LIS - 2 months post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS - 2 months post-op

Postby StevePain » 04 Oct 2010, 14:10

I am now 2 months (by date) post-op..
I'm now feeling more normal than I can ever remember, there's a tiny amount of discomfort from the incision and fissure site, it's hardly noticeable and doesn't interfere with my daily routine, life no longer revolves around the bathroom and pooping is so much easier, since stopping the Movicol my stools have become a lot firmer but not rock hard but there is no problem passing them and no associated pain, ironically, the very thing that kept me soft and regular seemed to cause the most pain, maybe if I'd of stopped the Movicol sooner I would of felt better quicker, I did start taking Fybogel for a week to bulk up the stools but have now stopped that as well, for the first time in years I'm taking no stool softeners at all and things couldn't be better, I haven't given up the water and fibre rich foods though but am not doing the diet I once used to, the whole point of the surgery was to get my life back, including foods that I used to eat etc, and I'm happy to say I'm on the right track.
Looking back over the years of suffering with a fissure my only wish was that I'd of sought surgery sooner instead of letting things get out of hand, despite the post-op pain my surgery brought I think it was the correct decision, I would recommend surgery to anyone and would do it all again if I had to, please don't be discouraged by some of my other posts, everybody has different post-op pain and different rates of healing.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: LIS - 2 months post-op

Postby Guest » 04 Oct 2010, 17:37

It's so good to see you have recovered so well and are finally getting your life back. I think your post are realistic and like you said we all heal differently and I think it's very encouraging... Your procedure worked and that's what others need to see who are in fear of getting it done.
Your story is encouraging and I think considering the procedure you had that you handled it very well.
I think that's what makes this board so useful. We get to see individual recoveries and get a real idea of what to expect. Not some doctor saying that we'll be back at work in 3 days( who's never had it done).
All of the stories take the mystery out of the unknown
and gives hope and ideas of what to expect. I value the truth about all the recoveries good or bad- being told...
I'm so good to hear that you can eat more things now and able to stop the miralax.
You surely deserve it after so long. Image

Postby StevePain » 05 Oct 2010, 06:55

Thanks dawn, I can't wait for your surgery feedback, I just know you're going to be so much better, by the sounds of it your sphincter is too tight so LIS is definitely gonna sort that out for you! Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 05 Oct 2010, 14:22

Thank you Steve. I think your right....Passing gas is almost impossible. The best weeks I had was when the antibiotics turned my bms to mush.
Soft formed stools aren't good enough at this point. :(
I really do appreciate your support...Just having a pretty bad day...

Postby Philber » 05 Oct 2010, 18:04

Hey Steve,
It's really nice to hear that things are still improving for you, and that you're glad you had the surgery. I feel exactly the same way. I just wish I had done it sooner.
I'm also back to eating normal foods, although I'm trying to get lots of fiber and trying to drink lots of water. I'm still taking Metamucil and Miralax, but only once a day now, and I don't really notice it if I miss a day.
I'm glad things have turned out well for you.
Regards, Phil
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 06 Oct 2010, 04:00

Thanks Phil, It's great to be back eating normal foods, the foods that most people take for granted!
Like you, I wish I'd of took the plunge sooner if I could of, but it's not as easy here in the UK, there is such a long waiting list and you have to go through every other available treatment first before they even consider surgery which is why we suffer for years.
StevePain
King Fissure