Need LIS -- but I'm not quite there yet

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Need LIS -- but I'm not quite there yet

Postby jis76 » 16 Jul 2019, 11:38

Starting a journal here, and hope that things get better over the next few months. Maybe will help others...

The basics here:

* Fissures since my 20s, now 42
* First really painful bout about 8 years ago, with a couple of smaller less painful re-tears over the years. I've always been able to heal via combination of nifedipine/sitz baths.
* Been on miralax for 8 years.
* New painful bout the last few months due to constipation. It healed, then I had exam and reopened, and now in a world of hurt (pains at 8-9 worse it's ever been).

So yesterday was really bad. My pain was through the roof, worse than it was 8 years ago, worse then any time I can remember. I spent half the day sleeping, and took off work. This was tough, as I usually power through the pain and at least work at home, but I couldn't handle it this time around. 4 Sitz baths yesterday, pain finally subsided enough by the afternoon (maybe 8 hours post BM).

Today, pain wasn't as bad on BM this morning, but post pain has been about a 7 to 8. Putting the Nifedpine cream on didn't really help (and it usually does). I jumped back in the bath an hour after my post BM bath. Pain was a little better, but still pretty gnarly. I am about 4.5 hours post BM and would say the pain is about down to 5, almost enough to sit and get work done (although I can't figure out if sitting or standing is better....
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Need LIS -- but I'm not quite there yet

Postby jis76 » 16 Jul 2019, 15:20

Okay, so I've dropped from a 7-8, down to a 3-4 on pain scale today. I'm about to jump in the tub again hoping I can get this down to a 1-2. I started working about noon (about four hours post bm), that seemed to help get my mind off things for a bit.

Right now just really sore. I am already stressing about tomorrow's BM. Drank almost a gallon of water today.
Praying that tomorrow will be a much better day (maybe only an hour or two of searing pain instead of 4).
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 17 Jul 2019, 07:53

BM this morning at 8 AM (as soon as I woke up ... I let myself sleep in some). Pain was a 2-3 during BM -- glass shard feeling.

Filled tub, 2-5 minutes later burning started, pain around 7-8. Sat in tub 15 minutes... did very little, but was bearable pain. Got out of tub, pain became unbearable in the 7-8 range. Is this burning pain because of the open wound or am I having ultra painful spasms? I though I had spasms before, but this pain is what I would call 'non-functional' pain... I can barely do anything ... besides write on the anal-fissure board.

So I am trying Ice at this very moment, and I would say it appears to be working.... took that pain from unbearable down a couple points to where I'm not cursing the world.

Stop the little demon from sawing in to my anus please :~!@:
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby appleapple » 17 Jul 2019, 08:41

Sorry you are going through this. I can totally relate. My spasms were the "non-functional" type too. Wiped me out completely useless. All I could do was lie in bed on my stomach. Maybe massage your bum (or do very gentle finger dilation if you can) to lesson the spasms?
appleapple
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby jis76 » 17 Jul 2019, 11:53

Thanks apple... Today has been the worst day since I've had this problem (10+ years). I've basically given up, and asked if they could rush me in for LIS surgery early next week.

This has got me super sad... Was planning a family vacation the following week, but If this keeps up I won't be able to go (surgery or no surgery... I can't imagine driving 5 hours in this much pain, or even still being in this much pain 5 days from now). Kids are going to be super dissapointed :(
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 17 Jul 2019, 13:25

Well, it didn't take long.

I am over 6 hours post BM and slightly more functional now. This has been the worst day of my entire 10+ year fissure experience. I called CRS with pain, and the only option they gave me was get in for the LIS. I'm done dealing with this, and can't deal with this kind of pain and work so I feel like I have to do something. I can't imagine the LIS pain being worse than what I've gone through since Monday of this week.

I am in the system and should be in the Operating Room for LIS on 7/22. My surgeon has done a 1000 of these so I feel like I am good hands.

Of course I am wondering some if this is actual fissure pain or something else. The pain feels more external. It's a , burning throbbing pain that made me want to throw a chair through a window. It doesn't hurt right after the BM, but about 2-5 minutes later steadily growing to what I describe as hell on earth.

It's been about 6.5 hours since the BM this morning and pain has dropped from maybe a 8-9 for me to a 5 right now. Just got a call from the office no wimping out now, LIS it is!
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 17 Jul 2019, 17:34

It's 10 hours since my BM and I'm finally feeling normal again. Geez... today sucked. I still keep wondering why the pain is all the sudden so bad, and a little voice keeps thinking I have an abcess or something else that is causing the pain. Anybody? I am nervous about the procedure, but also looking forward to feeling like I do now more of the day instead of how I have been feeling every day this week.

Think I should call the surgeon to make sure that he has a good look around while I'm under....
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 18 Jul 2019, 14:45

Today was much better pain wise. I would say pain during BM was around 6-7, and pain peaked right afterwards. I only cursed a little. I immediately got in the tub for about 1/2 hour. After that I had a light breakfast and then iced some. I passed out afterwards, when I woke up pain was down to an 'uncomfortable feeling'. Feeling like I made some progress today after the last two days of total hell. I have not been using the nifedipine or anything else and that actually seems to be less irritating. When things are really calm tonight I may put a little nifedipine on.

Super nervous about having surgery done, but I can't live like this... been taking lots of time off from work, and I can't do this again. Another week or so off work and then hopefully be in good enough shape to get back to fairly normal, and then back to exercising in a month.

Surgery is Monday... will probably start new diary then.
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 19 Jul 2019, 09:53

Today was about the same as yesterday. Laying in bed watching tv, pain kind of comes and goes.

The key to dealing with the pain right now is:
1) Vaseline before BM ,
2) No straining
3) Get right in the bath after cleaning up a bit the BM (i have a bidet on low setting that starts that process)
4) Ice until comfortable. This is the newest thing

And then I pass out.... I've cut my coffee out entirely this week, but wouldn't mind having a cup or so this morning. Maybe just a cup or two, I'm exhausted haven't had coffee for 4 days.

3 Days till LIS and hoping for the best... maybe a little too optimistic that my fissure pain will be greatly reduced after this surgery... Not looking forward to the enema prep....
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby Tatie » 19 Jul 2019, 16:49

Wowza ! I just read your diary ...man you are suffering +++ :( From everything I have read you should definitely have major relief from the LIS. I know it is a scary decision...but you will have your life back in a few days ( YAY!!!)
Tatie
Salt Bather