5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2011, 09:25

Hey Steve,
good to hear the fybogel is perfect for you. Nobody wants to poop all day. I only go 1-2x's a day w/ the miralax, thank goodness. I just really don't know when I should stop using it. I'm thinking around 6 months post-op, I will slowly taper off. What do you think? I've been taking it 3 months.

Postby StevePain » 16 Jan 2011, 09:47

If it works for you dawn then I think you'll be fine staying on it but that's totally up to you, BTW do you still have leakage issues or has it cleared up now
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2011, 12:43

Hey Steve,
the leakage thing seems to be getting better. It just happens after a bm. It's like I have to clean there a couple of times after then It's all good to go.
I'm worried about the miralax and having side effects. I read on here where I believe you said there's a possibility of anal stenosis? That really scares me! My bm's are soft but formed with it though... I'm also worried about how things will move on there own after stopping it. I got my fissure from being constipated. It wasn't a common thing for me but did happen a few times when I was pregnant. The incident when I got the fissure was pretty rough though. I was constipated for like a week before I could go. I ate terrible and I can't really remember how frequent my bm's were. I never paid attention until this happened.
How long did you take miralax before stopping? I'm a little afraid of fiber because of my experience w/ metamucil, but I'm thinking of trying benefiber in the future when I stop miralax. I'm just kind of racking my brain with all this cause I don't want to mess up a good thing.
Are you still having leakage? I talked to a women I know who's husband had LIS about 25 years ago and she was pretty open w/ me( very nice) and said her husband said he still feels like he has moisture ,like he has to wipe when he passes gas Image She said he quit stool softeners at 6 months after LIS and never took fiber. He just eats really healthy.

Postby StevePain » 16 Jan 2011, 13:30

Hey dawn, I wouldn't worry too much about having side effects, I think the odds are pretty minimal tbh, Stenosis occurs more because of scar tissue or overzealous hemmorhoidectomy, so I think you're pretty safe!
I had been taking Movicol for about a year (possibly longer) and have not found it difficult to come off, I much prefer Fybogel anyway as it's a natural fibre drink which keeps my stools pretty consistent and well formed which gets the anus used to stretching again rather than slim snake like stools produced when I take Movicol, I believe it's important to pass bulky stools to keep the anal passage from narrowing over time (Stenosis)
Maybe the leakage is a permanent thing associated with LIS, although today it isn't present but more often than not it's there and sometimes feels like I've shit myself (sorry TMI lol)
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2011, 15:17

My leakage just causes irritation, then I know I need to clean it again. Kind of like you didn't wipe right the first time....
I know what you mean about the movicol and the snake like stools. That happens to me most of the time. I'm definitely going to try and stop taking it in a few more months just to be on the safe side with the narrowing stuff. It's good to know you stopped after a year and things are ok with that.
I do wonder if the leakage is permanent for some after LIS.... We're still pretty fresh from the surgery, so hopefully with time it will go away.
I'm still 100% better than I was before surgery and would take this any day over the fissure and spasms.
Thanks Steve:)

Postby PaulsPain » 16 Jan 2011, 19:36

I also have this where most of the time I have to go back and clean more after a BM.
So here is my theory: I think it is a combination of a weakened sphincter muscle along with a fissure friendly diet. I think the soft stool gets caught in the anal canal. Now that the muscle is weaker, from the LIS, the stool isn't squeezed out like it may have been before when the muscle goes back into a resting position after a BM. Then over time the stool that was caught slowly leaks out requiring more cleaning. I have noticed when I have a more formed larger stool I don't need to do a post cleaning.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 17 Jan 2011, 03:36

Yeah that sounds about right, it's the same for me, if I have a big well formed stool then less cleaning is required, it's definitely because of the LIS, it's just uncomfortable when some fluid leaks out or you F@RT and it's all wet, not fecal matter just wet fluid, although not a regular thing, still very annoying when it happens and sometimes it irritates the skin outside the anus
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 31 Jan 2011, 15:00

I haven't had any more blood on the TP just discomfort after BM, kind of like pre surgery days but not as intense, anyway I'm not prepared to leave it this way and am trying to get a referral to see my CRS, God only knows how long this will take!!
I'm trying not to think the worst but it's hard when things go bad, at nearly 6 months post-op I should be feeling great, instead I can't help feeling that I'm going forward a little then taking a giant leap back, set backs are to be expected I know that but just how many I don't know, it's been a bumpy road that's for sure and right after surgery I knew this would be hard because of the level of pain I was in.
I have prepared myself for what could be a second surgery down there depending on what my CRS says (when I get to see him), I know it will be more pain but I just want that glimpse of hope I had earlier to be a more permanent thing, I need my life back, enough is enough.
Despite things the way they are I'm still gonna fight this thing mentally with positive thoughts, it may of won the battle but I'm gonna win the war!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 31 Jan 2011, 15:52

I like your attitude, Steve!! I'll give the update to Dwight when I return (hopefully) on Wednesday. This makes me mad about you. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2011, 17:31

Hang in there Steve. I just wonder if the fissurectomy is the reason it's taking so long to heal?!
It seems the healing is so different for everyone. Who knows why... Maybe by the time you see your CRS again, it will be healed. You just never know!
Maybe you are like Fissy and the second time is going to be the charm!!
You have really been through so much. Keep your spirits up! You're going to beat this mess. Image

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?