New to Forum Big Questions for you

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to Forum Big Questions for you

Postby bobo555 » 20 Feb 2010, 19:22

Hello.
I have been struggling with anal fissure(s) since having surgery on anal warts about 6 years ago.
My feeling is this: the scar tissue from the surgery left denuded skin that has no elasticity and it prone to rupture. My fear is every time the fissure forms, new scar tissue takes the fissure's place. This cycle has created a pile of scar tissue on my anus.
As far as doctors go, none have been too receptive to a fissure/sphincterotomy. One even commented that it would leave me incontinent (which I know only to be true for a small segment of outpatients).
My question is this: any good docs in the boston area to take this seriously? Also, will they remove the scar tissue and hemorrhoids as well as loosen the muscle during a procedure.
bobo555

Topics: 1

Re: New to Forum Big Questions for you

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Feb 2010, 14:26

Hey Bobo, I've never had LIS and am on the wrong coast to help you with your doc recommendation question, but are the doctors that are telling you LIS will leave you incontinent general docs or colorectcal surgeons? I've seen a number of docs for my fissure and it seems that general docs don't know much about fissures at all. Colorectal surgeons, and some gastroenterologists, are much more knowledgeable and I haven't seen one that's too aversive to LIS yet. I know this probably doesn't help much -- sorry -- but best of luck. Hopefully someone closer to your area will chime in with more.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: New to Forum Big Questions for you

Postby Michelle » 24 Feb 2010, 16:34

I don't live near Boston either so I can't help there. I would check with a new doctor. Incontinence after LIS is very rare (I've had two and don't even leak gas.) but I would definitely see a CRS for that. As far as the scar tissue and tightness goes, try looking into advancement flap surgery. I don't know a lot about it but they do use it for anal stenosis so maybe???
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3