Realistically how long should LIS pain last?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Realistically how long should LIS pain last?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Jun 2010, 18:50

Hi guys, sorry I've been AWOL for a while, lots of weird stuff going on in my personal life lately. But just wanted to drop in and say hi, and say that BIG TIME KNOCK ON WOOD :luckyeyes: :luckyeyes: :luckyeyes: :luckyeyes: :luckyeyes: but I finally feel like I'm slowly making forward progress with LIS healing. It's still going much slower than I'd like, but things are feeling noticeably better and the CRS says that there's only just a very tiny part of the incision that's still open. I'm not quite ready to deem it a raging success yet, but I'm marginally more optimistic (more like slightly less pessimistic to be honest) than I was about it before.
Still wrestling with the confounded penile problem (that one's driving me more mad than the butt problem at this point), and my son is scheduled for G-tube surgery this coming Tuesday July 6th. So it's possible that other things on my mind are just distracting me from feeling the pain in the butt, but for what it's worth, although it's about a full two months after surgery now, I'm finally seeing a small ray of hope shining through. So those of you who might have been freaked out by my LIS whining before, stay tuned, the story may not quite be over just yet.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Jun 2010, 18:54

Alright someone's gonna have to help me out with that anti-jinxing "lucky eyes" emoticon. I thought I had the tag right but apparently have forgotten exactly what it is Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 30 Jun 2010, 20:37

NG,
Glad that you are seeing some improvement in your butt situation. I hope that Jayden's G-tube surgery is successful and uneventful.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 01 Jul 2010, 06:13

Hey NG,
Happy healing buddy!! I'm glad things are looking up for you at long last :D
Hoping that everything runs smoothly and efficiently during Jayden's surgery, sending healing thoughts..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Jul 2010, 23:59

Heh, LOL, can not wait for a day to say "I told you so " Image Image Image * HUGS
I will be keeping your baby in my thoughts and prayers NG !!! Image
Last edited by Fissulyna on 03 Jul 2010, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Jul 2010, 06:19

Nothing like a little optimism, eh NG? That thing is just taking it's time, geeze!
Here's hoping everything with Jayden turns out a-OK! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Jul 2010, 12:07

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I try not to get too drunk on optimism, but yeah, a little bit isn't bad once in a while :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Jul 2010, 12:24

Well thank you will not do for me ; ))) !!!!
I want one "car speeding" ride or at least one ride at the motorcycle down the Santana Row LMAO Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby crimeofpassion » 16 Jul 2010, 12:50

Hey, just jumping in to mention its been a year and two months since my LIS surgery, and I still have pain from the fissure (that my CRS says is healed) and the incision site on a daily basis. Hope the same doesn't happen to you.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Jul 2010, 16:44

Hey there, thanks -- I'm nearly three months out, and the discomfort is better and very infrequent now, but I still sometimes get aches and pains down there. Mostly from the fissure area but once in a while from the LIS and abscess drainage site.
Personally I think some of the lasting pain can be considered post operative neuralgia, basically poorly understood nerve pain following surgery. There's a lot of info out there, but this page is a brief high level summary:
http://pain.about.com/od/typesofchronicpain/a/post_op_pain.htm
I've got some other neurological issues resurfacing lately (neck pain and headaches) and am going to try some drugs for neuropathic pain such as Neurontin (gabapentin) for them. I'm half thinking it might help with some of the residual pain I'm feeling from the anal area. I'll post back if it helps at all.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure