How will a fissurectomy help me if I still have spasms?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Postby Pita89 » 11 Jun 2019, 10:31

Hi all. New here, and very grateful to have found a community like this one. :hugs:

I've been battling a fissure for 3 months now and am weighing my options. My CRS said that my fissure is now chronic; I've developed a small skin tag and none of the creams, baths, etc have done anything to stop the spasms that I experience for 7-8 hours after a bowel movement. The fissure itself is not bleeding or ulcerated, but it is deep to the muscle and causing relentless spasms.

He recommended I have a fissurectomy, but stated it would just involve him cauterizing the fissure and putting a dissolvable stitch in it l, but I can find no info on this method online. Does anyone know of or have experience with this?

Also, how will a fissurectomy help me if the spasms are the problem? He's said that he believes my fissure would've healed already if it weren't for the spasms, because despite it's depth it's otherwise "uncomplicated"... but I guess I don't see how stitching it shut, while still having the spasms and reduced blood flow to the area, will help it to heal. Can anyone give any insight?
Pita89
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: How will a fissurectomy help me if I still have spasms?

Postby owmybum » 11 Jun 2019, 13:29

I think the idea of a fissurectomy is to freshen up the edges so it heals properly. Maybe you will have to use some nitro or diltiazem after to promote blood flow?
I’ve not heard of it being stitched up before..... but if he’s done it loads before he must have confidence in it.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Pherianne » 11 Jun 2019, 15:51

I was stitched during my fissurectocmy because I had a polyp at the top of my fissure. He only stitched the top of the fissure under the polyp. It keeps the wound stable even through spasm. I had a lot of painful spasm, but I don’t bleeding during movement or when spasm gets bad.

I manage my spasm with marijuana when it happens now - which is getting less and less.

I think the stitching is a good thing. I wish he had stitched the whole thing. My fissure is chromic and slowly healing.
Pherianne
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Bloodybum » 12 Jun 2019, 15:26

We could all chip in our two cents but the reason a particular procedure was recommended in your individual case is really a question for your doctor. Your asking the right questions though.

Edit: just out of curiousity, how do you know how deep it is? I didn't this this could be determined from a simple visual examination. My CRS has told me I have a "big ugly chronic thing" but I think that was just because of the skin tag.
Bloodybum
Salt Bather

Topics: 8