4 wks post appointment with gp????

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

4 wks post appointment with gp????

Postby New mum » 13 Dec 2010, 19:27

So i had my 4 wk post app with gp coz my csr is on hols. She said she could not seee the fissure and he must have cut on the left side coz its a bit harder. And i still have a few small spasms going on.
Questions.....
Is is normal to still have spasms?
I thought the cut was done on the outside????
She lso said she could not see the skin tag she seen last time so i dont lnow what happened there the csr said nothing about that.
When do u know if the lis has not worked? The last bm was a bit uncomfortable but not painful and still with some small spasms.
Oi know i am stressing i just need to give it more time.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: 4 wks post appointment with gp????

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Dec 2010, 23:55

The incision is done right around the anal verge. You may or may not be able to see it easily from just looking at the area with the naked eye. If the doc used an anuscope, she should be able to see it, but I assume she didn't since you were so fresh off surgery.
Some people do have spasms after surgery. Sometimes it is the result of surgery (takes some time for things to settle down), and sometimes it is a residual spasm (i.e., not enough of the muscle was cut to totally kill off all spasms). It doesn't mean that LIS didn't work. They may just go away with time, or the fissure could heal despite the spasms. You generally aren't able to tell for sure if LIS worked or not until a couple of months out, and it's normal for there to still be a few ups and downs during that time.
As long as there is no unusual bleeding or infection, then things should be progressing. So it means you're definitely okay in the short term. I think your CRS in a few weeks would know more since he/she knows exactly what was done. It's difficult to be patient and it's natural to keep wondering how things are going (believe me, I asked way more questions than you did after LIS!), but sit tight, I'm sure you're getting there :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 15 Dec 2010, 00:09

Thanks ng!
what do they do in your post op appointment with ur crs??
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Dec 2010, 01:09

In my post-op appointments they always ask a bunch of questions about how things feel, and of course spread the ol' cheeks to take a peek inside. In the first follow-up or two, I didn't get scoped since the wound was still somewhat fresh, just got fingers spreading the area so the doc could get a look. Usually they take it easy on ya and go mostly by how you feel if I recall correctly.
By the way, out of curiosity, how can you tell the feelings are spasms? Do they simply feel that way, or are they things where you can actually feel (say with a finger tip) the sphincter kind of moving around?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby New mum » 15 Dec 2010, 03:44

I have to pinching every now and then but the doctor said it was still spasms when she had a feel.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 15 Dec 2010, 08:23

big hugs to you new mum!
is there any way to take a break from thinking about your bum? LOL, probably not....at this point, we are all super vigilant, looking over like a helicopter keeping an eye on a fleeting car in hot pursuit after a bank robbery.
do you recall having pinching before the surgery?
try to focus on the good improvements. i hope you are not in any discomfort or pain.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby StevePain » 15 Dec 2010, 08:46

I had post-op spasms that lasted for a couple of months along with that pinchy feeling, it's all part of the surgery and will subside in time, it may take a long time to fully heal though, I'm just over 4 month post-op and still have the occasional discomfort after some tricky BM's, stay vigilant and look after that bum!
StevePain
King Fissure