Infection?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Infection?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 14:50

The incision is basically right on the anal verge, possibly just a tiny bit inside. They kind of spread you out when they do it, so it most likely isn't something you can just see on the buttocks. Abscesses, however, can look like little lumps on the outside of the buttocks, because they are filling with fluid from the other side. That's what mine looked like. They can also be very small. Mine was smaller than a pea. If it keeps draining, then that may prevent it from growing very large.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 14:52

Well unless it's gone by tomorrow I'll be calling the doc to be safe.

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 15:27

So how are abscesses treated? Hopefully that isn't what this is, but if so, wondering what i have to expect in terms of fixing/healing.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 15:40

Oof okay so I know this isn't what you want to hear, but usually surgically :( Sometimes folks try antibiotics for smaller, more superficial infections, but abscesses are generally considered a surgical issue. Perianal abscesses, if that ends up being what it is, need to be cut, drained, and any fistulous tract has to be unroofed to lower the risk of recurrence. In my case I basically had a second surgery to treat it. The sooner you catch it, the less chance there is of a fistula that makes it recur down the line.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 15:41

Wow, was hoping a quick fix in the docs office if anything.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 15:48

I think sometimes they can be lanced in the doctor's office. Basically they numb the area with topical analgesics and then use a scalpel to slice it open and let it drain. That'll get rid of the swelling, but doesn't disrupt any fistula on the other side that may have caused it. The literature all says to do a proper abscess incision/drainage/fistulotomy surgery for them, but some docs opt to try the quick fix first along with antibiotics.
In my case, we tried the quick fix first, but I couldn't tolerate the pain, so we wound up opting for the full procedure in the office. Glad I did as the problem didn't recur.
Hopefully you won't have to worry about any of this though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 18:29

Hopefully. Still hoping its just stitches dissolving (could explain the bit of additional blood with last bm and bit of discomfort). The amount of discharge is like 1mm by 1mm on tp once or twice a day(the colored stuff at least, still having some clearish stuff which I've had since day 1). No stains on clothing so thinking pretty minimal. Either way going to call the doc tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2010, 07:40

Earliest the doc can see me is Wednesday so will be waiting until then. The bump seems to be getting smaller so not sure what to make of that. Still some bleeding with bm(that's been on and off since the surgery) and bit of discharge, but only the clearish stuff I've had since day 1 mixed with some pink.

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2010, 14:23

Hey there,
Hopefully the doctor will be able to put your mind at ease and you don't have an infection!

Postby Guest » 22 Dec 2010, 16:31

Looks like I'm good to go. Doc checked the bump and the whole area. Said looks like I'm healing nicely and he saw nothing to be concerned about at all. Said he couldn't really explain the odd drainage but sees no evidence of it now and that some drainage is still perfectly normal. As for the bump, he said it wasn't anything to worry about.