Diet Question regarding cereals

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Diet Question regarding cereals

Postby Kulisu » 05 Jan 2017, 16:56

Hello all. This is my first post here but I have been lurking for the past few months. This place has been a literal life saver. If nothing else, the amount of info on here is a great distraction from the bad days. I plan on sharing my story at some point in the near future(especially as I've made the decision to get LIS soon), but for now I'm still trying to focus on improving.

I'd just like a little advice on some foods to be eating. Before my fissure I had plenty of dairy. Cheeses, milks, yogurts, you name it and I don't believe it harmed me, but I have read enough stories that I cut it all out anyway. My question is that I still see many people recommending cereals as a good food to be eating. I understand they are great for fiber, and I used to have them once, even twice a day. I'm curious though how people are going about still enjoying cereals if they are also cutting out dairy. Are people just using milk substitutes, aka almond milk and what not? Or are you guys just eating it dry? I'm not a huge fan of the milk alternatives, but at this state I am not in any real position to be picky.

I'm a terrible cook, and will obviously be trying to learn how to feed myself better. If there are any other easy to make items out there that would be good for keeping my stools formed but soft, soft being the imperative part here, I am all ears. Lately I have been just sticking with basic salads, eggs, whole grain toast with jelly or pb&j, occasional chicken, crackers, and some fruits like apples/peaches.
Kulisu

Topics: 2

Re: Diet Question regarding cereals

Postby Canadabum » 06 Jan 2017, 10:40

Great question...welcome to the forum!

Personally I would use almond or coconut milk. Also - I moved to hot cereals that are made with water and you can add honey, maple syrup and fresh fruit as garnish. I would stay away from very processed sugary cereals.

You may want to consider adding smoothies - fruit/veg to your breakfast repertoire.

Any big changes in food should be done slowly...so as not to shock your system.

All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19