Flax oil, Colace, and Mirilax- which one is making me go 5 t

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Flax oil, Colace, and Mirilax- which one is making me go 5 t

Postby Bambi » 14 Dec 2010, 09:53

So right now I am taking 1 tablespoon of flax oil before bed, a very small amount of Miralax in warm water at bedtime ( this I think has really helped, but more than a tsp and I have really, really loose stools) and I am still taking 1 generic Colace before bed as well. Of course, I am also trying to eat 4-5 fruits and veggies a day. One of the things that is most annoying to me through all this and has impacted my life quite a bit is that I usually seem to have a BM pretty much every time I eat. And first thing in the morning. So I end up going about 2-3 times a day on a "good" day and up to 5-6 times a day on a "bad" day (like yesterday!). Right now, the fissure seems to be trying to heal (or maybe is healed) after Botox 4 weeks ago. However, I have a skin tag which confuses things because I have irritation after I have a BM. So as most of you know, each time I have a BM I wash off in the tub, sometimes soak, etc.... Each one is generally pretty soft and formed right now. I am fearful of dropping anything out because then I might have the unpleasant surprise the next day of a too hard BM that would set me back. I am so sick of all this fear! But does anyone have any thoughts on which of these 3 things may have a stimulant, laxative effect vs simply stool softening and/or is it just my increased fiber and more healthy diet causing this? I tried dropping out the flaxseed oil last night ( which is a pain when you travel by the way!) and this morning only had a fairly small, firmer but not painful BM. My theory is to try dropping one out for a day or two and seeing what happens while praying a lot!
Once again, thanks for listening. I never did think I'd be pontificating on my BMs , but you all know more than any Drs, that's for sure!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Flax oil, Colace, and Mirilax- which one is making me go 5 t

Postby Bambi » 14 Dec 2010, 09:56

Or I guess my basic question is, how to insure softness without increasing frequency?!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 13:45

I'd personally think it's the increased fiber intake or the Miralax that's causing frequent BMs.
Flaxseed oil makes me poop a lot, but as far as I know, most other folks don't get the same effect from it, so it seems unlikely to be the culprit unless you have a weird GI like me.
Increased fiber intake, on the other hand, will cause frequent BMs for nearly anyone.
I think the other way to look at it is this: which of the components you've listed is doing you good? Regardless of BM frequency, what you want is a regimen that will help your fissure.
For me, personally (and this is my personal take which may or may not suit your individual biochemistry), I'd probably opt to stop the flaxseed oil (I'm not convinced it does much for fissures one way or the other), continue the high fiber diet, and stop either the Colace or the Miralax. One stool softener should be enough unless you're really constipated, which clearly isn't the case. I'd keep whichever stool softener is more effective for you and see how that goes. Unfortunately there will be some trial and error involved, but I don't think you're too far from finding what works.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bambi » 14 Dec 2010, 13:51

Thanks NG! You are always so helpful. I think you have a good way of looking at it actually. I think I will go a couple of days sans flaxseed oil and see what happens and next step would probably be dropping out the Colace. Although I still think Miralax makes me feel funny in a way I can't qite describe, it seems to work better than Colace and I am using such a small amount right now. I have had better success with it ever since you mentioned you put it in warm water and it seemed to mitigate some of the gas and other possible side effects. So now every night I have some warm, herbal peppermint tea or just warm water with it. Thanks-
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 19:49

Yep I mix my Miralax into boiling water. We have one of those little water heaters (basically every Asian household has one :)) that keeps water just below boiling, so I just fill a 4-8 ounce cup full and mix it right in.
Miralax made me feel a bit off the first few days too. Kind of a very mildly lightheaded, flushed feeling. That eventually subsided (or maybe I just got used to it) after a week or so though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Bambi » 14 Dec 2010, 19:55

I decided today when walking around the mall that the feeling it gives me is as if I had a mild fever- I feel rather flushed, too, I would say. I was thinking it was better, but realized I still felt that way today. However, I am also a menopausal woman and I have had a few true hot flashes in the last year. You are just a young pup!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Dec 2010, 20:20

Haha I think this one is probably the Miralax rather than menopause :) The first time I took Miralax, I actually told my coworker that I felt like I had a "hot flash" and got kind of a funny look in return.
For me the flushed feeling would only last for maybe 15-20 minutes after a dose. If it's lasting longer for you then maybe you're real sensitive to it. When I started I also got real loose stools from it. I had to play with both the dosage and the amount of daily fiber until I got it right. Now I take close to a full dose every day and pretty much eat whatever I want, a lot of which is pretty junky and definitely has no fiber whatsoever. So there's definitely an art to it. I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon enough though. Hey, look at the bright side, if it's causing loose stools then you're doing something right, now you just have to do it a tiny bit less right and you'll be good to go.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 14 Dec 2010, 21:05

Miralax causes a person to have more frequent BM's (says it right on the bottle). Added fiber does the same (that is why it is good for digestion/constipation issues).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 15 Dec 2010, 08:37

Not everyone can tolerate it though, plus the added nightmare of frequent BM's that burn and sting like hell, especially right after surgery, the main reason why I gave it up and started on Fybogel.
Really, Movicol is mainly for constipation/impaction, neither of which I suffer from, hence the change
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Bumbutt » 18 Dec 2010, 05:26

What time of day do you guys take Movicol? One dose at night? Several small doses during the day?
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7