LIS on Thursday morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS on Thursday morning

Postby Cagirl » 29 Nov 2010, 20:17

Well I did it. I booked my LIS for Thursday morning. I can hardly ;P wait to hear the pre-op instructions. Did anyone here have to do an enema??? Good grief, it doesn't get much better than that!!!!
Any pre-op or post op suggestions you'd like to pass along?
Thanks everyone, I'd be more of a mess without you all!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: LIS on Thursday morning

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2010, 22:04

Yayyy!!! Good Luck Cagirl. You're going to be so glad you did this.
I didn't have to do the enema, but have read of many others who did.
I just want to say- do everything after LIS that you've been doing before to keep bm's soft and regular. I kept worrying before my surgery about my bm's and couldn't see how I could make things work after LIS since I couldn't get them soft enough to keep from re-tearing w/my fissure, but it all worked amazingly well after the muscle was cut and relaxed!!:)
Take your pain meds, stool softeners, warm baths and high fiber diet and rest and baby that booty. The best advice I read on this board was judge your progress by weeks, not days and you will see a difference. Each week I noticed big improvements. You will be sore but it really isn't that bad. My fissure was much worse than the surgery!
This board was so supportive of me and the information I got made it so much easier to handle and to know what to expect. I just kept reading everyones experiences.
Keep us posted and we're here for you. My thoughts and prayers are w/ you on Thursday!! If I can help in any way through your recovery~ I'm here. Take care!

Postby New mum » 30 Nov 2010, 05:40

Hey yep I had to use enema, I think I was more worried about that then the lis before I did it. I used vasline and layed on a towel on my left side which is what the website said coz ur bowel is there. It worked in about 30sec. I did jump in the bath after coz it was a bit burnie. But the enema it self did not hurt at all I used one called microlax enema and it was quite small.
Hope I helped dont stress over it like I did.
Good luck!
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Cagirl » 30 Nov 2010, 07:55

Thank you both. Yes newmum, I seem to be more worried about the enema than anything else, lol.
And I can't get my stool soft. I've been taking Colace and that doesn't seem to be working. I've had to take Milk of Magnesia with it at times and that's rather...... explosive! Anyone have any soft stool remedies?
Thanks again!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 30 Nov 2010, 08:00

Many of us like Miralax. :)
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2010, 08:23

Miralax has been a life saver. I took colace up until I had LIS, then started Miralax. It's much better IMO.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Nov 2010, 16:12

Congrats on getting your ass back in a couple of days :)
I used a Fleets enema before both of my ass surgeries. I have to be honest: for me, it did not feel good at all. In fact both times it was pretty painful. The solution really stung on the fissure.
My comments on the matter would be:
1. If you'd rather avoid the enema, talk to your surgeon in the few days left before the operation and see if you can do without it. The reason they use it is so there's no stool in the way to obscure their view during the surgery. I talked with my surgeon after my second operation (too late, I know :)) and she said that if I'd told her that I had completely emptied my bowels with lots of watery poops beforehand, she wouldn't have made me do the enema.
2. If you do end up doing the enema, and it ends up being one of the bottles with a long neck that has to be inserted, be conservative. Don't try to get it too far inside, and don't empty the entire bottle if you don't feel like you need it. The first time I did it, I approached it like it was some kind of contest and jammed that sucker way up and then emptied all of the contents. That resulted in a rather violent and explosive aftermath which was definitely near the bottom of my bucket list. Whatever is enough to get a complete poop is what you need, nothing more. You can always add more if the first "jolt" wasn't enough.
And yeah, +100 for Miralax here. It's the greatest stuff around IMO and scoffs at constipation and hard stools. If other stool softeners aren't working, Miralax may just be your knight in shining armor. It's come and swept many of us off our feet, that's for sure :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 01 Dec 2010, 08:15

Good Luck w/ your surgery tomorrow CG. Image

Postby Cagirl » 01 Dec 2010, 09:35

Thank you all. Thank you Dawn for being there for me! I feel so pathetic!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 01 Dec 2010, 10:00

Oh No, You are not pathetic!!!!!!!!!! I was the biggest freak before my surgery...lol
I have never been so scared in my life. I cried like a baby before and after! I told my husband If they were taking an organ or a limb that I didn't think I could be any more nervous!
You will do fine!! Wait and see:)