5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Postby StevePain » 08 Jan 2011, 17:20

I've been enjoying a virtually pain free ass for about a month or so, that was until today when I had more BM's than usual and after wiping there was blood on the TP, pain also followed, granted it's not as severe as the bad fissure days but is still quite sore with stinging and burning, I'm thinking it's the old fissure site that has re-tore slightly and not a fresh fissure :( it just goes to show that your ass is still at risk even after LIS so don't take it for granted people.
Due to the festive season, over eating and rich foods etc, I think that's what has contributed as well as pushing a bit too hard during BM, anyway all junk foods are officially off the menu now until I know for sure what's going on, hopefully I'll be able to recover from this with some dietary changes and extra stool softeners, I'll keep posted on my progress or lack of!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: 5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2011, 18:48

Yes Keep us posted, Steve. I sure hope this is just a temporary set back for you!!
Were you just eating everything you wanted without keeping up with your fiber intake? I've been eating a lot of sweets but still eating all vegetarian basically. Is there something you think we should definitely avoid? I haven't taken the plunge and ate any fried foods meat, cheese, chips/ any sharp foods. I'm thinking it may be a good idea for my to continue this for about a year?!
Take care:) It's good hearing from you on here just wish this wasn't the reason why Image

Postby StevePain » 09 Jan 2011, 03:39

Hi dawn, yeah I was eating basically anything but was also keeping up with fibre intake, I really think it was the over eating and rich foods at Christmas that have triggered this latest attack.
I think you're being very sensible keeping off the fried foods, meat, cheese and chips if you can, the only reason I started eating anything was because I lost too much weight on the diet, initially I was having no problem passing BM even after eating cheese and meat but it's now off the menu, I'm having plenty of veg today and am back on the Movicol to try and nip this thing in the bud before it gets out of hand again
Take care - Steve
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2011, 08:27

Steve,
it would be nice if the doctors would tell us if we need to avoid certain things for a period of time?! I'm sorry this has happened to you and hope that it heals fast since you are set up now with a looser butt. I would have done the same thing at the point you are at. It would seem you are safe this long after LIS but I think as fissy said in some of the other post, it takes a year, maybe longer and we have to be careful for ever.
Image Back to you!

Postby StevePain » 11 Jan 2011, 14:45

Update...
The past few days have been relatively ok, I've had no blood since saturday but have had mild discomfort right after BM which can last a few hours, I've switched back to Movicol to get things running smoothly..
I believe it's definitely what I've eaten that's caused the bleeding and pain, so it's back to soup again for a while, I'm glad I had the LIS now because any new fissure will have a greater chance of healing as would any re-tear of old fissure, so no regrets there.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Jan 2011, 02:39

Ahhh there it is, looks like you did anger the ass problems via glorious overindulgence Steve Image I've been riding the Miralax train a bit more than usual these last few weeks myself. Been working some junk foods back in but not too many different kinds at once! Honestly it's gonna be tough to trust the ol' ass until it's been running fully normally for a while. Probably on the order of years rather than months to be honest.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 12 Jan 2011, 03:50

Indeed NG, I now know this is gonna take years not months which makes the CRS suggested healing time of a week or so seem even more ludicrous!! Image
NG, I definitely overindulged including Guinness and Sherry to drink Image I really thought things were going great, just goes to show how vulnerable the old ass is, funny thing is how quick we forget once the pain has subsided we resume our old habits.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Jan 2011, 18:19

StevePain wrote:I really thought things were going great, just goes to show how vulnerable the old ass is, funny thing is how quick we forget once the pain has subsided we resume our old habits.

BWAHAHAHAHA this is SO TRUE!!! Two years ago I was ready to demand a colostomy and swore that I'd eat veggie soup for the rest of my days. Now it's "boo hoo I have blood on the toilet paper because I ate too much garbage" Image Weird how that U-turn just happens.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 14 Jan 2011, 03:46

The first sign of blood and you just stop dead in your tracks.. It's like the biggest wakeup call ever...
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 16 Jan 2011, 09:10

Well, yesterday I had no blood, minimal discomfort but had clear fluid that kept draining from time to time, mostly right after a F@RT which was very uncomfortable :oops:
I think the re-tear (if that's what it is/was) is starting to heal again, hence the leakage, I know there is no infection because the fluid is quite clear with no serious odour.
I have totally discontinued Movicol because it makes me poop far too much, I've also stopped using Diltiazem and Nitro, the only ointment I use is chamomile both inside and outside the anus, basically I've finished with laxatives and plan on never taking them again since I never suffer from constipation or impaction, instead I only take fibre drinks (Fybogel) which bulks up stool, for me this is perfect as I don't keep pooping all day and is good for my IBS.
StevePain
King Fissure

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?