What is feeling like 'Normal' again?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What is feeling like 'Normal' again?

Postby PainInTheAss » 11 Apr 2010, 03:12

Hi all
I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I'm scheduled to have LIS surgery in just over a week!
I have now been suffering with a fissure for way over a year now. After loads of creams, diet trial and errors and lots of persistent pain last December I had Botox and fissurerectomy surgery. After the 1st week of agonizing pain after the surgery things have gradually improved. However in February after my 2 month check up my CRS suggested LIS as he said I should be completely pain free. At the time had waves of pain and pain free days, nothing like before my surgery but I didn't feel 'normal'. Now currently I'm in two minds about going for the surgery as if my body can heal by itself I would rather that than another cut be put down there just to create blood flow with only 82% full recovery success rate. Currently when I have a BM it still feels slightly painful and after about 30mins a slight pain sets in for around 2 hours. But it’s not painful like it used to be to the extent I could hardly sit, it’s just a slight throbbing sensation which is livable but not 100% and not what I remember to be ‘normal’.
Is this what a feeling of 'normal' is or am I kidding myself and should go for the LIS surgery as that will completely heal me and I won't feel any signs of a fissure down there in months to come?
Another thing that is setting me back with regards to LIS is that currently I can finally work out and go jogging in the afternoons and not feel any pain (maybe a slight tingle now and then) whereas before this was hard going. Now I know surgery is going to set me back and make me motionless for at least a month, I would however sacrifice this if I knew that I could at least go bike riding after BM in the mornings like I used to as currently I won't risk it.
I just want to be bloody normal again and enjoy life like I used to, relax a little when I eat and drink. Does anyone think this is a reality or now I should just be prepared for this constant feeling of watching everything I eat and drink for the rest of my life? If that is the case even after LIS I may as well carry on as I am no?
All opinions welcomed please, it’s so good to know I'm not alone in all this.
PainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: What is feeling like 'Normal' again?

Postby cherylk » 11 Apr 2010, 06:55

Could you wait for awhile???????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby PainInTheAss » 11 Apr 2010, 13:11

Wait as in see how things pan out with time?
I suppose I could but I really want to be 100% either way and don't know if that is a possibility so don' know what route to go down :(
PainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Postby PainInTheAss » 11 Apr 2010, 13:48

Plus I'm tired of waiting, its been way over a year now (close to two I'd say) and its a constant battle.
What I want to know is has anyone got back to where they were before the fissure and now feel normal with or without surgery as it seems like people still have pain now and then which means in my case the surgery would be useless?
PainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 11 Apr 2010, 15:49

I think I am pretty much normal now with no pain.
cherylk
VIP

Postby PainInTheAss » 12 Apr 2010, 15:41

Pretty much or completely? Did you go through surgery or heal by yourself?
I just feel stuck. To do or not to do :(
Plus if I turn surgery down now it could be months before I get another chance. If I knew it could 99% get better with LIS within a few months and that my chances of healing without it are only 70% I would do it but everything is always so vague. I suppose its hard to get straight answers as everyone is different. Even the averages are vague.
PainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 12 Apr 2010, 16:20

I healed by using Diliatzem--no surgery. I basically never have pain even when I am constipated. :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Postby just_brit_yaaay » 12 Apr 2010, 22:37

Pain...I swear by the surgery...I was really nervous before I went in to get it done...and then BLAM...2 weeks later I feel awesome. From what I hear alot of others have had similar results....What the deciding factor for me was "Do I really want to keep dealing with this, with no end in sight?" *shrug* Its a quality of life issue I guess. But, I love my results and im only 2 weeks post op like I said.
just_brit_yaaay
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby PainInTheAss » 13 Apr 2010, 01:53

Glad to hear your both healed. Both via different methods which is good to see as there are options and lights at the end of both tunnels.
2 weeks post op and your fine sounds like a miracle. I keep thinking should I just go with it as with it as what have I got to loose. I just really don't want to get worse or take month to heal but to hear that someone has a better outlook on life just two weeks after the op has given me some optimisim. One week to go and I'm still so undecided. I'm going to try and get hold of the surgery today and see what my options are and if I could go in to speak to the surgeon before the op and still have the option to cancel.
Has anyone taken ages to heal or got worse after the surgery?
PainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Apr 2010, 17:31

Cheryl, out of curiosity how long did you have your fissure for before it healed? Did it ever re-tear at any point? You may have mentioned it in the past but I don't recall right now.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?