Just wanted to say Hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Just wanted to say Hello

Postby So sick of this » 17 Jul 2010, 11:18

I've had a AF for what seems like a long time now - probably 16 years - on and off - this past February I was in a hurry in public restroom and did some more damage and every since then I have been in daily pain. I've really enjoyed reading your comments. They have really helped me feel better about my situation - you know - misery loves company!!
I've seen my CRS since April and have been on nitro since then and have been taking Mirolax every night for years . Contemplating surgery soon, but for some reason my CRS is hesitate, he said something about that if I were a man he would do the surgery right away, but since I've had 2 children, he's putting off LIS. Have anyone of heard of this being a reason to delay, or possibly not doing the LIS?
The nitro seems to have helped in the beginning, but now maybe not so much any more - does this seem
like a short time to stop being effective?
Well anyway I just wanted to say "Hello" and thank you for such good advice. I'm sure that I will back with more questions.
So sick of this

Topics: 1

Re: Just wanted to say Hello

Postby cherylk » 17 Jul 2010, 17:11

Wow, 16 years is a very long time. Could you try diltiazem? That is what I used for my AF. I wanted to say welcome from another Midwesterner!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sidra1968 » 18 Jul 2010, 18:41

Welcome! This place is a godsend..
To answer your question - no, I've never heard as being female as a reason not to have LIS (or having had kids)..maybe someone else can chime in. It gave me my life back, so for me, it is something I am so glad I did.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby mmb0423 » 18 Jul 2010, 22:31

My doctor was also hesitant about LIS for me. He said that since I'm only 26 and still plan on having more children that a LIS would increase my chance of incontinence later in life. I don't know how true that is, but I know that my doctor really wanted to try more conservative treatments first. I used the diltazem for about 1.5 months, and was almost healed. Then, I had a re-tear and we decided to try botox. I have been healed for almost 4 months now. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about botox, or have him explain his reasons for being hesitant about LIS for you.
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Jul 2010, 01:00

Mechelle, it's great to hear that Botox is still doing the trick for you. I was kind of wondering how you were doing :)
So Sick Of This, women generally have shorter sphincter muscles than men, and that area of the body is also under more stress due to childbirth, so women are indeed at higher risk of incontinence following LIS. But I wouldn't think that's a reason to say no to LIS full stop, maybe just to be a bit more careful and conservative when cutting. I think I would seek second and third opinion if needed, in fact seek as many opinions as you need until you're comfortable. A lot of us here have seen many, many doctors before settling on one. But definitely let us know what treatments you've tried already. If it's just nitroglycerin and Miralax so far, then it may not be a bad idea to give one of the other ointments a quick go or also consider Botox. Many of us have gotten at least temporary relief from Botox, and some have healed completely, so you don't have too much to lose by giving it a go. You can always opt for surgery if it doesn't work.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby So sick of this » 21 Jul 2010, 15:14

Thanks for the responses everyone!!
I still have a few questions. What is the difference between the nitro and diltiazem?
Of course I'll say my surgeon, but do you think that both my children were delivered by C-Section, it that would make a difference?
I'm currently using Miralax every night and I'm applying the Nitro 2x a day.
I've been having a problem on having a BM twice a day - of course would to have only one in the morning - it's like playing Russian Roulette - all of my stools are soft - really never had a problem with that - just the size of the stool - it can't be bigger the size of pencil.
Well have to go - going to the Detroit Tiger game - hope they win!!
So sick of this

Topics: 1

Postby StevePain » 22 Jul 2010, 13:47

Nitro is only 0.2%, Diltiazem is 2%, both ointments are aimed at relaxing the sphincter, Nitro also causes headaches (in the beginning) but Diltiazem has severe itching as a side effect, despite this, Diltiazem is the better of the two IMHO.
As for your stools being pencil like in shape (is that what you mean?), it may well indicate narrowing of the anal canal (stenosis) as a precaution I would get that checked out.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45