Massive Pain with BM Post-LIS and Stitches

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Massive Pain with BM Post-LIS and Stitches

Postby Assman91 » 06 Jul 2019, 01:57

New here but been a lurker for a little while. 6 months suffering from a CAF. Day 4 post LIS so still early days—had an LIS and a polyp removed with stiches (the surgeon didnt anticipate the polyp).

Though i still much prefer the consistency here, every morning I have had the urge to go, the pain when passing a BM is excruciating (Im talking shouting and tears, some of the worst among many terrible BMs Ive had on this road) followed by a ten minute come down period during the sitz bath and then just mild discomfort for a while. Obviously this creates some major anxiety when going to the toilet, but somehow I still prefer it to the sharp spasms that lasted for hours from pre-surgery BMs. I also have less and less blood, but more puss? Puss is normal right?

I know everyones experience is different but anyone ever heard of such intense pain from BMs, and then just mild discomfort? I thought perhaps it had to do with the stitches more than the LIS.

Thank you and godspeed to all those recovered and recovering from AF. I cant wait to resume normal life again
Assman91

Topics: 1

Re: Massive Pain with BM Post-LIS and Stitches

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 06 Jul 2019, 06:34

your symptoms sound like an infection / abscess. you should get it checked out.

wishing you a speedy recovery!
Deleted User 4536

Postby chachacha » 06 Jul 2019, 09:07

You could also try pooping standing up. After my hemorrhoidectomy (and I wish that I'd thought of it after my LIS), I instinctively wanted to stand and thought that sitting, and spreading the anus open, would cause more pain. Since I didn't do both though, I can't say for sure that it was better, but it felt right to just stand and have the poop drop out.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Assman91 » 07 Jul 2019, 04:34

Went to the ER yesterday and thankfully no infection! The puss seems to be clearing up yesterday and today, and @chachacha I tried squatting and not totally sure it made a difference (was raising my feet before with a bucket) but the pain is not as intense as yesterday so overall good sign! You always hear squatting is more natural, plus its a good leg workout lol. Ill keep this updated since so many threads make LIS seem like a walk in the park when its been anything but (though again might be for the stitches) so hopefully someone with similar problems in the future can have hope (assume I do indeed heal properly)
Assman91

Postby chachacha » 07 Jul 2019, 09:10

No, I didn't mean squatting, because that would also splay open the anal area. I straddled the toilet while standing up straight and then just let it all fall out. Good that there's no infection though and things seem to be improving a bit.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Assman91 » 09 Jul 2019, 05:20

Day 7 update: saw surgeon yesterday and she felt the pain was indeed from the stitches and the scar was fairly closed so she removed them then and there (including my screams, poor patients outside thinking theyre going to see some torture doctor). Pain has gone from 10/10 during a BM at day 4, to 6/10 yesterday pre-appointment and maybe 5 today. So stitches removal was not an immediate relief but hopefully everyday the pain will subside during a BM. Was told to have another week of leave, so feeling like this is sort of the decisive week to know if this thing will work or not, and if the pain does not get worse during a BM I will be glad I got it to get rid of the spasms, but so far LIS obviously isnt a miracle cure but Im still optimistic. Keeping it clean with 3 sitz baths per day, drying with gauze, and keeping the fiber up.
Assman91