New here, months in agony.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New here, months in agony.

Postby Hopeful lad » 27 Feb 2011, 08:27

Hi
Sorry to hear that it is a fissure.
I found the wheatgrass cream really worked for me for quite a long time - helping to heal my fissure on and off for a while, but now I think that I have scar tissue formed that defeats it, and I'm not currently using it.
I think the isosorbide dinitrate works the same way as the glyceryl trinitrate ointment (also called nitroglycerin ointment) that I use all the time.
I was told to use it twice a day, but have seen online a CRS practice say you can use it up to even six times a day. My own CRS said if you use it too often you develop 'Tachyphylaxis' (which apparently is: A rapid decrease in the response to a drug due to previous (long term) exposure to that drug).
However online I've seen research that suggests that as long as you have a gap of 10 or 12 hours between an application during the 24 hours you won't develop this.
I therefore try not to use it between 7pm and 7am in the hope that it will continue to work for me.
Good luck with your tests and hope your fissure heals.
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mk87 » 14 Mar 2011, 07:33

Had my Sigmoidoscopy today. Im glad i had my blood taken before the test and not after. It's not so much really painful but it's very uncomfortable....
CRS who did the scopy said it was a fissure and it won't heal on it's own. But he didn't say anything other than that... He asked if i had blood, he asked if it hurt when i went to the toilet. I said little to no blood, and it used to hurt, but not so much anymore.
Intestines looked good i guess, the scopy took a while because they couldn't make the damn turn....
Now i've gotta wait till the 31st to meet with my doctor and see what she says, but with the first appointment she said go ahead with the creme and she wasn't so sure about surgery.
I haven't really had spasms for a while now, so im a big believer in beating this the usual way and if it won't help or it's still there than i can always opt for surgery or a procedure anyway.
mk87
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby StevePain » 14 Mar 2011, 14:34

I had a similar experience with Sigmoidoscopy, I had no sedation and it was very uncomfortable, the CRS couldn't complete the scope because of the tight turn in my Sigmoid colon so it was abandoned after about 5 mins, I was glad though because I had hemmorhoids at the time and they was sore.
I hope you can beat this without surgery.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mk87 » 15 Mar 2011, 07:22

Yeah, not so much painful, but really awkward and them pushing the scope against the side of the intestines was really uncomfortable.
A day later i still have gas and im still not feeling 100% as before the scopy.
im positive i will beat this fissure without the need of surgery. I don't want to jump through hoops too soon but pain has been a nodge less noticeable again, after the scopy. really weird....
keep on believing :) Im not really doing much different than before i had my fissure. Im currently not using any ointments, im going to the toilet regularly and i push like i always do.
mk87
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 15 Mar 2011, 11:38

I have to say that I am really frightened that the doctor will do a sigmoidoscopy or anoscopy when I go next week to see the CRS. I can hardly bear the pain of touching there myself, and the thought of something being inserted without any anesthetic is making me nervous.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby mk87 » 16 Mar 2011, 15:08

Hi Savaici, I can't feel what somebody else is feeling but let's say you don't have a fissure or any pain there, than the actual scopy just feels uncomfortable from all the air blown inside, which you really need to push out otherwise you'll get cramps and if they make this turn near the end of the sigmoidoscopy you feel them pushing the tube against your intestines against the wall of your belly. I didn't even feel the actual tube sliding past the sphincter, it's not as thick as you might think.
The nurse also used some numbing creme/vaseline right before i got my enema. So that might be something that could really help out too. But it took them longer because they couldn't make the turn...
Anyway, I had a feel today and the small lump and tear like tissue is still there, no difference there. but pain has subdued even further these past 3 weeks... Let's hope it's continuing that path! i guess the pain is numbing down, this small bruise kind of pain, even though the doctor said it wouldn't heal on it's own... i haven't had any noticeable spasms for like 2 weeks now :D
- Either it's painstakingly slow healing ( ongoing for 6 months now)
- or it's turning severely chronic, but with less pain.
But im glad im experiencing less amount of pain every month or so....
Im a big believer in beating this and i think i can.
mk87
Salt Bather

Postby mk87 » 28 Mar 2011, 12:59

I have my next appointment this thursday. Im not expecting anything from the sigmoidoscopy.
So far the bruise like feeling had subdued even further. I mean there is still a wound/site inside which is almost a cm or so long. But sometimes im unaware the wound is there, only when i go to the toilet or i touch I notice that it's still there.
But so far the pain has gone down a lot ! thankfully.
I've also started taking magnesium and i've been taking it for a short week now. My ears were always ringing and that seems to be gone a whole lot and i also feel a lot more focused and energetic tbh. It's weird.
so no fissure news really, just gonna wait and wait and wait, oh but i am gonna ask for some laxative to make BM easier.
mk87
Salt Bather

Postby mk87 » 31 Mar 2011, 14:04

had my appointment today and i was told I shouldn't do any type of surgery or procedure since my pain has became lesser by the month.
Sigmoidoscopy was all okay, and my blood was fine too. I asked for a prescription to make my BM's software and i was also given a prescription for diltiazem (which isn't widely available yet here in europe :S) But she said to use it when pain flares up.
Im currently using a gauze bandage too between the cheeks and a bit to the inside. It really helps subdue the pain because it would otherwise sting... and hope it stimulates the wound to heal. The bandage has wound fluid and sometimes a little blood on there is definitely still something not right down there.
why i got the fissure, no idea, how long it could take, no idea, will it ever go away, no idea. But i don't have to come back to the CRS just maintain it and i guess it will go away. Prolly take a long time though
mk87
Salt Bather

Postby Bumbutt » 01 Apr 2011, 00:52

Your situation sounds really similar to mine... the doc wants to see it heal with ointments, and like you, I'm giving it that shot.
These days I'm doing really well, so I think that it can be possible. If I were you I would start the stool softener soon though, since that has been so helpful for me.
Here's to healing!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby mk87 » 03 Apr 2011, 12:14

I haven't tried the stool softener yet. But the thing is, in the weekend i don't go to the toilet that often, but during the week i do for 3 to 4 times.
I'm currently experiencing a short burning feeling after a second BM. The first one goes without problems, second or third one has a slightly burning sensation that lasts for a short while and then disappears.
Overall acknowledgment of the fissure has gone drastically over the months. I had this bruised feeling a few weeks ago, gone too for as far as i know. so every month i feel something different, and luckily with less pain.
mk87
Salt Bather