only solution at this point in a sliding anal flap advancement on only one side. He's a very good surgeon that's why he did the LIS first. He said sometimes that's all you need but although it helped me it just didn't help enough. Has anyone had this procedure and how painful is it. I'm so mad at myself and scared all at the same time. I wish this would all just go away. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Bad News

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Sep 2009, 15:57

Well at least what you describe doesn't sound quite as horrible as having the full blown AF, if that's any comfort. And if his diagnosis is correct, then you are on the path towards actually getting better...it is just taking more than you bargained for! :(
I don't think any current boardies have had that procedure, but we have had posters in the past who had it. Maybe we'll hear from someone soon!
Deleted User 5

Postby suzyljank » 08 Sep 2009, 19:12

Thanks, the LIS surgery I had last oct. did heal a very big deep fissure so in that respect I was lucky. The CRS wants to do this sliding flap advancement on only one side to create a bigger opening so stretching won't cause tearing. He said stricture or stenosis is an unfortunate after effect of hemmie surgery and it usually takes years before you really notice. My hemmie surgery was back in 1982. I never put it together, the difficult bms and all. I guess I never really had true constipation just a tight butt that made it difficult to have a bm. Do these problems ever end? Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Guest » 09 Sep 2009, 05:34

Oh Suzie I am sorry to hear this but kudos to your CRS for having a plan in mind at least !
We had one girl, Keerbear who did very well with A/F/A
Here is her thread if you are interested -
http://anal-fissure.org/general-anal-fissure-discussion-f2/advancement-flap-surgery-t1136-15.htm#39925
I do hope your surgery is a complete success and you get 100% healing ! Image
Lovely avator BTW :)

Postby suzyljank » 09 Sep 2009, 07:07

Hi, didn't sleep last night. I knew I was having some trouble still after LIS but never thought the CRS was going to say I needed more surgery. He's a really nice doctor though. He never pushes anything. He said it's my life and all the choices are mine. If I can live like I am now it's up to me. He wants me to give it a lot of thought and see him again in January to decide what I'm going to do. He explained that the best time to do this surgery is when you have the least amount of stress to deal with (although my life is pretty stressful always). I thought after the holiday season would probably be the best. I'm continuing on my fiber diet and miralax and benefiber routine. I'm very sore today after the exam though. He said I had a tiny tear that bled a little and that's uncomfortable. Even though the LIS worked the narrowing caused by scar tissue is what is causing the minor tears from time to time. I'm so glad this group exists because there are times I get so depressed I need to talk to someone and everyone seems so caring. Thanks Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Sep 2009, 10:04

We'll always be around for you to talk to or just vent, Suzy!
I had my surgery between Christmas and New Years but still had to take time off work. Maybe between now an January you'll have a better gauge of how you're handling things and maybe even some healing will happen between then and now, it isn't impossible!
Deleted User 5