Still Bleeding 4 months Post-op LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Still Bleeding 4 months Post-op LIS

Postby TomatoSoup » 10 Dec 2018, 16:01

I just need to vent. I can't believe that I spent nearly $2000 to get this fixed and am still nervous before every bathroom trip, still thinking and reading about fissures everyday.

I was healing fine and even had my 2 week followup with the surgeon who said the fissure healed. Then at 4 weeks I had one less than perfect bowel movement that required a bit of pushing to get out and looked back and saw blood in the bowl. Went back to the doctor, had to see a different surgeon because mine was out of town, said he saw a small tear and gave me nifedipine which I used for a month.

I got the surgery right before moving cross country and wouldn't ya know my insurance does not cover my new state so I have to start over even though LIS made me max out my deductible. Now I barely have the money to cover rent and my rectum still bleeds during a bowel movement at least once a week. It's almost like clockwork. I'll have 3-4 good days and start to think "ok it's healed" and then FOR NO REASON I'll have drops of blood on top of the stool. Also, I drink water in the morning and my bowel movements are PERFECT. No strain, soft, easy.

The only good thing is that I don't have any pain and didn't have any incontinence from the surgery. But I didn't have chronic pain before the surgery and now I bleed more than before I went through the whole ordeal.

THis is driving me crazy. I've actually stopped talking to my wife about it because I felt like I was gonna drive her crazy too. We'd be sitting at dinner and I'd be lost in thought about the stress of this situation. I don't even tell her I still see blood in the bowl once a week.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Still Bleeding 4 months Post-op LIS

Postby patience_and_healing » 11 Dec 2018, 11:30

So sorry that you're dealing with this when you thought you'd be free of it by now. I hope full healing is on the horizon soon for you.
You might have already considered this but have you gotten checked for internal hemorrhoids? If you have no pain with bleeding that's often a sign of hemorrhoids. Also, can you get another doctor to check if the internal wound has healed fully?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?