Botox with sedation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox with sedation

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Mar 2017, 19:56

I'm considering Botox as my next option and was wondering whether it's best done under sedation or just in the doctor's office. Are there higher success rates with sedation?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: Botox with sedation

Postby Kacenka » 13 Mar 2017, 20:33

I wouldn't think there would be a difference in effectiveness. I asked my doctor where he injected me and he said all over so they might do more injecting with sedation because they don't worry about the patient's comfort. Who knows. I had a fissurectomy each time as well so it wasn't an option but I don't think I would've been brave enough without it anyway.
Kacenka
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Mar 2017, 21:06

I don't think I would be brave enough either. But I would like to avoid having to go through the whole sedation process. It's a dilemma.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Kacenka » 13 Mar 2017, 21:24

For me the worst thing was the enema I had to do before the surgery and then the bill for outpatient surgery. Sedation doesn't effect me and I'm always quite happy and talkative when it's over. They must put something happy in the IV :o) The stress from having it done at the doctor's office would be far worse. Of course it also depends on how you handle sedation and if you're having anything else done. Before my 1st surgery my sphincter was in almost constant spasm so in office procedure would've been out of question. If you don't have this issue then it is something to consider. There are some posts from people who had it done so look at those.
Kacenka
Fibre Addict

Postby nnn1234567 » 14 Mar 2017, 06:09

I had Botox yesterday with sedation. I was SO scared but it was absolutely fine! Was sort of awake but sort of not if that makes sense. I remember going in and then him starting the injections but I was super chilled and he said 'very cooperative' so I think the sedation must really help as I think the injections are very painful.
What I wondered was...how long before the Botox 'kicks in' and relaxes the muscles. I feel exactly the same at the moment...!!!
Does anyone know?!
nnn1234567

Topics: 1

Postby Kacenka » 14 Mar 2017, 06:18

Some people feel relief in just a few days. I was told botox peaks at 2 weeks so I expected the same but it took several more weeks. The spasms were shorter immediately for me but the dull ache continued for about 6 weeks and then it stopped. My fissure didn't completely heal but the spasms didn't come back when botox wore off either. Everybody is different so don't compare yourself to others or you'll drive yourself crazy like I did. I think a lot depends on the severity and how long you've been dealing with it. And of course how your body heals and responds to treatment. Good luck!
Kacenka
Fibre Addict