Back from CRS, anyone had stretch/dilation???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Back from CRS, anyone had stretch/dilation???

Postby New mum » 04 Nov 2010, 19:27

I just got back from my CRS appointment, he was the 2nd 1 i have seen and i feel more comfortable with his skills i guess.
He said to me that since mine started from child birth i should try the stretch. he said its a 85% sucess rate as a Lis is 95%. he also said that the recovery is about the same (if the lis has not hick ups), which he said 5 days for recovery.
My question is has anyone tryed this????
i have never heard of it before but he thinks i should give it a go first. I worry that he will be stretching it so for re-tearing my fissure and i will have pain from that and the stretch=brusing. He also said i may get the spasms after till it heals because he is stretching not cuttings.
I do like the idea that its not a cut, but have not heard this happen to anyone?
THanks New Mum
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Back from CRS, anyone had stretch/dilation???

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Nov 2010, 20:34

I do not know where are you located , but in the USA any CRS that did not finish schooling more than 20 years ago does NOT do stretching. One told me that it is not even taught in the Med schools any more Image
It has higher incidence of incontinence , as far as I know, since muscle fibers do brake and without much "control". If you want to use that method, than ask for ultrasound evaluation of your sphincter integrity beforehand !!!! I know of a case where a patient had stretch done and became incontinent . When they did ultrasound they discovered that his anus was compromised and should NOT have bean stretched : (((. Anus of women that did have vaginal birth can be compromised, and as far as I know, stretch is even less recommended for that cohort of patients.
Since recovery is almost same and risk bigger and results 10 % lover - I would do LIS , but that is me ; ) !
If I were you and wanted more conservative "try" , I would do Botox Image
Best of luck !!! Image
PS : What is HIS personal experience with LIS ??? Let him forget "med articles" (which actually predict 98 % success rate for the LIS ) Always ask your doctor about HIS/HER personal record in doing LIS and success rate - it can variate a lot from what "books say" ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 05 Nov 2010, 09:34

My GP said that having the stretch is barbaric and that it wasn't carried out that much these days, LIS is the ultimate treatment for AF, personally, I don't like the associated risks involved with dilation, I would choose LIS hands down
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby afugh!! » 05 Nov 2010, 14:20

My dad had dilation for his fissure decades ago and it worked for him.Del who was a boardie here had a slight dilation and it worked for him also since he isn't around anymore.It may work for some but it's a risky procedure.Do what Fiss says and check your sphincter integrity and ask your CRS how many times he has done that procedure and what is his personal success rate is.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19