Do you have a type D personality?

Type D personality is more common among CAF sufferers.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Do you think you have a type D(istressed) personality type?

Yes.
14%
No.
57%
Not sure.
29%

Total votes : 7

Do you have a type D personality?

Postby Ani » 08 Jul 2019, 12:28

I just came across two studies discussing personality traits, stress and psychopathology among people with a CAF.

Health-related quality of life in patients with anal fissure: effect of type D personality.

Results: Patients with anal fissure scored lower on physical roles and bodily pain dimensions of SF-36 than healthy subjects (p < 0.05). Thirty-three patients with anal fissure (33%) and 16 controls (16%) had scored above the cut-off score of the DS14 (p < 0.05). Patients with a type D personality were found to score lower on bodily pain and social roles domains of HRQL than patients without a type D personality.

Sit M, Yilmaz EE, Canan F, Yildirim O, Cetin MM. Health-related quality of life in patients with anal fissure: effect of type D personality. Prz Gastroenterol. 2014;9(2):93-8.

Stress and psychopathology and its impact on quality of life in chronic anal fissure (CAF) patients.

Results: With a mean age of 39.47, 83.3% of CAF patients were female. Anxiety-depression and stress scores were all significantly higher and functionality was lower in the CAF group compared to controls (p < 0.001); 36.7% of the patients had a triggering stress factor and 56.6% had an exacerbating stress factor; 56.7% of the patients had an ongoing Axis I psychopathology while 50% had a previous psychopathology. Pain (96.7% had pain (VAS = 6.55)) and bleeding (83.3% had bleeding (VAS = 4.14)) severity showed a negative impact on bodily pain and role limitations emotional subscales of SF36.

Arısoy Ö, Şengül N, Çakir A. Stress and psychopathology and its impact on quality of life in chronic anal fissure (CAF) patients. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017;32(6):921-4.

I think they may be up to something. I'm afraid I kind of identify with the type D personality. If the higher cortisol of Type D individuals correlates with a higher anal resting pressure (I'm not sure if this is studied*), then I can see how a type D personality and AFs are going to impact each other a negative way.

What do you think? Do you have many stressors in your life? Do you think you have a type D personality?

*This study suggests that mental stressors can indeed increase anal resting pressure.
20/01: Slowly healing fissure-like wound due to surgery
11/03: Started Diltiazem.
07/06: Barely any pain or blood, but it's not fully healed yet.
Ani
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Do you have a type D personality?

Postby chachacha » 08 Jul 2019, 13:46

No, I personally couldn't be further from a D and neither was my aunt. We've both suffered terribly on the anal end over the years, lol.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Okaybum » 08 Jul 2019, 16:04

No. I'm definitely not a type D. I suspect my husband could be, and he's fine. I'm more of an B with some A personality
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ani » 15 Jul 2019, 14:41

Thanks for the replies Chachacha and Okaybum! Are there more people willing to vote in the poll? I can't be the only type D in here, hehe.
20/01: Slowly healing fissure-like wound due to surgery
11/03: Started Diltiazem.
07/06: Barely any pain or blood, but it's not fully healed yet.
Ani
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby missy moo » 17 Jul 2019, 16:51

I'm a type C so I actually think being any type would increase your resting tone and increase your odd of getting and or keeping an af long-term
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37