Ladies - please read this

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ladies - please read this

Postby whyme » 18 Aug 2010, 19:20

Hi,
I have learned what caused my initial AF in the early 90's and a second one in 2009. I have been diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis. This is a rare auto immune disease of the skin, it mainly is around the anus, perineum and the vulva, causes the skin to thin and tear easily then when the disease becomes severe the skin begins itch severely.
In retrospect, I had this disease around my anus causing my skin to tear easily, even when I wiped too hard. I never had hemorrhoids. The itching sensation felt like things crawling inside my skin. These items easily look like common anal problems.
Since I am now post menopausal this disease has spread to my vulva. Seems rapid change in hormones or over active immune system will cause this disease to present itself. I had no idea this was happening, my skin became dry and wrinkly, the skin turned a whitish color, I would tear easily. But thought that was happening because the skin was dry. Then the intense itching of the vulva started, it would come on suddenly last for a very short time, minutes then stop and not be itchy again for days or weeks. After several months of this happening I finally did a search on the internet and found Lichen Sclerosis. Bingo, I was correct.
I went to the gyn yesterday and she took one look and said "Yeap" you are correct. They took a skin biopsy, this is the most common way to diagnose the disease. Several characteristics are constipation, tearing of the anus and perineum, intense itching when the case has become severe. Low thyroid is also pretty common too according to results.
I know that this might not the case in all, but after learning about this disease, it is misdiagnosed A LOT. If you have repeated tearing of the anal tissue, please talk to your doctor about Lichen Sclerosis, it is worth doing the test to determine if that is the case. This disease is treated with high doses of steroids to clear it up, there is no cure. It is chronic. Once the skin is thinned it is hard to get the elasticity back.
Best of luck, don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. I am more than happy to help.
Deenise
whyme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Ladies - please read this

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Aug 2010, 21:00

Hey hey hey for the record lichen sclerosus affects men too Image When it affects men, it also commonly affects the genitalia and is also known as balanitis xerotica obliterans. I unfortunately have a possible case right now :(
I took prednisone 40 mg daily for a couple days but it didn't seem to do much. Is that what you're taking and do you mind if I ask how long it was before you saw results?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby whyme » 19 Aug 2010, 08:04

I started using Clobetasol cream, 2x daily for a month. This will not cure the issue, only help heal the skin. This is a corticosteroid cream. Doc said it will take a few days to start seeing results. I am on day 3 of this cream, I apply to the entire vulva area, perineum and anus too since I feel this is originally where it all started. I think my menopause and hormonal changes brought this into the other area. :(
And yes, I understand men get this also. It is more common in women and definitely hormone related.
There is a support group on Yahoo for this, a section for men too. Over 4600 members and a ton of information.
They mention Emu Oil, Neem Oil and some other natural moisturizers for this condition.
whyme
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Aug 2010, 08:12

Hey there, nice, thanks I'll have to check out the Yahoo group. I gave clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream a try for a few weeks (after less potent corticosteroids like mometasone and desoximethasone failed) but in my case it just ended up thinning the skin around my penis more, which made it easier to tear... I'm now trying to see what other options there are :( Anyhow good looking out, thanks again!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby whyme » 19 Aug 2010, 15:50

I guess my previous post didn't go through, so I will type this again.
Check out http://www.perrinsproducts.com/Soothing_Salve.html
They have lots of testimonial from other LS people. I am looking into some organic and natural creams to make from raw honey. I was also referred to KarenHurd.com, she is a nutritionist who has helped one lady on the yahoo group with some diet changes that helped her a lot. I am visiting my herbal lady next week for some muscle testing for different herbs and vitamins, I know that Red Clover is excellent for skin issues.
If you wish to communicate in email, [email protected] is my email, I can't keep up will all these forums and will stick with the yahoo group.
Best of luck! BTW I can't begin to imagine having LS on the penis, OUCH!
whyme
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Aug 2010, 16:45

Haha yeah definitely "ouch." I saw an urologist this morning and got yet another steroid to try, betamethasone dipropionate this time around. Seeing a dermatologist this coming Monday for any other ideas, I'm just desperately trying to get rid of this stupid thing.
Thanks for the tips and contact info, I may give you a buzz sometime to see how things are going with the organic treatments you're looking into. I'm definitely tired of slathering steroid after steroid down there. I don't know anyone in person who has this condition so it's nice to know that there are (unfortunately) others out there.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure