Going the movicol (and diltiazem) route

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Going the movicol (and diltiazem) route

Postby Soreguy » 11 Jan 2011, 19:11

Image Dawn.
Saw my CRS today, I thought he was going to be unhappy with me taking movicol but he said it is good that I dont have any pain and things are looking good in that regard.
I told him the fiber made things worse, he said that would be because I wasnt having enough water but I told him I have atleast 3 litres a day and he said that is definitely enough. So on with the movicol it is, which I am happy about.
I asked him about Diltiazem, he has heard of it but the reason its not used in Australia is because it is not available here, I told him I could have it compounded, he said thats okay but he did not know of a compounding pharmacy. He obviously has not had a patient who has taken Dilt. because he did not know I needed a script for it, but I got one and just organized it now with the pharmacy, I am not sure how much to get though, it is going to have to last me 2-3 months with 2x a day application.
He also recommended something for the itching, Zinc Oxide powder/cream, he said some people have trouble with the cream so the powder would be preferable, the idea is to get rid of the moisture in the area.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Jan 2011, 02:23

SoreGuy, this is great to hear! Zinc oxide is used in most diaper rash creams so it should at least be soothing. Hope things continue improving or at least hold steady!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Soreguy » 07 Feb 2011, 08:01

So I have been on the dilt for about a week now, gradually increasing my dose, the only side effects so far I have noticed is mild light headedness which hits pretty fast but subsides afew minutes after application, and constant caffeine tolerance.
Just as I thought the side effects where subsiding I just applied some and the lightheadedness hit me good, I don't think it is a consistent mix, but I am not complaining as its really not an issue.
Some changes I have noticed with the AF symptoms is increased pain(not during or after BMs but at other times), and the spasms are much less severe although still there, BMs are also a little more tolerable but no where near 100%.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 07 Feb 2011, 10:17

I am so hoping my dr will prescribe this. I found out from my chemist that they had a compounding pharmacy that would do it. I am in such pain today - tried putting a little Vaseline before going to the loo, and did not make things better. Sigh. Just lying down and hoping it gets better now. )-:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 07 Feb 2011, 10:27

And I find the zinc oxide does help. What a pain in the arse this all is. Oh yes, that is what this is all about. (-:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Soreguy » 20 Feb 2011, 14:54

So I think things may be getting better. BMs are more tolerable, haven't felt that tight spasm feeling in a while, but I still need to take movicol for now, I missed a dose and got away without any blood and not much pain.
Although a BM i had the other day had a black streak in it and a black spot which is something I have never seen before, gonna have to tell my CRS about that.
I need to be more gentle when rinsing in the shower, felt some pain today which felt like it was coming from behind the tag, the pain has persisted and if I sit down wrong I think the tag tugs at the fissure. Went to clean up to stop the stinging and it seemed the blood would not stop showing up on the tissue, very bright red blood I actually felt woozy and got lightheaded.
The stinging has gone away for now tough unsure of the bleeding I just gotta be gentle with sitting down I think and in general with application and cleaning.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Soreguy » 22 Mar 2011, 16:45

Well I think I am on the path to recovery.
Things are still tight but last troublesome BM I had did not produce much bleeding or pain at all, things are generally not as uncomfortable either.
It seems the fissure will heal before things will begin to relax there.
I wish there was more information on these forums about the healing process.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Bumbutt » 23 Mar 2011, 02:29

I agree with you on the point of wanting more information about healing and what the path can be like when healing a fissure without LIS. I've tried to document a little bit my own experience (under the Zingers post) - just in case I am healing.
I'm pain and discomfort free these days - but what puzzles me is still some occasional blood on the TP.
So, keep up your good routine, and hopefully you will be a "story of healing"! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby mk87 » 24 Mar 2011, 05:11

Story of healing would probably be different for every person on this forum. Some have problems even after going the LIS route. Some heal just fine and they dissapear from this forum.
I have the fissure for 7 months now, with lots of pain in the beginning and a lot less pain nowadays. But not healed yet. I am going to take a laxative as well to push it to the next level in lowering the pain.
Doc who did my sigmoidoscopy said it wouldn't heal on it's own. But i would still like to give that a try. Especially after I read that healing could take up to two months even after you had LIS. So getting rid of it without the spasms etc could take just as long. So i'll have to be patient. My next step is as i said, a laxative and see how it goes from there.
No blood though, haven't had that for weeks.
mk87
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Elphie » 24 Mar 2011, 05:23

I have not had any bleeding since starting miralax two weeks ago, Monday I stopped using the nifedipine and I have less pain. Waiting to try the sufrexal from Mexico...
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10