A bit lost as what to do now

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A bit lost as what to do now

Postby painful » 17 Jan 2011, 02:13

On my 3rd occurance of AF, started beginning of december, cleared up for 2 weeks then came back last thursday. I take mebrevine for ibs and fybogel for fissure, plus ditlizem cream. Plus eating prunes for breakfast.
The cream really stings for 10 mins or so after I apply it, but apart from that its ok. I have tried eating high fibure but seems to give me large Bm, I had a party to go to yesterday so decided to not eat much for friday and saturday so BM would be small, still kept the fybogel and the water up. Yesterday I thought yippee Ive cracked this, and will lose weight as had a small BM , no pain no blood, but today I had constipation from hell, but no pain and a really small amount of blood just on the last bit of the BM.
I just dont understand how i can be so constipated and the fissure not play up, then a mild one casue agony and a blood bath. However I knwo feel overstertched if you know whay I mean. And dreading tomorrow as it is always worse the day after straining for me.
Also I now have no idea what to eat. I cant eat gluten anyhow. But thought prunes for breakfast, cup a soup and fruit for lunch and then a small tea of salad, was going to be the recipe for success, keep them small etc.
I am just wonderign if the fybogel is doing more harm than good. Due to ibs I only have 1/2 dose after breakfast and 1/2 after lunch, to me my BM are better if I forget to take one and only have 1/2 a dose in a day, but surely thats not enough to have any effect anyhow.
Just read this back and realise its just a ramble, ignore me if you want as I know its all garbled, I am just speaking out aloud.
So have no idea what to do today, but feel like never eating again.
The strangest part out of all of it, is that between august and december I never had a problem with BM, and I was stuffing myself, for soem reason I was hungry / bored (maybe as kids went back to school) yet stuffing myself (I gained 3/4 of a stone in 3 months) seemed the keep the fissure at bay, but I cant do that forever can I.
painful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: A bit lost as what to do now

Postby Bumbutt » 17 Jan 2011, 03:17

Hi Painful,
I guess this fissure thing is a mystery... and it feels so frustrating to experiment when you feel you may pay with pain! That's how I felt about the dosing of both the fiber-drink and movicol.
For myself, I usually eat a good amount of fiber (around the recommended daily dose, which I counted up using a website that counts up your estimated fiber intake), but I only take a half sachet of the fiber-drink per day. It seems to be enough for me. So, maybe a half would also be ok for you.
Also, maybe you need to start with some hot water drinks in the morning too, along with your prunes. That doesn't sound like much of a breakfast anyway. Can you tolerate dairy? I eat yogurt and bran-buds and muesli and have a lot of water. It sounds like you aren't eating very much, with what you described. I know how you feel - you don't want to eat, but that isn't the way to go.
I also was having pain from the smallest of stools! It would be so frustrating because I was so ready for a constant trajectory of feeling better and better every day, but I was on a "good day, bad day, good day, bad day" schedule. I think Dawn's approach of looking at things one week at a time works much better than the daily approach.
Unfortunately, you'll have to experiment a little bit... but to me, it sounds like you aren't eating much. I would count up your fiber intake, and then maybe try 1/2 sachet of the fiber drink (it works for me), and try to get your fiber from your food.
Hope you feel better!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 17 Jan 2011, 03:24

Hey there,
I also take Fybogel with Mebeverine fibre drink (one sachet a day) it's for IBS, bowel dysfunction and can also help with fissures, it's an excellent fibre drink which I swear by, I can't see why you'd be constipated taking this supplement but if so I'd try taking Movicol as well to loosen things up and see how you go.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 17 Jan 2011, 03:27

Steve,
Is Fybogel strickly in the UK? Have never seen it in the US. I'm awake and thinking about my upcoming trip (in 2 days). :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 17 Jan 2011, 03:39

Hi cheryl, I'm not sure about that, maybe there's a generic form in the states, Fybogel consists mainly of Ispaghula husk so I'd ask about that and see what they come up with.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 17 Jan 2011, 03:49

Sounds like the new supplement I've been taking from the health food store. I take it now, instead of Metamucil.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby painful » 17 Jan 2011, 05:01

What is movicol I have searched but can only see it on US sites, I have bought milk of magnisium, does that work?
painful
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumbutt » 17 Jan 2011, 05:22

Can you say where you are located? Because it seems to be called different things depending on where you are. In the US it's called Miralax. Where I am, in Sweden, it actually goes under 3 different names. It's basically a stool softener.
I am not sure exactly what milk of magnesia does, but I think it has a different effect than Miralax/Movicol. People react differently to different things, but I think a lot of people have had good results with Miralax/Movicol.
Last edited by Bumbutt on 17 Jan 2011, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add text
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby painful » 17 Jan 2011, 06:33

Hi
Sorry should have said I am in the UK, will try to edit my profile now to show this
painful
Fibre Addict

Postby painful » 17 Jan 2011, 06:35

The milk of magnesia works by drawing water into the bowel, so softening it, but its also an indigestion remedy.
painful
Fibre Addict