Infection?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Infection?

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2010, 11:01

So the past 2 days I've noticed a small bump and occassionally when I am wiping(not always even after a bm) I get a small amount of colored(yellowish/brownish) discharge. It's not at all painful, no fever, and just itchy. Pretty sure its at the incision site. Wondering if it could be the stitches breaking down. I'd assume that an infection would be quite painful right?

Re: Infection?

Postby afugh!! » 18 Dec 2010, 20:18

From your description it seems you might have an abcess.There are different types of infections you can get after surgery from fungul infection,abcess,and the typical fever from not keeping the surgery site clean.But a bump that discharges yellowish/brown gunk might definately be an abcess.You should have the doctor who did your surgery take a look at it because if it is an abcess your gonna have to have surgery to lay it open to prevent it from forming a fistula.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2010, 23:19

I was sorta concerned about that as well but am not sure that's what it is. Don't abcess' hurt? I have no fever, no pain from the site, and the gunk is only very occassional(once or twice a day if that). The only other thing I could think of is that its the stitches dissolving.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 00:40

It's normal for there to be some drainage following surgery. It's possible that what you're seeing is normal drainage. But an abscess can't be conclusively ruled out, either. If the yellow drainage looks pus-like at all, it'd be best to get it checked out firsthand by the doc. If you tell them you suspect a possible infection, they should be able to see you on relatively short notice.
Abscesses generally will hurt to some extent. Mine was tender. It wasn't total in-your-face pain, but it did hurt for sure. They don't always cause fever, though. That usually only happens when the infection goes systemic, in which case you'd want to see the doc immediately.
In short: drainage is normal. Yellow drainage is cause to pay close attention to any additional changes down there. Abscesses will usually cause some pain or be tender, although being fresh off surgery can cause tenderness too, obviously. Don't wait for any sort of fever -- if you're unsure, get someone to look at it. At least you'll have some peace of mind that way even if it's just nothing :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby afugh!! » 19 Dec 2010, 03:24

esheesle's description matched that of one of your post after your LIS and also another boardie who I can't remember so abcess instanly popped in my head when I read esheesle's post.Hopefully it's nothing but a checkup with the doc is in order.My abcess never caused any pain or felt tender but it did get a little itchy.
Last edited by afugh!! on 19 Dec 2010, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 19 Dec 2010, 03:26

oops double post....
Last edited by afugh!! on 19 Dec 2010, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 08:04

If I still notice anything Monday I'll give the doc a call.
Did your abcesses drain mostly continuously? I only notice the colored drainage like once, maybe twice a day. The spot feels a bit smaller today to. And definitely not painful to the touch or in general, just a bit itchy occassionally, not continuously.

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 10:33

Called the weekend line and spoke with another surgeon in the practice. He said if the discomfort isn't fading by tomorrow call but that he'd be shocked if it was an infection 2 weeks after surgery.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 11:31

Abscesses don't always drain continuously. It takes time for them to fill with pus so it's likely not going to be dripping all the time. If it's smaller then that's good. It doesn't 100% rule out an abscess but it's certainly not a bad sign.
My abscess was tender but the discomfort was very subtle. So don't read too much into the fact that it doesn't feel that bad.
And that "unlikely to be an infection 2 weeks after surgery" stuff is garbage to be frank. There's a risk of infection as long as there's an open wound. My infection was diagnosed at exactly 2 weeks after surgery. If the symptoms keep up tomorrow, get it checked out to be safe. Infections are rare so most likely you're okay, but better safe than sorry. Don't let a know-it-all doc stop you from being vigilant.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 11:58

Ok, so where is the incision actually at for LIS, internal or external? The bump is a cm or so away from the actual anus so not sure if that's really all i have or not. It's definitely not internal or right on the edge.
The bump is about the size of a pea, which also sounds smaller than what most abcesses are described as.
I'll still call the doc if it isn't better to be safe.