So I just came back from the doctor.....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

So I just came back from the doctor.....

Postby afugh!! » 24 Aug 2010, 13:22

Good news is that he told me that the slight re-tear of my fissure is healing again and it has improved from a couple of weeks ago. I asked him if botox would be necessary but he told me if the fissure wasn't re-healing he would opt for it but since it is healing he finds it unecessary and it's fine with me since the fissure never really bothered me.Bad news is he told me I have a fistula located at 8 o'clock of my rectum and he told me I'm going to need surgery to remove it.For a while I thought it was just a zit since it acted like one and since it has shrunk down a lot since I've been using acne medication on it.He says he is going to slice it open to drain it and depending on how deep the fistula runs down my rectum he may tie a string so he can pull on it to drain it on an appt. basis.He says the string maybe necessary because he doesn't want to cut too deep down of the rectum and slice off more of the muscle or I may become incontinent.I'm scheduling the surgery around the beginning of October so that I won't be dealing with the post-op pain during the summer heat and the doc says it will take 8 weeks for it to heal which is similar to a fissure heal I suppose.Has anyone ever had surgery to remove a fistula and how is it post-op?Painful,a lot of bleeding?Will I need to take time off work?
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Re: So I just came back from the doctor.....

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2010, 13:42

Oof sorry to hear this dude! I know some members in the past have had fistula surgery, hopefully they will chime in.
Personally I had a very minor fistulotomy when I had my abscess drained, but it wasn't a real "full fledged" fistulotomy, more just opening and scraping out the area where the abscess was to disrupt any fistulous tract that was forming.
As I understand it, for fistulas like yours, they use a string to hold the incision open so that it can heal from the inside out (as opposed to outside in which would just trap more "gunk" and cause another abscess). When I had my abscess problem, I did a lot of searching on both abscesses and fistulas and posted a couple of links that I found helpful here:
http://anal-fissure.org/references-websites-facts-f5/reading-on-abscesses-and-fistulas-t2256.htm
The second link was pretty detailed and easy to understand.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby afugh!! » 24 Aug 2010, 14:55

I only had 3 hours of sleep last night and today is very hot so when I came into the doctor I was kinda of spaced out so I couldn't fully comprehend everything he was explaining to me.I'm just hoping it is not that deep down in my rectum and I can avoid having that string thing attached but I'm gonna have to just wait and see when I have the surgery.Thanks for the link btw NG.Just watched a video of the surgical procedure and it doesn't look like it takes very long to do it.It looks kind of rough though and I hope it doesn't re-tear my fissure.I wanted to ask the doctor if I have to miss a little time off work after the surgery but by the time I got my pants back on he was already out the door.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2010, 00:31

Whoa dude you're a brave man for watching video of the surgery before having it done haha. I don't have the cajones to do that. I'm supposed to get circumcised soon (medical reasons) and actually started watching a video of the procedure to satisfy my curiosity. That's something I deeply regret, I got a couple seconds in before realizing it was a terrible idea Image Now it's all I can think about. Sad, I know.
Good idea scheduling your surgery for October. With our heat wave this week I definitely wouldn't wanna run around in it after butt surgery. Plus then maybe you can lounge around the house afterward and watch sports on painkillers :) I figure I'm gonna try to schedule my little chop-chop procedure in September around one of the weekends. If I've got to sit around with a sore "member" then I figure it might as well be while I'm on the couch watching football all day.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby afugh!! » 26 Aug 2010, 03:01

Ya well I'm a morbid dude.Ughh your getting circumcised,I got circumcised when I was 8 years old and I still remember it vividly.It's gonna be real sensitive down there after the surgery so be sure you pick out some nice dress to wear and whatever you do don't get turned on and pop a boner . I remember the part that hurts the most was the shots to numb it up and the rest was fairly painless.The part that bugged me the most was watching my weewee get hacked up Image .Are you getting put to sleep for yours? Hell yeah this heatwave is FREAKIN BRUTAL!!!It was 112 degrees today in the valley and the temp was at 94 degrees at 11pm.I'm just glad my fissure has healed up and I was able to take it.I can't even recall a day in summers past when the temp goes over 109 deg.in the valley.I figure October would be a good time for the surgery,I wish I could do it in November so I can recover watching the start of the nba season and football but I want to get better before Christmas.I'ts all good though atleast my fissure has re-healed for the meantime and I can party my ass off for a month before surgery.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2010, 10:13

Bwahaha ok I'm not talking to you about circumcision anymore. You're just gonna freak me out more lol. Yeah I'm going to demand getting put to sleep via MAC anesthesia for mine. None of that being awake and watching stuff. I'm not as worried about the pain (because the medical condition making circumcision necessary has already hurt for 3 months), but more the thought of being cut down there, which is just disturbing for some reason :(
Sadly I read about the erection thing. It's the only difference between adult and pediatric circumcision and is the reason adult ones are rougher. Apparently adults get involuntary erections an average of 8-10 times a night and there's nothing you can do to stop them. Most accounts I've read from people who got "cut" as adults say the nighttime erections hurt like hell and wake you up from your sleep, and in rare cases, it can actually pull the sutures apart. Doesn't sound real fun, so definitely not looking forward to that part. Oh and the accounts of a swollen and bruised penis for days afterward don't sound cool either.
It's supposed to get cooler up here today. We'll see though. It's 9 AM and it's already pretty muggy. My goal is to square away any surgeries before the end of the year too. Just gotta leave the bad juju behind in this year before kicking off the new one.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 26 Aug 2010, 11:32

NG,
I don't know if this will make you feel better but I know someone who had this done this Summer. He's in his 50's. He said that he had problems for around 15 years and just had enough. I think it took him about two weeks and he was back at work and fine.

Postby afugh!! » 26 Aug 2010, 15:16

Lol sorry to freak you out.I'd figure adult circumsion would be harder,luckily I didn't do mines any later in life but getting circumcised at around 8-11 yrs. of age is a tradition in my family.If you get put to sleep in your procedure that would be great because being awake is the big reason why I still remember it vividly.If they don't put you to sleep don't worry too much,if I recall it only took less than 10 minutes to get shot,sliced,stitched and the shot still being the most painful part atleast from my memory.The string they use to stitch you with is going to dissolve over time.But yeah it's going to be tough not getting an erection.One trick I use to bring down my erection is to think of Barbara Bush Image I know but thinking of that haggy old lady always does the trick for me.It seems you have gone through a rough two yrs.and I feel for you man,hopefully after this surgery things will get even better for you.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2010, 23:08

lol dawn and afugh thanks for both of your posts. It definitely helps to hear about others that had it done before. It's such a minor surgery in the big picture of things that I know I shouldn't be freaked out about it, but for some reason I am. Completely irrational but my mind wanders I suppose. I've only had problems "there" for 3 months and it's already driving me nuts, I can't imagine the 15 years that your friend had problems dawn!
afugh it's funny that you mention the tradition because my wife's family also gets their boys chopped around something like 11-12. The doctor just comes over to their house and does it right there lol. My wife's little brother is only 20 years old and I was asking him a bunch of questions the other day about what it was like and he pretty much said "yeah the doc just did it in our living room and I had to wear a skirt for a few days and that was it". Didn't sound like it was a big deal to him but he probably didn't have to deal with erections hahaha. Still, I guess if all kinds of little kids are getting it done at home wide awake, I can stand to get it done under anesthesia in a hospital :)
Personally I think I'd go with Roseanne Barr, but maybe that's just personal taste...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby afugh!! » 27 Aug 2010, 03:14

You know what I think it's a filipino thing on why we get circumcised around that age.My brother and I got circumcised at the same time in the the Philippines during our vacation and he was 11 yrs.old at the time.But yeah it's all good the procedure only takes about 10-15 minutes and you will be good after a week.One benefit of being circumcised is that you will last longer when you have sex :D Did you use to ever watch Married With Children?There was an episode when Al Bundy got circumcised and it was hilarious.He had the hardest time trying not to get turned on and getting an erection through the whole show.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist