Dealing with the frustration...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Dealing with the frustration...

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 03 Jun 2010, 07:20

How does everybody deal with the frustration when you're trying to heal a fissure and it just doesn't seem to be happening?
Monday was a good day, one BM with very little blood and little itching.
Tuesday started off okay, one morning BM with very little blood and then the itching killed me late afternoon forcing me to scratch and draw blood.
Wednesday was a good day, one BM in the morning not bad on the blood factor at all but then I had to take a BM at night (a rarity) and did so and blood all over the tissue and bowl. Now this morning (Thursday), first BM of the morning and blood in bowl and on tissue again and this was probably the hardest BM I had taken in a week.
Every time I see blood on the tissue (wet wipes of course) or in the bowl I feel defeated, hopeless and like this will never heal. I've had fissures before but I guess they must have been smaller ones because they healed in a couple weeks. This one just won't seem to go away.
How long can it take for a fissure to go away? Am I just being impatient since it has improved slightly from last week to this week? I just don't see how it's going to heal however when I re-tear it practically every time I take a BM (or every other one) but yet I'm supposed to continue to take BMs regularly. Depression is setting in.
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Dealing with the frustration...

Postby cherylk » 03 Jun 2010, 07:23

Getting on A/D's helped me a lot.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 03 Jun 2010, 07:33

Have been on them on and off for the last 10 years for other reasons and none of them seemed to work.
I guess my question is, is what I'm experiencing common with constant blood on tissue and in bowl when trying to heal this thing? I feel like a bit of a freak because this just won't go away no matter how hard I try to change my diet, take stool softeners, take baths, etc.
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 03 Jun 2010, 07:43

I took the A/D Lexapro and starting seeing a psychiatrist as thinking about my AF had totally paralyzed me.
cherylk
VIP

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 03 Jun 2010, 07:54

Yeah, it seems the more I think about it the more I become obsessed with it and it is probably more healthy to just focus on other things, continue my regimen of treatment and hope for the best.
Quick question if you know, what do the ointments everyone talks about like nitroglycerin and the others actually do to heal a fissure and how often do you put it on the area each day? I don't have it yet but am toying with the idea of calling my CRS and asking for it because right now all I have are hydro cortisone suppositories and those aren't getting the job done it seems.
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 03 Jun 2010, 08:03

I used the Diliatzem to help heal my fissure; I believe it helps increase the amount of blood flow to the area. I used to use it 2-3 times daily. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 03 Jun 2010, 08:12

I just ordered some Diltiazem 2% gel through the mail (gotta love the internet) but I suppose I should call my CRS before I start using this right?
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 03 Jun 2010, 08:23

Do you live in the US? I could only get Diltiazem throught my doctor with a prescription. Image
cherylk
VIP

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 03 Jun 2010, 08:26

I do, but I ordered it online through an overseas company. You can get almost everything online these days.
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 03 Jun 2010, 09:21

I won't preach about how it's a no-no to order and use drugs without going through your doctor, since where I'm from in Asia people can basically buy anything over the counter to treat themselves Image But one thing to be sure of is that the ointment you ordered is in a base that's designed for rectal use. Compound drugs can come in different bases and you want one that won't irritate the anus. A common one is aloe vera but there are others. If you're not sure, nitroglycerin for anal use is pre-made as Rectogesic in some other countries, and diltiazem for anal use is pre-made as Anoheal elsewhere too.
Personally I would just request the right ointments through your CRS though. If for nothing else, because it's probably cheaper and easier to get refills when needed. Also, different people get different results -- some like diltiazem the best, others like nitroglycerin better, etc. If your CRS is only giving you hydrocortisone then they're delaying your shot at non-surgical recovery.
The mode of action for the ointments is that they expand the blood vessels, thus allowing more blood flow to the affected area, thereby reducing the spasm and promoting healing.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45