Tired of this...making an appointment to talk about LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Tired of this...making an appointment to talk about LIS

Postby Deleted User 428 » 13 Sep 2010, 13:16

I'm back in the throws of another setback. I have had my AF since April but have only recently started any serious treatment. It took me forever to come to terms that this won't go away on it's own so I finally went to my GP and then to a CRS to get this looked at.
I have been on Diltiazem for about 4 weeks now. There was no difference in my pain for the first two weeks and then I started to notice some relief. Then, I had no pain for about 8 or 9 days straight. I thought I was well on the road to recovery but it reared it's ugly head again late last week. My bowel movements have been very soft thanks to colace and metamucil and I cannot pinpoint any event that caused this recurrence. It just happened.
I'm tired of this so I moved my appointment up with the CRS and I'm going to ask for the LIS surgery. It just seems like that is the only permanent solution. Has anyone who has stuck with the non-surgical treatments really ever been cured 100%? Isn't there always an occasional flareup? I just don't want to go through this any longer. My life has stopped in it's tracks for months now and it's time to move on.
Of course I'm a little concerned with the incontinence issue but my CRS assured me the risk is very small and even smaller for men. Have we seen anyone on here who opted for LIS that has had incontinence problems? That will be my first set of questions for the CRS but I think I'm going for it anyway. When he first told me the options for treatment he described LIS as one-stop shopping. If you do it, it will be done with. He wanted me to try the Diltiazem first though because he said I may be one of the lucky few where it will go away but he did warn that the likelihood of recurrence is very high with the no surgery route.
I'll keep posting my path...whichever route it takes.
Deleted User 428

Re: Tired of this...making an appointment to talk about LIS

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 14:13

SC,
Your story sounds just like mine. I have been using the diltiazem for 7 weeks and have had blood about every week. Like you I can't pin point anything that I have done any differently.
I have read many stories on the internet about people who have had LIS and I haven't seen one has had permanent incontinence. Some have had temporary but it only last a couple of weeks and they say it didn't happen every day, just in that period of time.
I also had my appointment moved up to this weds. to discuss Lis with my crs too. I'm fed up and tired of my life revolving around this.
I hope I'm not making a mistake but I feel like the surgery is the best way to go. It's just too depressing dealing with this.
I wish now I just would have had it 7 months ago because it has already taken 7 months of my life away.
Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Postby Deleted User 428 » 13 Sep 2010, 14:47

Thanks Dawn.
Good luck to you on your appointment.
I've read a ton of stories too and haven't seen any incontinence issues after the surgery. The only issues I have seen are with people who have had other issues besides just an AF like Crohns or IBS or having other procedures done at the same time beside LIS. The fact that almost everyone that has had LIS on this forum drops off at some point tells me that IT IS the way to go. They got their lives back.
I'm lucky that I have one of the best CRS's around. At least that's what I've been told from a lot of people here in the medical community. I've been told hands down that this is the guy you want working on your back side if you need it. I'm going to be asking him a lot of questions about LIS so I'll let you know what he says.
I know what you mean about the lost time. I've been in this for 5 months and I've lost (not literally but support-wise) everyone close to me. They are just tired of hearing about my butt. Whenever I start talking I can see my wife's eyes glaze over and her patience peaking. She supports me but wants me to go do something about it rather than complaining. I hope there is light at the end of this tunnel. I go in next Wed.
Last edited by Deleted User 428 on 13 Sep 2010, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Deleted User 428

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 15:24

Thank you and good luck to you.
That's really good that your doctor is well known and has a good reputation. I don't know anything about mine. That kind of bothers me.
I know what you mean about the support. I don't think anyone really understands unless they've been where we have with this, just how much it hurts and consumes you with fear anxiety and pain. I noticed my sister quit calling to see how I am...I know she thinks I should have just had the surgery already. I think people think that they just put a stitch in it or, something simple and all is well... Image
I don't think they realize how hard it is to make the decision when you are aware of the surgery and what they do.
I think I read in another thread something Phil said his doctor told him about deciding to have the surgery and have pain for a few weeks or live in pain the rest of your life... I think I'll take the few weeks to recover. I've already gave seven months. A couple of weeks don't seem too bad anymore.
I'll update after my appointment weds. also.

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 15:27

I forgot to say I agree with you about the others who have been on the board and dropped off. That's a good sign. :)

Postby StevePain » 13 Sep 2010, 15:39

If you think the surgery is right for you then go for it, I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice having LIS since I still have pain almost 6 weeks post-op, saying that though I love the fact that my bum is very loose compared to before surgery and the spasms have gone.
Good luck!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 15:45

Thanks Steve :)
What does your doctor say about you still having pain? Are you feeling any better than before the surgery? Do you think because you also had a fissurectomy that things are going a little slower? I heard they take a little more time than just Lis alone? I hate that your still not feeling well.
Wanted to add on a lighter note: I love your avatar! I'm praying for your healing.

Postby Deleted User 428 » 13 Sep 2010, 15:57

I'm trying to think back to what my doc said about the surgery recovery when he explained the treatment options. I asked spcifically. I think he said there is a little burning and discomfort but he said that the majority of his patients report the fissure pain disappears within 2-3 days and the surgery discomfort is nothing compared to the fissure pain. I can live with that too after what I've been through for 5 months. He also told me it's a very quick procedure. It takes him about 5 minutes. I've sat on the pot longer than that worrying about how bad it's going to hurt to go...
Deleted User 428

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 17:26

yes from what I've read the procedure is pretty fast. I'm not sure about the recovery though. When I talked to the PA at my CRS's office, he said in a few days you will feel great, but that's not what I have read. The majority of people I have read about said a week and a 1/2 to two weeks before being able to go back to work, but I don't know... There are some who have taken less time and some who have taken longer?!

Postby Deleted User 428 » 13 Sep 2010, 17:36

Wow, 1 1/2 - 2 weeks off work??? I didn't get that from my doc at all. He didn't say specifically that I would have to take time off work at all. I got the feeling I'd be up and around the next day with some discomfort but nothing requiring bed rest or anything. I guess I'll find out for sure next week.
I probably wouldn't take time off anyway since I work from home. I sit at the computer all day so I would probably move to the couch if needed....
Deleted User 428