help :(

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: help :(

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2010, 12:07

Hey Jal,
a fever doesn't sound good. I'm not sure that a couple of days would make a difference. You could go to the hospital if things get worse though.
I had a fissure for 8 months and about lost my mind! Coping is the hardest part....
But YES, you need to go to the potty everyday with a fissure. Are you taking a stool softener? Miralax works really well for most people and makes bathroom time a little easier. Just don't hold your bowel movements! You don't want the bm's to get harder or cause constipation!!
Try to get a fair amount of fiber from fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Some people take fiber supplements like metamucil or benefiber. It made my bm's too bulky and hurt worse, so I just ate 20-25 g's of fiber a day. You kind of have to experiment and see what works best for you since we are all different. But be sure and drink plenty of water when increasing fiber or you could get constipated...I drink a gallon a day for example. That may be over board but I suggest you drink until your pee looks like culligan came( clear).

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2010, 12:08

Yayy Paul's here! Thank goodness! :)

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2010, 12:12

PaulsPain wrote:If you have temperature and are dizzy - this is a pretty good indication of an infection assuming you are not sick with something else - cold, flu, etc. Nothing to play around with. I would try to get a hold of somebody today. I am not sure where you are located.... You mention exams. Is there a student health service available to you?

The bump you are feeling could be an abscess that has formed. They are serious and need to be dealt with immediately to prevent further complications such as sepsis or a fistula forming.
Sorry to sound a little alarming. I have had an abscess. I had a low grade fever (99-100 F), felt terrible, fatigued, etc. I had mine drained surgically in Sept.

Hey Paul,
can an abscess develop that quickly? I never knew that or I would have really been freaking out!

Postby jal » 31 Dec 2010, 12:29

oh no, lol i just ordered benefiber.. is it normal to still hurt even what the stool is soft.. eh this is so annoying. what an unfortunate condition this is
jal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby PaulsPain » 31 Dec 2010, 12:31

Hey Dawn-
In my case it happened very fast. I had a fever that side lined me for a day with pain. But I couldn't feel a lump. Then the abscess slowly got larger and larger until it was obvious were it was located.
Tell you the truth, I am worried I am getting another one right now. I have a very tender area that started about a day ago. So I am watching my temp and pain. Always something.....
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby jal » 31 Dec 2010, 13:00

has anyone had a constant throbbing in the area... could be pressure from needing to have bm.. but i find i get urgent to go for bm but then its hard to go and the stool is very small.. maybe an increase in fiber? the reason i havent increased it already is cos when i do eventually go the stools are quite bulky.. its still SO painful to go which surprises me because i have achieved soft stools. is that normal? or may i have another problem.
jal
Fibre Addict

Postby jal » 31 Dec 2010, 14:17

and also what do you think of mineral oil... i was thinking it should be okay to take as long as you dont too close to meals.. does anyone know where i can buy it in the uk
jal
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2010, 15:22

jal wrote:oh no, lol i just ordered benefiber.. is it normal to still hurt even what the stool is soft.. eh this is so annoying. what an unfortunate condition this is

Yes It can still hurt even when your Bm's are soft. Keeping them soft makes it more bearable.

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2010, 15:26

jal wrote:has anyone had a constant throbbing in the area... could be pressure from needing to have bm.. but i find i get urgent to go for bm but then its hard to go and the stool is very small.. maybe an increase in fiber? the reason i havent increased it already is cos when i do eventually go the stools are quite bulky.. its still SO painful to go which surprises me because i have achieved soft stools. is that normal? or may i have another problem.

Jal, you may be having spasms which for me caused incomplete bm's. My muscle wouldn't relax and allow me to have a complete bm in one setting.
Like Paul said, you may have an abscess which could be adding to your discomfort and needs to be checked out right away! An abscess(infection) is pretty serious and needs medical attention!
I'm not sure about mineral oil. Have you tried movicol. Many people have had good results with it. It's miralax here in the US but It's callled Movicol in the UK.
Are you still running a fever? Do you have any symptoms that may suggest you are getting the flu? If not I'd be really concerned about the bump being an infection.

Postby jal » 31 Dec 2010, 15:51

yeah im thinking it could be an anorectal abscess.. i cant think why else there would be swelling. im still running a fever but then again my mum has the flu so i could have it too (hopefully) lol. im gonna call the nhs tomorrow but thank you all so much for your help. its really nice that ttheres a forum with such supportive people for fissures.. its a real help
jal
Fibre Addict