Almost 6 months post LIS...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Almost 6 months post LIS...

Postby busymom » 16 Apr 2010, 13:25

...and everything is working great!
Just thought I would do a quick follow-up at my 5 1/2 month point. No pain, no bleeding, everything regular. It's amazing. I have to say that the one thing I have to be super careful about is really making sure that *hygiene* is perfect. I am training for a 10k right now and keeping everything *ahem* clean and dry is of utmost importance or I do get some minor discomfort. But that is it - nothing else even comes close to the amount of pain I was in and the amount of bleeding I was having before LIS. I can actually have a real life again!
Again, if you're on the fence about LIS, find a good CRS and get checked out. I was told by an earlier dr. that it wouldn't be good for me to do based on the problems I had post childbirth, but that was flat out untrue and I'm so glad that I didn't just believe him and NOT take care of it! I just wanted to add my voice to the group and possibly help another person make the big decision. I'm so glad that I had this group to help me make my decision ~ just paying it forward now!!! This is the best place to do it. LIS and AF doesn't come up at all in my PTA meetings or really, anywhere else for that matter! :)
Anna
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Almost 6 months post LIS...

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Apr 2010, 13:37

Thanks Anna! It's great to hear that things worked out so well for you Image
Do you still have to take stool softeners? Or were you able to drop those completely as well?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 16 Apr 2010, 14:10

Thanks for posting, Anna. So glad you are having a great outome from your surgery!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby busymom » 16 Apr 2010, 16:02

Hey NG & Cheryl! Good to hear from you!
I actually take (2) docusate sodium pills at night with a big glass of water about 3x a week, give or take a day here and there. I really try and make sure that the softness is there and frankly, it works great. I just have the generic ones from Costco. They've lasted forever.
NG - are you scheduled yet? What's going on with your situation? I would love to see you get it resolved asap.
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Apr 2010, 16:18

Hey Anna AKA BM Image
I'm currently scheduled for LIS on May 3rd. My fissure hasn't been *totally killing* me like it did back when it first started, though, so I keep wondering if I should even go through with LIS. There's definitely still some persistent mild-moderate discomfort, it's just not the insane, intense "passing shards of glass" pain like it was last year.
I'm trying to mentally force myself to go through with it. I guess I just worry that since the discomfort is only mild-moderate right now (a nuisance but livable), I'm scared of ending up with something worse like incontinence. I know the risk is low, but I'm a sissy and it's my first surgery, so the mind does tend to wander.
I keep seeing people post back with success stories, though, so I'd say I'm at least 90% committed at this point :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Apr 2010, 00:32

Thanks Anna for posting Image Image Image - it means so much to people who are struggling and are wondering if it is "worth" doing it !!! The pain becomes a part of life and being "normal" again seems impossible to many but the opposite is the truth. It is just that all who healed completely and fast never want to even remember it and do not come here any more - which is understandable !
So yes, thanks for stopping by to give hope to others and may you stay healed and happy forever Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?