Newbie Looking for Help Please! ***Update***

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie Looking for Help Please! ***Update***

Postby RockBottom » 18 Nov 2009, 16:22

Hello All!
I can't say how happy I am to find this support board. I really am struggling with the pain of my AF but reading all of the great advice on here is really just, well, a huge relief! I'm generally very healthy, have a full life and enjoy doing lots of exercise. Just can't believe how struck down in pain I am though.
I've read some of the general information stickys but I have a few questions which I'd be hugely grateful if anyone could answer...
1. I was prescribed dilitiziam cream and have been using it for 16 days. In the last week (so from day 9 onwards) I was a 9 on the 1-10 pain scale for most of the day when I had been more like a 4 but only after bm before I started using it. GP has now prescribed Rectogesic and some cinchocaine suppositories. Does anyone have any experience of these products? Is it normal to feel so much worse when using Diltiziam? GP's told me to take course for 6 days and then if no improvement, she will refer to colorectal surgeon. She thinks he will refer me for surgery. Reading some of the other posts, is 6 days enough to use these medicines? She told me this is the normal course of treatment for AF with ointments.
2. How does your AF affect your ability to work and exercise? I have a stressful / full on job and I'm never off work sick. I had to come home from work early yesterday as I was in so much pain. In truth I should never have gone in to the office in the first place. I'm at home again today - I can barely stand up and sit down and can think of nothing other than the pain down there so it's pretty pointless me being in the office. Given I have been in tears after bm for last few days due to the severe pain, I cannot consider having bm in work toilets.
3. Can someone please recommend a stool softener / laxative which is effective? I'm based in London. Would like something which is effective but prefer one which is a natural as possible and non habit forming.
Phew - lots more questions but think I will stop there. I feel so rotten with this AF. I just got married 3 months ago, have been on a real high and we had wanted to start trying for a baby but that is now on hold until I get the AF under control.
Last edited by RockBottom on 04 Feb 2010, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To post an update
RockBottom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Newbie Looking for Help Please! ***Update***

Postby William » 18 Nov 2009, 18:40

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your AF.
RockBottom wrote:I was prescribed dilitiziam cream and have been using it for 16 days. In the last week (so from day 9 onwards) I was a 9 on the 1-10 pain scale for most of the day when I had been more like a 4 but only after bm before I started using it. ... Is it normal to feel so much worse when using Diltiziam?

It made my AF pain worse because it made my stools harder (besides the edginess and chest pain). Most people seem to be okay with it though.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Nov 2009, 21:36

Hey there RockBottom,
I can't speak regarding Diltiazem as I've never tried it myself. But Rectogesic contains nitroglycerin, right? If so I've tried that and it did help. I'm not sure you'd really need to use both Diltiazem plus Rectogesic, I'd think just Rectogesic is enough. I don't think it's necessarily normal to feel worse after using Diltiazem, but I don't think 6 days is enough to realize any real improvement either. Any of the ointments will probably take more than 6 days to do anything. I've used nitroglycerin and also nifedipine, and they did help (although they didn't fully cure the fissure), but they definitely took more than a week in my case.
As for impact on work and exercise, yes it definitely did that for me at one point. I work an office job so I didn't notice much impairment there, but it did prevent me from biking, snowboarding, etc. I still don't really exercise or lift heavy items because of it. Unfortunately I think such restrictions are common with fissure sufferers :(
Regarding a stool softener, I use Miralax (I think it's Movicol over in the UK) and it works a treat. The ingredient is polyethylene glycol. Lots of others here use it too. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try. It takes a day or two to take effect so don't give up if you don't see an improvement right away.
Oh yeah if you can try cutting out meats from your diet for a bit too. Red meat is THE WORST for my fissure. I can tolerate fish and chicken but red meat is a big no-no.
Is your fissure only painful during bowel movements or do you get the crazy throbbing spasm that lasts for hours and sometimes even the entire day?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 01:24

RB,
Try the Movicol (Miralax here) for a stool softener. This forum is a great place for to find support and to learn from others' experiences!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby derryboy » 19 Nov 2009, 08:01

Movicol over in the UK its called and Miralax over the pond in the usa.
it does take a day or 2 work i found, others say it works staight away,
but its all about find the right balance with it, to much and your running back and forward and your BM`S are like hot choc, lol, it took me around a week to find a right balance,
the right balance for me is a BM which comes out like toothpaste , not to hard not to soft,
but again the food you eat can effect this so yup i still have the odd day of hot choc bm`s lol, but hey, some soothing butt cream cools things down a little.
drink water plenty water, i drink up to 3.5L. Through out the day, and maybe more,, at times, but all that means is i pee alot lol, but it flushes the kidneys etc out so, all good
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby RockBottom » 20 Nov 2009, 06:23

Wow - thanks for the replies, guys! Loving this support board.
William - I hadn't actually realised that it was the diltiziam cream that was making me feel so nervy until I stopped using it. I just thought I was getting overly worried about the AF....
NeuropathicGuy - Yes the Rectogesic is nitroglycerin. I'm not using the diltiziam with it, just instead of but the GP gave me some suppositories to use with the Rectogesic. I had a look for the Movicol in my chemist yesterday but they didn't have any so bought some DulcoEase instead. I think this is similar / same? In terms of the AF pain, it hurts like hell for hours (sometimes all day) after bm.
Thanks for the tips on cutting out red meat. I was vegetarian for quite a long time when I was younger, I had an illness which led to me being unable to digest meat properly (long story) but this was more related to stomach I think than bowel. Anyway, I don't think it will be too big a deal for me to stop eating meat again. I absolutely love fish so am happy to hear you don't have too much trouble with fish. Luckily I love eating veggies, beans etc...not sure the husband is going to be too enthralled though!
CherylK - Thanks for the welcome!
DerryBoy - Thanks for the advice, diet seems key here and upping my water intake.
I'm still off work in pain and am spending quite a lot of time reading through the advice on this forum's diet board and thinking how I will alter my diet to manage this AF as best as I can. I also have a wheat / gluten intolerance so that's another added dimension to cope with.
Thanks again for the help and warm welcome.
RockBottom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby derryboy » 20 Nov 2009, 09:37

everyone finds something that works for them.
i also use valerian its the herbal form of valium.. it comes in tablet or powder form.
i find that helps at nights with the tight feelings,and it does make you sorta sleepish.
the powder form is more stronger. it knocked me out, but left me feeling sickly, hungover type thing in the morning after... so i dont do that now.
some guys on here do get prescribed valium to stop the spasm, which again i can say that does 100% help,
but as you no valium is habbit forming so no more than two weeks on them. so docs tell u to take 10 mgs aday, but some guys on have been up to 30mg aday,
but as like with all controlled tablets.. some docs dont give them out...
even my crs said no. but said yes to some other one,person,
migt be budget in te uk, or how bad and tight you are.
if your in lots of pain is worth asking, they can only say no.
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Nov 2009, 20:23

Indeed, Darren. While most analgesics seem to have NO effect on fissure pain, (and of course can clog you up and set up a retear) valium does seem to help, albeit mildly.
I think NG can speak strongly for that, if I recall correctly.
It *is*, like Derryboy suggests, a possible strategy to convince a CRS that Valium is worth at least trying, maybe with a very limited prescription to begin with?
Glad to hear the valerian works a tad for you Darren, and hope you are still on the road to recovery, and WELCOME Rockbottom, hope you find great advice and support here!
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Nov 2009, 21:26

Yep Valium definitely helped my fissure torment, not so much the pain during BMs but definitely the discomfort afterward. Unfortunately you do build a tolerance to it very quickly and it's indeed quite habit forming. But, even knowing what I know now, I'd take it again in a heartbeat. When my fissure pain was at its worst, the benefits greatly outweighed the downsides. If you do try Valium I'd suggest trying the lowest dose possible first (2 mg tablets are the smallest we get here in the States -- not sure about over the pond) and moving up from there only if you get no relief. The lower dose you start with, the lower the chance of addiction, and the slower you build a tolerance to it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sidra1968 » 21 Nov 2009, 16:27

Welcome to the board, there's great people here and this board has helped me immensely..No one else could understand what we deal with.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12