Alternatives to Calmol

Looking for an alternative to Calmol that's available in New Zealand

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Alternatives to Calmol

Postby calmoljunkie » 31 Mar 2020, 06:34

Hi folks. I use a calmol suppository every day to keep my anal fissure problem in control. The thing is, I've been abroad lately in New Zealand, and because of the coronavirus situation, I'm gonna stay here longer than expected. Not sure if my Calmol supply is going to last, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. They don't seem to have Calmol or any equivalent here. Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative to Calmol? If so, maybe I can find something similar in NZ. I see they have something called Anusol, which is made of Peru Balsam, Zinc Oxide, and Benzyl Benzoate: https://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/products/ ... positories . Any idea whether this might be a good choice? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
calmoljunkie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Alternatives to Calmol

Postby chachacha » 31 Mar 2020, 11:36

Do you know how much longer you'll be there, or is it dependent on COVID-19? If it's going to be for quite some time, could you order from Amazon? If they're shipping from outside NZ, it might take longer, but be worth doing soon, so at least it will begin its trip now, rather than after you fully run out.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby calmoljunkie » 31 Mar 2020, 20:44

Thanks for the reply. Not really sure how much longer, it's dependent on the virus and the situation back in the states. Yeah, it might be worth just ordering it from the states, though international shipping seems to be unpredictable right now. If there's an alternative that I can buy at the pharmacy here jn NZ, that would be better. But if not, I'll just order from ebay or Amazon and hope for the best.
calmoljunkie
Fibre Addict

Postby Lady_Fissure » 19 Apr 2020, 09:08

Hello, I'm from NZ and although I've never used suppositories, I looked up the data sheet for the steroid cream I use (Ultraproct) and it mentions suppositories on the sheet (bottom of page 2) so they must also do those as well. Link: https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/c ... aproct.pdf

Also just curious, apologies if you already knew this but there is a chance that it is sold over here but prescription only so you wouldn't find it in store. So it might be worth ringing up a pharmacy nearby and asking if it's something they stock, otherwise they''re bound to have an idea of the closest match for you :) If this is the case, you will need to have a doctors appointment so they can prescribe it to you although in these circumstances there is a chance they may be okay with just faxing the script through to the chemist instead.

Fingers crossed though, it'll be announced 4pm today whether or not we stay at level 4. I hope you're having a nice time over here regardless though, it's a shame that you were caught in these circumstances :(
Lady_Fissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby calmoljunkie » 21 Apr 2020, 06:18

Thank you. I am actually having a nice time in spite of the lockdown. I've been spending it in Queenstown which is a great place to be right now.

I appreciate the recommendation. I will look into it and see if it works for me.
calmoljunkie
Fibre Addict