32 hours after Lis - Pain and bleeding

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

32 hours after Lis - Pain and bleeding

Postby PM » 23 Dec 2010, 13:41

I new to this forum and Im from Denmark, so excuse my spelling and other mistakes Image
I just had LIS yesterday and the surgeon said the pain would't be much more bad than after botox (I had to and hardly had any pain afterwards). I was bleeding a lot yesterday and after my first BM this morning (that was to liquid) the pain was so bad and lasted for 3 hours. When I was washing up a felt something wird down there and had to have a look Image There was this purple/red/black thing from where I think the blood might be comming from. What is this? It's very sore and I think that is was causing the bad pain :( I had another BM (again too liquid) and the pain was even wors and I had spasms that even got to the butcheek in the side the incision was made. It lasted for a couple of hours and now Im just sore, but still bleeding a little sometimes. Is this normal? Im very worried and afraid I made a mistake with this surgery. Maybe the surgeon did something wrong Image
My painkillers are ibumetin (600mg 3 times a day) + pinex (parcetamol) 2 x 4.
I use fiber supplements and magnesia Dax and have been doing that for the last year since my fissur occured. I think itґs a laxative. What is stool softner? sound like something I culd use insted.
Hope someone you post-LIS could help me. Im so scared about BM tomorrow and how to get through christmas Image
Merry christmas to all of you Image
PM
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 32 hours after Lis - Pain and bleeding

Postby William » 23 Dec 2010, 17:18

Welcome, PM!
Sounds like you may need to call your doctor, especially since you are having spasms and so much pain.
That purple/red/black thing may just be a hemorrhoid. Does it look like a little balloon? I have one that I get fairly often with hard stool. I saw it with my first post-LIS BM.
The popular stool softeners around here are Ducosate Sodium (Colace) and Miralax. The first one allows water to leech into your intestines, softening the stool. Not sure how the second one works. I've been on Ducosate for over a year now.
Good luck and hope you get to feeling better!
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 23 Dec 2010, 17:23

Hey there pm,
I don't have much time but wanted to say I had spasms after lis too and they called me in valium. It really helped and soon they went away.
Have you tried miralax? It's been a lifesaver for me during my lis recovery. Don't take harsh laxatives! They cause the burns.
Don't worry about a little blood and swelling. Thats all normal.
Take care, hope you feel better soon!
Dawn
A little blood is normal after lis though

Postby Guest » 23 Dec 2010, 17:25

ps... did you just have lis or did you have a skin tag removed or anything else?

Postby mrfissure » 23 Dec 2010, 19:17

Hi PM,
Just thought I'd chime in since I'm in the middle of a similar experience, I think. I had LIS six days ago. I had lots of bleeding at first. Really, really lots. Now it's less, but still bleeding slowly throughout the day. Since the LIS I've had one perfectly formed stool every day (practice makes perfect!) but with bleeding and intense spasm pain that goes away (more or less) after 5-10 minutes in a hot bath. I have moderate pain off and on throughout the day. All my pain feels like it's from the incision, not the fissure, although the spasming after BM feels just like fissure pain. Overall, I think (knock on wood) that the level of pain is decreasing ever so slightly. I took hydrocodone for the pain for the first two days, and a couple of times since, and also several times 5-10 mg of ativan, which is like valium.
With the pain and spasms I was a little worried that something isn't right so I went to see the dr. today. She confirmed that the incision site is bruised and sore and that's probably what's causing all the pain. I told her about the spasms and she said that it's unusual to have spasms and pain at the point I'm at, six days out from the operation. I wonder, is it really that unusual? After all it's an incision in a very sensitive place, no?
Anyway she prescribed "tincture of time"--in other words, wait a couple of weeks and hope for the best. Please keep us updated on your progress and I'll do the same. Happy healing!
Mr. F. :D
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby happyass » 24 Dec 2010, 08:20

mr fissure, you are back!
i know this would be the completion of week no. 1 post LIS.
just want to say that i am thinking of you and even tho recovery is a challenge, i know it will all work out for you.
may week no. 2 be even better yet!
take care man.
happy
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby PM » 25 Dec 2010, 01:55

Thank you sll so much for tsking the time to answer me - Im so glad :D
This is the 3. day after LIS and I already feel better. The pain after BM is bearable now - the first day was helle and I felt like jumping ut the window. Yesterday was ok. And today a little better. Still stinging and some spasms. All from the insicion site. I don't feel the fissure at all. The red/purple/black thing is still there, but a lot smaller. It dosn't look like a hemroid, but more like it's filled with "real" blood. Im a bit worried about it, but will contact the hospital on monday, if it's still there. There's still a lot of swelling and bruising, but I feel better and my hope for a fissure-free-life is back :D
Mrfissure: Good luck with your recovery - I hope your spassm and soreness will go away real soon.
Again thank you all. And merry christmas Image
PM
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Dec 2010, 02:51

PM, try googling a picture of a perianal hematoma. Is that what it looks like?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby PM » 25 Dec 2010, 04:33

Thanks for the advice. No i don't think that's what it is (im not sure though . but I hope not!). Actualy it dosn't look like it comes from inside. But more like it's attached outside. Hard to explain but it's more long than wide. maybe 1 cm long 0,5 cm wide. It's sore and the bleeding comes from that aerea. Maybe like if your finger gets squized and you get that blue/purple blood thing afterwards.
Sounds like it's not a normal part of the recovery, so I better contact the hospital monday if it's stille there.
PM
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumbutt » 26 Dec 2010, 06:17

PM - I am in Sweden, and I thought I would give you a tip on what the name of the stool softener is in Sweden that a lot of people on this forum take. In US/UK it is called Miralax or Movicol, but here in Sweden it is called Laxido or Moxalole. They all have the same ingredient listing. Maybe the name of the product is similar in Denmark? They list it as both a laxative and a stool softener. Good luck with the healing.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7