Swelling after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Swelling after LIS?

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 15:20

I'm 8 weeks post-op tomorrow as most of you probably know already, And I have a little swelling going on still. I went shopping a couple of days in a row and they were like 5 or more hours of walking, plus I've been recently lifting my 9 month old grandbaby who's a chunk(25 lbs).
Is it normal to have some swelling or am I over doing it some? My husband said a couple of weeks ago when he last checked it was less than it is now. :roll:

Re: Swelling after LIS?

Postby New mum » 13 Dec 2010, 20:05

hey dawn, good to see ur back from been a guest!
i just seen my gp and she said that the swelling will be there for atleast the first 3months.
and holy crap your grandbaby must be feed well hahahaha
I am feeding my little one truck loads so she will put on the weight i think she is just to active.
5hrs of walking you are doing well, 1hr is enough for me.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 21:38

Thanks New mum :)
It's good to have some what of an idea on how long the swelling will last.
Yeah my grandbaby is well fed,Lol. I think she would eat all day if we fed her. Her Mom( my daughter) was never as big or as good of a eater as she is.
As for the wallking, I may need to make my shopping trips a little shorter until I am fully healed with no swelling. I'm still not sure if it's because I had several bowel movements yesterday?!
Oh well I'm not in pain, so hopefully in time this will be fully healed.:)
Thanks for giving me that info. My CRS didn't tell me anything about it.
Take care,
Dawn

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Dec 2010, 23:48

Hrm is it just swelling or does it look like more than that? A few "challenging" poops that are either too hard or too watery (or sometimes just too frequent) can irritate the area and make it a bit pinkish. I still get that sometimes if I have to poop a lot during a given day. Personally I think it's always been like that, even before the words "anal fissure" ever entered my vocabulary, but I just never looked at the area in the good ol' days.
If I were you I'd take a peek at the area tomorrow morning before any BMs occur and see if it still looks the same. If it looks less swollen then it's probably just because of the frequent poops.
The main thing you want to watch out for is swelling with any pus oozing or pain. Pain or tenderness could be a potential infection, and pus would definitely be an infection. It seems unlikely at 8 weeks out, and if the area isn't painful then it's almost certainly not the case though.
And yeah, I can't even do 5 hours of walking totally normal and without any medical issues lol.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2010, 06:33

Hey NG, it doesn't hurt to set on it or when I press on it. I don't see any pus. It looks a little swollen, like a very small hem. would. I have no problems with pain and if I hadn't of felt it the other day while applying vaseline, I don't think I would have even known it was there.
Since taking the miralax my bm's can be from one to even 4 a day, but nothing runny. I had 4 on the day that I felt it.
I think on a normal day before I had the fissure, I would have never even noticed it. Hopefully it won't turn into a Huge hem, or something one day.
The fear of something happening or coming back is going to be the death of me,lol.
Thanks for your help,
Dawn

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 13:47

If it doesn't hurt then it's innocuous in all likelihood :) I think sometimes anal surgery can leave its own little skin tags, so maybe it's one of these harmless things forming? Is it near where the fissure was or where your skin tag was removed? Anything to worry about definitely presents with pain. Maybe it even looks improved today?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2010, 19:12

NG, it's exactly where the skin tag was removed. It's grew some today. My husband took a look after me and said it's exactly where the skin tag was...I'm freaking out today about this plus my 20 year old daughter is having some butt issues and I'm scared shi*less about what's going on w/ her. She's the healthiest eater I know. She just doesn't seem to drink enough, although water is all she ever drinks.
I can't understand how a tag can come back where a tag was removed?! What's the point in having it removed!!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 19:34

Sorry to hear about your daughter Dawn :( Hopefully she's okay...
This may be a dumb question, but does the new bump look like a skin tag? More to the point, does it look like a bulging sack of skin like a skin tag goes? Or does it look fluid filled at all?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2010, 19:37

My husband said it looks like a mild version of the other one, like it's swollen?! What do you think NG? I'm freaking out!!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 20:04

Hey hey hey don't freak out just yet -- if it's not fluid filled, it seems unlikely that it's causing any harm. I'd definitely get the doc to double check, but usually bad things would have fluid in them or coming out of them.
I'm not sure if skin tags actually recur after surgery. Maybe they do but I don't recall anything one way or the other (sorry). But I'm pretty sure that surgery itself can sometimes cause skin tags (they're technically called "residual skin tags" if I recall correctly). I don't know how common these are after fissure surgery but I don't believe they're uncommon at all after hemorrhoid surgery. It's possible that it's one of these if it looks fleshy rather than fluid filled. I know it sounds dumb because why go through the trouble of cutting it off if you just get another one in the same place, but I think it's one of those "side effects" that can happen. Are you able to have your CRS take a look to be sure? If it's not painful and isn't fluid filled I think the worst case is it's a cosmetic eyesore, but it can't hurt to have someone actually look at it (which of course we can't :().
About the swelling: my skin tags still do that sometimes after a few watery BMs. I don't think I'd worry too much about that part. I know it's tough because you thought it was taken care of once and for all but just try to keep the good part in mind, which is that all in all likelihood, it's not something dangerous at all.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure