Manuka Honey

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Manuka Honey

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2011, 04:55

Hi everyone,
Has anybody tried this stuff. It comes from New Zealand and has properties that other honey doesn't. It is supposedly promotes healing and prevents infection. There is lots of research to be read if you want on the internet including documented results/findings from a whole team of scientists at a university in NZ.
Any thoughts, personal experience of this stuff?

Re: Manuka Honey

Postby Bumbutt » 06 Jan 2011, 05:46

I guess no one else has tried Manuka Honey! :roll:
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2011, 13:31

Uhmm, I think you maybe correct! Well i decided that I would use it anyway. My reasoning being that its natural so it was unlikely to do me any harm.
Three days later I'm happy to report the following:
a. The honey has had no bad reaction with my skin.
b. The bleeding has stopped.
c. My wife has looked at the area and assures me the redness is not so red.
d. The red area has reduced in size a little.
e. The soreness has reduced as well.
So far so good. It may have been heading that way but I have to point out that these results have occurred even with a not very soft 4 BM day yesterday.
The only down side is the honey 'melts' a bit as it warms down there and tends to run a bit Image. Also my wife nows thinks its hilarious to call me 'sweet cheeks'. Image
This seems to be ok so far for me but anyone trying this should read up as much as possible etc not just base their decision on my 'test'.

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2011, 15:31

Hey sweet cheeks, I mean split!! Lol
It's good to hear things are turning in the right direction for you! Hopefully this will all be just a bad memory for you soon!

Postby pinky » 06 Jan 2011, 17:14

My hubby was told about manuka honey a few days back at work for my baby's eczema.we tried on her for a day but she got rashes as she's very allergic.not sure if it was manuka honey as something else.ive heard of its properties and supposed to be a very good one.
hope it does it for you.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2011, 14:07

dawn wrote:Hey sweet cheeks, I mean split!! Lol
It's good to hear things are turning in the right direction for you! Hopefully this will all be just a bad memory for you soon!

Yea me too.......I mean, "sweet cheeks", its just embarrassing!!! Image

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2011, 14:31

pinky wrote:My hubby was told about manuka honey a few days back at work for my baby's eczema.we tried on her for a day but she got rashes as she's very allergic.not sure if it was manuka honey as something else.ive heard of its properties and supposed to be a very good one.
hope it does it for you.

Hi Pinky, thats not good for your littl'un. I hope she's ok now. Just out of interest did you use a particular strength honey? It comes with a scaled strength indicator, I think it goes upto about '+25'. I have no idea if that might have caused the reaction just curious. Do you think it may be due to it being a combination of flowers/pollen/allegies etc?
By the way my wife suffers a little with eczema and uses a product called sudocrem with good results. This is also for use with nappy rash therefore designed with babies in mind. Just a thought.

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 15:20

Just in case any one is looking into this stuff, for me it seems to work well. I'm sure its helped heal my surgical wound but I was having issues with infection. This has stopped since using the honey. Additionally when I mentioned it to my CRS he said how good it is, his only negative comment was its expensive (UK have strange rules and can't prescribe this type of product hence his never saying about it before).
Not for everyone I'm sure but its certainly helped me. Image

Postby alpinestrawberry » 21 Jan 2011, 22:23

Thanks for putting this out here. I've thought about trying manuka honey, and I still might. I had a reaction to something in the antibiotic ointment that I tried, and long story short, I won't touch that stuff again.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17