Open or closed LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Open or closed LIS?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Apr 2010, 15:31

Hey there experienced LIS'ers and soon-to-have-LIS'ers, do you all happen to know if you are getting (or had) open or closed LIS? Just curious. I'm scheduled for closed LIS myself and am wondering what the conventional/popular type usually is.
There's a brief explanation of both procedures in the "Surgical Technique" section of the Wikipedia entry on LIS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_internal_sphincterotomy
My understanding is that closed LIS is less invasive and has shorter recovery times but carries a greater risk of infection or fistula.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Open or closed LIS?

Postby just_brit_yaaay » 12 Apr 2010, 22:52

hmm...i have no idea what i had...
just_brit_yaaay
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby lars » 20 Apr 2010, 11:22

I had OPEN LIS. The cut is made inside the anus.
I wish I had CLOSED LIS since then the cut is made outside the anus and heal much faster.
lars
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Apr 2010, 21:03

I had it closed both times .
No stitches were put so that the wound can heal and drain and both times small cut healed and closed by itself in 3 days !!!
Best of luck NP : ))) !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Apr 2010, 22:01

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure which one is more popular these days. Sounds like both are still in use.
To be honest I'm still kind of freaked out about the whole thing and it's just 1.5 weeks away. Still debating whether I should back out or not Image I wish I could be brave like all of you folks who have gone through so much more!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Apr 2010, 01:52

Posterior sphincterotomy was then replaced by lateral internal sphincterotomy either performed using a closed technique or under direct vision, under local or general anaesthesia. Studies have shown the results of the open and closed techniques to be similar.

I think that cut is never made INSIDE of the anus - it would mean making a brand new deep fissure on the opposite side Image Image Image !!!!
What they mean by "OPEN" is that it is done in "open view" !!! Muscle is separated from the colon and pulled out and cut is than made.
"CLOSED" is done by pushing the scalpel inside the tiny hole of the skin, between sphincter and outside tissue (regular muscle) and than just turned "blindly" like a key to make a cut in the sphincter. Than scalpel is turned back in "neutral" and pulled out !!!!
"Open" thus needs bigger opening in the skin by the OUTSIDE of the anus and more tissue separation
and thus leaves person with more pain and little bit longer healing.
BOTH are equally successful in giving a sphincter some release. : )))
NP LOL - you are "impossible" Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby cherylk » 21 Apr 2010, 05:31

Fiss,
Glad you are back from your "leave!"
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Apr 2010, 11:57

Hey Fiss, I don't know if you follow football or not, but I like to think of myself as kind of like Brett Favre. No, not as in a future Hall Of Fame football player, but as in someone who has trouble making decisions :)
Despite all of the mostly positive feedback on LIS, I just can't push the thought out of my head that things might get worse afterward. Chalk it up to an overactive mind, I guess Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Apr 2010, 22:03

cherylk wrote:Fiss,
Glad you are back from your "leave!"

Oh dear Cheryl LOL - you are sooo sweet Image LOL - I am not "really" back LOL - I just get too attached to people here and than wonder how is everybody and than come to read and than it is OVER LMAO - I just have to post Image
NP - you will do just fine LOL - whatever you decide. If you can normally function with your fissure - than it is OK , really - you can take your sweet time : ))) !!!
I was too much in pain to tolerate it and could not even go out on some days - I really had to fix it !!!
AND- your chances of getting worse after the LIS are VERY so small - but you already know that : )))
So - relax and "go with a flaw" - if you decide to reschedule - it is perfectly OK !!!!!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Apr 2010, 04:33

Oh, Fissy, you have such a way with words!!! Image
Deleted User 5