Has anyone ever gotten Botox WITHOUT sedation?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone ever gotten Botox WITHOUT sedation?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Oct 2009, 21:04

Hi all,
I just got two Botox injections today and my CRS did it without sedating me. All she did was put some topical analgesic around the area first. It wasn't done in an operating room, either, just in the doctor's office.
I did some reading through the archives and this seems atypical. It seems that most people were sedated for the procedure and had it done in the operating room.
Has anyone ever gotten Botox injections without being sedated first? I'm curious as to whether mine were done correctly. There was some pain during the procedure but it was tolerable, definitely not something I would need to be sedated for. The whole thing including preparation only took 5-10 minutes. And all I have now half a day later is minor soreness in the area, no other side effects (although I haven't had a bowel movement yet). Does this sound right to you all for Botox injections?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Has anyone ever gotten Botox WITHOUT sedation?

Postby juney » 14 Oct 2009, 09:37

yes i had botox injections on either side last thursday. no sedation. i walked in thinking i wouldn't even let him anuscope my a**. LOL!! i don't think they would ever sedate someone for botox. too risky for such a minor procedure.
i've had no side effects, no problems with BMs, and nothing other than my normal pains (albeit less intense) since, but i've heard soreness is normal. i'm feeling a minor pinch on the left side today. that side hurt sooo bad for like 5 seconds while he was shooting me. dr said it'd take 3-5 days to really kick in but my a** is so tight he didn't think i'd notice the botox.
good luck w/ botox and i hope you don't end up needing surgery(ies)!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Oct 2009, 09:59

Great, thanks Juney! I had it done on both sides as well, and also felt a sharp pain for a few seconds during each shot. Felt like getting a shot in the arm but significantly more intense. It sounds like you probably went through more pain, probably because your sphincter muscle is a little worse off than mine.
I was also told it would take a while to see anything from Botox, up to 7-14 days according to my doc. I had a BM this morning and still used nitro ointment, haven't noticed much difference so far.
Is this the first time you've tried Botox? Just curious. I know it took some folks several rounds to see any improvement.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 14 Oct 2009, 13:48

I have had 2 without sedation, and I think the pain was terrible. He used a lot og Botox, and gave me 3 - 4 shots each time. I wish I never had Botox.
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Oct 2009, 14:46

Hey Corsi, I'm sorry to hear that :( 3-4 shots each time doesn't sound fun at all. I think I had a relatively low dose of Botox and only 2 shots, hence why it was fairly tolerable. I haven't done seen it do too much yet, though, so the jury's still out as to whether it's effective at all. I'm not getting too hopeful personally, but I guess I've got nothing to lose at least.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby juney » 15 Oct 2009, 09:14

i only had 1cc of botox split between the 2 sides. i think that's a low dose. any consensus?
yes, this is the first time i've tried botox. but keep in mind that i've already had 2 LIS and a fissurectomy in the past 2 1/2 years. i've pretty much given up hope at this point so i'm not expecting anything from botox. it's more a "first line of treatment" for people who haven't tried surgery but have already tried the creams.
i know most people who have chronic fissures need several rounds of botox, and so many eventually go on to have surgery anyway. i believe patty was a botox success story on this board. if i remember right she had 3 or 4 rounds, but also kept a super strict diet.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 04 Nov 2009, 02:43

Hey juney,
Any improvement since your Botox shots? Just curious. I'd say mine is a bit of a mixed bag. Pain level during BMs has decreased some but there's definitely still some discomfort and some stuff going on down there...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Peachy724 » 04 Nov 2009, 15:16

i was put under general anesthetic for my botox both times and there was never any option for me but i did think he wanted a proper examination under anesthetic xxxxxxxxxxx
p.s juney, i thought LIS was fool proof :( xxx?
Peachy724
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2009, 05:07

I got a general anaesthetic each time. Its standard practice in my hospital as they do a full examination of the colon etc at the same time

Postby Rusty Bridges » 11 Dec 2009, 08:41

I just got 100 units of Botox on monday. No aneasthesia at all. It hurt, but it definitely wasn't as bad as I was expecting. With that said, I have been in a decent amount of pain since then, I don't know if it is bruising or something. Generally how long has it taken before you start to feel the affects (if any) from Botox? I really need some relief.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3