How on earth can I get soft BMs!!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

How on earth can I get soft BMs!!

Postby stuckOnHold » 18 May 2010, 01:17

First of all hi. I'm going to post in the introduction section soon, but first here's my problem:
No matter what I eat, I can't seem to get my stools soft enough. So far my fissure's so sensitive to the slightest stimulation that I really can't afford to make it worse!
However, at the moment I'm eating: Hi-fibre bran every morning, Loads of veg, Pulses (lentils, chickpeas etc), fruits, dried fruits and lots of water. That's pretty much it!!! Also taking 2xMovicol (miralax) and 2xLactulose doses each day.
I've been suffering from this fissure for 5 months now.
I thought that by sacrificing fatty foods, meat dairy etc I could get soft enough stools.
By all accounts the stools are soft, but not soft enough! I keep having re-tears and it's wearing me down emotionally now.
I want to get it like 'toothpaste' or 'soft peanut butter' if I'm to beat this thing. I've had it like this a few times but even repeating the meals I had those days it doesn't give me predictable results.
Any advice? Going nuts.
Last edited by stuckOnHold on 18 May 2010, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: How on earth can I get soft BMs!!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 May 2010, 01:27

Wow do you mean that you have 2x the daily dosage of Miralax every day or just that you take Miralax 2x a day? If you're having 2x the daily dosage of Miralax everyday that's quite a bit. Most of us get good results by eating boiled veggies, Miralax, and lots of water. If that's not enough I don't know what would be...
How are your stools now? Are they rock hard or soft but still hurt the fissure?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby stuckOnHold » 18 May 2010, 01:39

Sorry i meant 2 sachets, I think it's the normal dose for long term. Bit scared to take more laxatives cos I'm already taking lactulose too...
My stools are soft, never hard, but yeah I still get a sharp prickly feeling during BMs when they're *just a little* too hard. Last week I'm pretty sure i had a re-tear as now I get the sharp feeling every time :(.
Any I need to sort it out! I forgot to mention that this has been going on 5 months now, pretty much the same diet. Got to find a way of keeping them soft. I'm considering upping the veg intake, but not sure. I'm already have very little energy in the day now cos I hardly eat much in the way of 'real food' heh. Get sleepy around 9pm.
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 May 2010, 01:46

Do you use anything else in the way of treatment aside from diet and laxatives? Like the good ol' topical ointments of nitroglycerin, nifedipine, or diltiazem? They may be marketed under different names depending on where you're from, i.e., Rectogesic, Anoheal, etc.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby fire-cracker » 18 May 2010, 04:36

Hi stuckOnHold, I am new to this also and have been doing alot of reading here on the MB. I was actually a lurker for about 2 weeks before I decided to join. It's so nice to talk to people who understand what you're going through.
But recently, to get my stool super soft, but not to the point of diarrhea, I have been eating yougart and applesauce along with my daily soup and chicken. I also take 3 Phillips Stool Softeners a day. I don't know if the combo of these things are what is making my BM's bearable and not too much pain at all except for a little discomfort and some pinching, but this is what is working for me at the moment (knocking on wood so that it continues).
Make sure to search around here on the MB...a ton of good info. I think that I have read every post.
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby stuckOnHold » 18 May 2010, 05:20

Hi
I'm on my 5th week of GTN (nitro).. I noticed a slight improvement up until my re-tear last week :(
fire-cracker: Yoghurt eh? I've been steering clear of anything dairy for fear that it will constipate me. I have Yakult occasionally but notice no real change. I think i might be too scared to try yoghurt!
I also avoid chicken or any meat. I have fish very occasionally. Tofu also for protein. This diet sucks though! I miss curry! and chili con carne! and spag-bol!
I think I am just very susceptible to hard stools. It's always been the way. Hope your period of bearability continues...
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Postby mmb0423 » 18 May 2010, 13:10

I was also having trouble getting my stool soft and consistent during my fissure battle and one thing that I believe has really helped me is taking a magnesium supplement. I was referred to the magnesium by a homeopathic doctor. I take it every night with my stool softeners and it seems to help.
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2010, 13:47

I want to second everything suggested. Do not be afraid of softeners since couple of months definitely should not effect you in any way and actually many people are on them for life without much problems. "New age" softeners as Miralax and Lactulose work differently than old-fashioned ones that were actually laxatives and irritated guts to "move" and that caused problems. Using Miralax for longer period is OK especially if it helps. For me it was too strong Image - so I used Milk of Magnesia (same as taking Mg pills). It is definitely safe since it is just Mg mineral that causes water retention in the guts and makes poop softer. So, maybe you can add Mg supplement !!!!
Also - yogurt in theory should not be constipating but everybody is different. You might try it with mixing in fresh fruit - oh boy - that definitely can not constipate you !!!!But I agree with your diet completely - stay away from pastas, breads, meet etc - you are right on spot !!!!!
Try to add some pineapple and oranges or tangerines every day and see if that helps !!! Those fruits have a lot of soluble fiber and should add extra water : ))) !!!!
Let us know how it goes !!!
So- to summarize - try adding Mg and more fresh fruit such as pineapple, oranges, ripe mango etc.
Best of luck with healing Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 19 May 2010, 17:03

I used to put my evening Miralax dose in grape juice which helps constipation also. Orange juice is good to drink and apple juice. Even V-8 has some fiber in it.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 01:03

Found interested article on
this site : www.procto-med.com
Nature Cure for Anal fissures
The treatment of anal fissures should first commence by taking all the necessary steps to avoid constipation and soften the stools and keep them regular. The patient should be made to fast on raw juices for about five days. Juices of fruits such as carrot, orange and pineapple may be taken during this period. The patient should drink a glass of juice every two hours throughout the day mixed with water in equal proportions. Warm water enema should be administered daily during this period to cleanse the bowels.
The patient may thereafter switch to an exclusive diet of fresh fruits for the first five days. He should take fresh juicy fruits such as apple, pineapple, orange, peach, pears, grapes and papaya at an interval of five hours during this period. After this the patient can gradually embark to a well balanced diet.
The patient should strictly adhere to diet restrictions in curing anal fissure. This should consist of unrefined foods such as molasses, lentils, whole grain cereals, honey, green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, French beans, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, carrot, pumpkins and beet; fresh fruits especially mangoes, pears, figs, grapes, papaya, oranges, guavas and gooseberries; dry fruits such as apricots, figs, raisins and dates and milk products in the form of milk, butter and ghee.
One of the most effective remedy in the treatment of anal fissure is a gentle instillation of about 65 grams of olive oil into the rectum. This should be repeated daily as needed as it helps in softening the hardened stool.
Foods such as biscuits, cakes, pastries, fleshy foods, cheese, preservatives, products made of white flour, rice and white sugar should be avoided as they result into constipation. It is necessary to strictly avoid sugary foods as sugar steals away the B vitamins from the body without which the intestines cannot function properly.
Drinking sufficient quantity of water is beneficial not only for cleansing the system but also for removing constipation, washing out poisons and diluting the blood. However proper care should be taken not to drink water along with meals as it dissolves the gastric juices necessary for proper digestion. It should be taken one hour before or one hour after meals.
Daily dry friction should form a basic part of the treatment for anal fissure. The affected part should be bathed several times daily with hot and cold fomentations. A piece of linen material should be applied for three to four minutes after being wrung in hot water This hot application should be repeated three times for the same length of time. This should be followed by cold application. This order should always be adopted namely three hot applications followed by one cold application.
Regular physical exercises and fresh air should form an important part of daily health regimen. Yogic asanas such as pavanmuktasana, yogamudra, uttanpadasana, vajrasana, shalabhasana and shavasana are also very beneficial in the treatment of this disease.
Thus it can be concluded that the application of various natural remedies have been found to be very beneficial and effective in the treatment of constipation and the resultant anal fissures.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61