How on earth can I get soft BMs!!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: How on earth can I get soft BMs!!

Postby cherylk » 22 May 2010, 05:03

Interesting article that covers lots of different aspects/treatment protocols for an AF!! I am wondering how a person is supposed to get 65 grams of olive oil into the rectum! Image My almost 85 year old mother has routinely used suppositories for that very purpose (when needed). I didn't see very much protein in that diet other than milk. Everyone with an AF should type that first sentence up and post it everywhere. I remember when I had hemmroids (prior to AF), my local GI doc's nurse told me, "Don't get constipated," during the time I was taking different meds for that condition. Yes, I was trying to not be constipated!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 09:42

Hey Cheryl :D !!!!
I think they meant to use some kind of syringe or enema-like bottle Image .I know that in all Mediterranean countries people self-treat hemmies with olive oil too !!!!
I was just thinking the other day about the fact that there are no "lubricating" suppositories on the market !!!!!! Image Isn't that strange ??? That they did not invent a suppository that does not cause BM, but is just pure lubricant ???? I would guess that Prep. H original formula that is just made of Cod oil might work as a good lubricant - but hey - so many people would benefit from something nice such as Olive oil or Coconut oil lube - why is it so difficult to make something of that kind ??? About 5 % of population is suffering from colorectal problems at any given time Image Oh well - maybe I should start manufacturing them LOL
BTW, Cheryl sweetness - what was the name of the training you had for your pelvic floor ??? I think I might benefit from it immensely since at this point I think that most of my problems are coming from holding a tension down there . The whole are is actually tight - I can even feel my tail-bone being pulled Image . I took a half of Valium last night and ALL symptoms just went away , including burning , so it seems that spasms might be there , although I do not feel them in the way I did before Image
There is no chance for me to go to Mayo , but if you can share the basic method - I would really appreciate it Image You can PM me of it is more convenient for you - thanks in advance Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 22 May 2010, 12:42

Fiss,
Pelvic Floor Retraining class with a nurse at Mayos using a sensor/biofeedback. I don't know where else it might be available other than Mayos and Loyola in Chicago. My pelvic floor dysfunction was diagnosed with the anal manometry test.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 16:44

Oh , thanks - I will than ask for a test !!!!!
Would you be so kind to send me a PM with the short description of the exercises you did Image ??? I know that I can not do it without sensors , but if there are some breathing exercises and visualization involved , I would like to try it anyway :roll: . What you did and how many times a days and for how long - if you remember, of course :roll: ?!
Thanks a lot in advance Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 22 May 2010, 18:19

I'll send you a PM with the details.
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 21:27

I've been following an anal fissure thread on another forum for a while and there's a guy there who swears by a regimen similar to the www.procto-med.com one too. His thing is to have nothing but apple juice for several days to clean himself out and then slowly add fruits back in. That seems crazy to me though. For me at least it would cause insane diarrhea Image Image Image
It's funny because in that same thread, there's another guy who had LIS, got unusually good results from it, and now tells everyone that it's perfectly normal to be back at work in 4 days (including the day off for the actual surgery) after LIS :roll:
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby fire-cracker » 22 May 2010, 21:37

I can not imagine with a fissure to purposely giving yourself major diarrhea.....ouch, ouch, ouch. Not only would my butt be burning and hurting my stomach would be seriously killing me.
I don't have any experience with LIS (thank goodness), but the at the CRS office one of the ladies said that the MD gives you 2 weeks off of work. Me personally...I don't think that is enough time. Do they realize how bad a fissure hurts??? I just can't imagine anything in that area healing so fast after surgery.
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 21:43

Here's the thread BTW. This page is the one where the dude says LIS recovery takes 4 days counting the surgery day :roll::
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=704601&page=11
I've read that entire thread and one thing that's comforting is that people there have had a very wide range of experiences with surgery. The 4 days guy was the best case, others have taken weeks, and some still have discomfort months later (ok this last one may not be so comforting).
I can't find the apple juice post in there right now, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly or it was deleted. It's crazy what kind of remedies show up when you google cures for anal fissures. It seems that people have tried just about everything imaginable.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 21:49

fire-cracker wrote:I can not imagine with a fissure to purposely giving yourself major diarrhea.....ouch, ouch, ouch. Not only would my butt be burning and hurting my stomach would be seriously killing me.
I don't have any experience with LIS (thank goodness), but the at the CRS office one of the ladies said that the MD gives you 2 weeks off of work. Me personally...I don't think that is enough time. Do they realize how bad a fissure hurts??? I just can't imagine anything in that area healing so fast after surgery.

I'm with you there :) In fact even with a fissure I still don't eat fruits very often because the acidic content has never agreed with my stomach. Veggies just make me a little gassy but fruits have pretty much always caused diarrhea for me.
Every CRS I've seen keeps quoting 1 week as the recovery time which is just baffling to me. I was stupid and believed it so I told work I'd only be out a week, which ended up being unrealistic IMO even if I hadn't gotten the abscess complication. 2 weeks I can almost believe as far as being able to go back to work, albeit I doubt anyone would be in tip-top shape at that point. Personally, if my LIS and abscess surgeries leave me unable to return to the office after one more week, I'm going to ask about getting a medical note so I can file for temporary unemployment as opposed to continuing to work from home or burn vacation time.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure