Passing barium sulfate with an active anal fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Passing barium sulfate with an active anal fissure?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Nov 2009, 15:19

Hey all,
So I'm getting an abdominal and pelvic CT scan with contrast on Friday. The contrast material is a big bottle of barium sulfate. Does any have experience drinking (and more to the point, passing) barium sulfate while having an active fissure?
I drank barium sulfate for an upper GI test over ten years ago and remember pooping it out as hard chalky stuff, so I'm a little concerned. But my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details as I didn't have a fissure at that time.
I did notice that one of the side effects of barium sulfate is severe constipation, so I plan on drinking tons of water and Miralax afterward. Just curious if anyone else has experiences -- positive or negative -- to share on the matter of pooping barium sulfate :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Passing barium sulfate with an active anal fissure?

Postby cherylk » 18 Nov 2009, 19:18

NG,
I finally through my empty bottles of barium sulfate away, but I do think that is the substance I had to drink for my CT scan. As I recall, it did not cause me constipation like my previous "barium substances" did (upper GI 3xs and barium enema). I think I might have been on an anti-constipation med at the time, however. This was over 2 years ago.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Nov 2009, 19:28

Thanks Cheryl, I guess this will be my chance to see what happens when the immovable object (barium) meets the unstoppable force (Miralax). Here's hoping Miralax comes out the victor!
Do you recall if you had any IV contrast agent like iodine given during the scans? I'm getting iodine via IV and have been told that it will make me feel warm and flushed (like I just wet myself :)). That doesn't worry me too much, but does sound rather unusual.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby suzyljank » 18 Nov 2009, 21:09

I've had barium before and was always told to take mineral oil or milk of magnesia as soon as I got home. I starting going white stuff about and hour after taking the milk of magnesia. Once the white stuff is out of your system you should be fine.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Nov 2009, 21:20

Cool Suzy, sounds like no biggie then. After the whole colonoscopy thing I'm thinking this will be a walk in the park. I hope they find something (well something treatable or controllable anyway) from the scan because the symptoms are just driving me nuts now.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 00:23

I did have IV contrast, iodine, I think. Plus I was very nervous about the whole procedure, and worried needlessly about everything. I'll tell you why I was nervous after you are done with it! Just relax as your body goes in and out of the scanner. There is really nothing to worry about, and it is a good way to get a clear picture of the entire area. I think that is how my FIL's bile duct cancer was diagnosed. I am sure that you have nothing of that sort. We'll send you healing vibes and prayers on Friday. Maybe take a bit more Miralax that day as a precaution/proactive move!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Nov 2009, 01:09

Hey Cheryl, turns out I'm probably going to need to reschedule for next week. Apparently the results of my metabolic panel for kidney function (to make sure my body's able to clear the iodine) aren't back yet, and the doc doesn't want to proceed with the CT until he sees them.
But now you've got to spill the beans -- why were you nervous :) To be honest I'm not too worried about the procedure. I had a MRI (actually two) with contrast dye earlier this year and did an upper GI barium swallow years ago, plus I've had both a brain and sinus CT before. Just kind of worried about whether the barium will anger my fissure on its way out. The iodine sounds a bit funky but I'm sure it won't be a big deal. And of course the whole thing seems like a hassle, but I'll do anything at this point to get an answer. The nagging pain and not knowing what's causing it really bothering me.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 01:14

One of my former teachers died from the contrast dye (iodine) because she was allergic to it, so I had that on my mind b/4 going in for the procedure. I think they have better anecdotes now--that was 30 years ago!!
We're up late again! He's still got the cough, by the way, even though he is on an antibiotic. I sent you a PM. Thanks for yours!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Nov 2009, 01:33

Whoa ok I can understand your nervousness now. That would freak me out too. I don't think the place I'm getting it done at (it's just a small place) has any antidote/reversal agents on hand, so hopefully I don't have any kind of weird reaction to it. They did say that folks with seafood allergies are more likely to have problems with iodine, and I eat a ton of all kinds of seafood so I feel pretty confident I'll be fine. But that's terrible to hear about what happened with your teacher :(
Sorry to hear about the continued cough. Is it bacterial? Or just taking antibiotics as a precaution? I try to stay up late these days as it seems to help me sleep better. Once informercials start appearing it's time to hit the sack though :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 02:03

He has a weakness in his chest/bronchial area due to always having a dry cough as a SE from one of his meds. Plus he doesn't take care of himself properly or eat right. He just keeps going when he is sick (mowing lawns, sitting outside and getting cold at football games, going golfing when it's cold, etc, etc.) I think he has bronchitis. ISUAE
I've already been to sleep for awhile and now am wide awake! I have been going to a yoga/Tai Chi/pilates class @ 5:15, but pulled a couple of muscles in 2 different areas, so will probably pass on it tomorrow (today) morning! How are the babies doing?
cherylk
VIP