Diet question?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Diet question?

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2010, 10:02

I have bought some vegetable soups and they all seem to have a tomato base in them. Has anyone had any problems with acid from tomato's?
I also have been eating some peanut butter and haven't had any problems.
Is this a safe fissure food for everyone else? I know not to eat crunchy NOW,
but I have found this awesome new pb that has Omega 3 in it and I'm trying to get all the nutrition I can out of the foods I'm eating. I can't take vitamins unless there children's without iron because it has always constipated me. Thanks:)
Last edited by Guest on 21 Aug 2010, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Diet question?

Postby PaulsPain » 21 Aug 2010, 14:56

I do ok with a tomatoes based soups. I have a homemade bean/ham soup I make that is tomatoes based. Raw tomatoes, from the garden, is where I have run into problems with acidity. I love fresh mozzarella, onion, basil, and tomatoe salad with a good olive oil. I gave up eating this once I started battling fissures. Image
I think nuts or nut butters are one of the best items for nutrition and fiber. The problem is finding out if you can eat them or not with a fissure. I eat creamy peanut butter all the time without issues. Almond butter is also awesome. I also eat whole pecans and almonds daily. I know most people say whole nuts area no no not to be eaten with fissures. They don’t cause me any issues plus they provide lots of nutrition and fiber. I have found walnuts and whole peanuts don’t digest as well for me so I avoid those. I have also found that I can't eat chocolate/hazelnut bar - my all time favorite combo.
I think everybody is different in terms of what they can and cannot eat with a fissure. When you suffer with a fissure for a long time you get plenty of opportunity to tinker with the diet. If I am unsure about a particular food I will try a very small portion first to see if I can tell how it will go through my system.
Are you able to eat Avocado’s? They are packed with nutrients. We go through a lot of a them in our house.
Good luck with your continued healing.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 21 Aug 2010, 15:37

You should be fine with tomato soup, I eat it regularly along with veg soup, pea soup and broccoli and cauliflower soup, I was eating these well before my chronic fissure phase and continued right up to surgery and even now, the main thing I do avoid is peanuts since they don't digest all that well and tend to catch on the way out, so does raw vegetables/salads, another no-no for me is seeded bread as these pose a problem on the way out too, basically anything sharp should be avoided
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 21 Aug 2010, 15:37

Like paul says, you can always tinker with your diet to see what best suits you..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 21 Aug 2010, 19:43

I used to eat tomato soup regularly (with chunks of tomato in it) and had no problems.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2010, 20:09

I think I will give it a try...Thank you all and Paul I love fresh tomato's but I think I'll stay away from them too.
I think the soup should be ok too... And I am scared to death to try chocolate but I sure miss it! I took a chance on the yogurt parfait at McDonalds and everything seems to be ok. So I'm on cloud 9 right now!!! I just got my husband to go w/me to get one( yummy). I was such a junk food eater before this and I miss Big Macs,and so many other things but not enough to deal with the pain...I just want to heal! :)

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Aug 2010, 02:15

I had no problem with tomato in any shape or form :) !!! Or any other veggie for that matter :roll: - cooked or raw : ))) !
Just stay away from "scratchy" food like popcorn, nachos, chips , seeds, nuts etc. :roll: , and of course stay away from anything that constipates you personally . Also, cheese, pasta, white rice, white bread and similar can make poop REALLY compact Image - I did not eat any of that during healing time and even today I stay away from most of that , just in case ; ))), but it was not my staple diet to begin with, so it is easy for me to avoid it Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 27 Aug 2010, 06:21

Also, cheese, pasta, white rice, white bread and similar can make poop REALLY compact
Agree, especially pasta!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 10:44

Thank you all :D ! I learned the hard way about all the sharp foods and pasta...
And Paul, I love advacado! Especially being so limited on foods!!

Postby StevePain » 27 Aug 2010, 15:02

I only eat wholemeal pasta, definitely stay away from nuts and seeds, I learnt the hard way by eating a full bag of dry roasted peanuts and going to the toilet the next day Image
I had pretty much the same experience with seeds too, excluding these things from your diet will help immensely, as will laying off cheese and white bread.
StevePain
King Fissure